Back to Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology by Tel Aviv University

This class is aimed at people interested in understanding the basic science of plant biology. In this four lecture series, we'll first learn about the structure-function of plants and of plant cells. Then we'll try to understand how plants grow and develop, making such complex structures as flowers. Once we know how plants grow and develop, we'll then delve into understanding photosynthesis - how plants take carbon dioxide from the air and water from soil, and turn this into oxygen for us to breathe and sugars for us to eat. In the last lecture we'll learn about the fascinating, important and controversial science behind genetic engineering in agriculture. If you haven't taken it already, you may also be interested in my other course - What A Plant Knows, which examines how plants see, smell, hear and feel their environment: https://www.coursera.org/learn/plantknows. In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

AP

Nov 05, 2017

That was a pleasure to have such a passionate and interested in biology lecturer. I found course useful and interesting. Thank you dr. Chamovitz for let me being your student for last several weeks.

JL

Aug 28, 2017

The course does very good job for providing the planned content. However if you have already studied the field and want to have more deep understanding like I do, you need to look for other courses.

51 - 75 of 113 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

By Dilveen H j

Dec 06, 2016

Interesting and super simplified material! Thanks to the instructor.

By Elizabeth D

Jun 27, 2017

Very Interesting. The professor is obviously very knowledgeable and cares deeply about what he is teaching.

By Sandra C

Mar 26, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed the topic and the instructor. The 4 lecture was v engaging.

By Rodrigo B G

Oct 17, 2016

Very good. Each class is presented in a easy way, with short class, avoiding the course to become preachy, and with good classes about plant biotechnology

By sayna p

Jan 22, 2018

i would like to see more in depth lectures but this was a great intro, passionate professor, interesting material.

By Yu Z

Mar 06, 2017

I got full score in the week1, 3 and 4 quizzes!

By Zvi Z D C

Jul 10, 2017

Again a wonderful course, with only the transcription little problem. It is a very informative and well explained course and if you are a native English speaker, you'll enjoy even the glitches. A must if you are into biology.

By Alison C

Feb 22, 2018

I took this course as a follow up to Part 1 and it is equally good. The subject matter is very engaging (I'm a zoologist who needs to know a bit more about botany) and the lecturer has a great style. Really enjoyed this, thank you!

By Edimilson J D O

Sep 18, 2017

Super ! Hope to have the opportunity to join Part III as soon as available.

By Felipe D

Jan 18, 2018

Brilliant! the contents are well designed and explained.

By rony p r

Oct 30, 2016

It was one of the best course from Coursera and Tel Aviv university. I enjoyed a lot. The content was very good for an agriculture student. The presentation was also good.

By Antoine B

May 22, 2017

This was a very interesting and informative course on Plant Biology. I have already taken the course "What a Plant Knows", also available on Coursera, and I enjoyed it. Professor Chamovitz is a great lecturer. Thank you Professor Chamovitz for another great course on Plant Biology.

By Esraa A A A E

Jun 05, 2017

it is so amazing course really

By Yechezkel S

Oct 17, 2016

This course provides a wonderful glimpse into the world of plant biology and is delivered in a very approachable way by a clearly passionate speaker.

By Darrell T

Oct 05, 2017

great instruction! very clear. I wish all my professors were like this in college

By Arun M

Feb 26, 2017

Excellent ! Now looking for part III

By matthew s

Sep 08, 2017

Easy paced and absorbing. Thank you for this course. I have learnt much that i did not know.

By Liza v G

Jan 25, 2018

Learning about genetic engeneering is very interesting. A gene is a gene. In this course you learn why.

Thanks to Daniel Chamovitz, Ph D

By Eric H

Jun 22, 2018

A very informative and well-resourced course, presented in brief, powerful lectures accompanied by clear slides and videos.

By fernando g u

Dec 15, 2017

One of the most exciting Mooc I have had the opportunity to do.

By AT V

Dec 13, 2017

This course is an eye opener for me. I loved way plant biology is taught by Dr.Daniel Chamovitz. Now, Im exploring more of his teaching contents in web. Amazing teacher and a source of inspiration. Thank you so much for providing this course.

By Manuel J

Jul 01, 2018

Fantastic approach to basics Plant Biology. Clearly exposed by proffesor. Enjoyable course. Recommended.

By Olga C

Apr 09, 2018

As with the previous course, excellently prepared and presented material. Chosen to present contemporary goals and challenges, had real-world case studies, data from multiple disciplines, thought provoking & engaging way of presenting the material. Hope there will be more of it in the future, but my (not alkaline!) gut-feeling leads me to think otherwise...

By Iris v S

Nov 05, 2016

I loved the first course by professor Chamovitz and I loved this one. His passion for plant biology is inspiring. I hope for more courses by him.

By Violeta C