Back to Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology by Tel Aviv University

This class is aimed at people interested in understanding the basic science of plant biology. In this four lecture series, we'll first learn about the structure-function of plants and of plant cells. Then we'll try to understand how plants grow and develop, making such complex structures as flowers. Once we know how plants grow and develop, we'll then delve into understanding photosynthesis - how plants take carbon dioxide from the air and water from soil, and turn this into oxygen for us to breathe and sugars for us to eat. In the last lecture we'll learn about the fascinating, important and controversial science behind genetic engineering in agriculture. If you haven't taken it already, you may also be interested in my other course - What A Plant Knows, which examines how plants see, smell, hear and feel their environment: https://www.coursera.org/learn/plantknows. In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

AP

Nov 05, 2017

That was a pleasure to have such a passionate and interested in biology lecturer. I found course useful and interesting. Thank you dr. Chamovitz for let me being your student for last several weeks.

JL

Aug 28, 2017

The course does very good job for providing the planned content. However if you have already studied the field and want to have more deep understanding like I do, you need to look for other courses.

1 - 25 of 109 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

By Carol F

Jan 10, 2017

An interesting and informative course. A little challenging at times for those of us without a background in biology, but well presented and carefully explained. A very positive experience.

By Dawn B

Dec 03, 2018

I was so excited when I saw that Professor Daniel Chamovitz was doing another course on plants. I completed his first course some years ago. I so enjoyed that course. Two and a half years ago I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I had a hysterectomy and six courses of chemotherapy. I had heard that it can affect ones brain. So, not only have I proved to myself that my brain is functioning just fine, I have spoiled myself by taking and passing this fascinating course.

Thank you so much Professor. I hope that you will be back with another course on plants to delight me. I am a 73 years old female living in the plant paradise of Cape Town, South Africa where there are a huge variety of indigenous plants waiting to help mankind.

By Ignacio P S N

Dec 24, 2018

Solid Course plus great teaching!

By Burkhard R

Dec 30, 2018

I like the way Mr. Chamovitz is teaching. Clear voice, good subjects and a positiv attitude.

Make the world a better place!

Thanks a lot!!

By Luis s s

Feb 01, 2019

another

recommended

master class.. learn about genomics,food security and primary,plant biology

By Pierre S

Jan 16, 2019

Great course, just a bit short

By Ferdinand F

Mar 10, 2019

Lecture 4 (Week 4) was really a very delicate topic and I admire how Dr. Chamovitz had handled it very well. I believe that Dr. C was not, in any way, biased or partial to the handling of the topic. Nor had he cherry-picked. Thanks Dr. C. I am giving this a 5-star FWIW.

By jhon t a t

Mar 11, 2019

so good

By Joaquin S H

Oct 17, 2018

Excellent course, very clear and complete biology material, I am convince that undersatanding plant could be a tremendous tool to provide food in the next years, we could start ourselves and then teaching our childeren to get along with crops. It is amazing how plants respond to all the stimuli we deliver to them, in this class I have learned a lot about taking care to plants.

Thanks Prof. Daniel

By Sharjeel A

Nov 02, 2018

EXCELLENT

By Dean P

Aug 30, 2018

Professor Chamovitz is hands down one of he best professors here in Coursera. This was the most enjoyable science class I had for a long time (and I had a lot of them as a former civil engineer student and current nutritionist.).

By kripi M

Jun 24, 2017

Quite interesting, deep course. The tutor seems to have put a lot of efforts to make it a great course as it is a one. I recommend it to botany and biology students

By Carlos E P d L

Jan 21, 2017

A very interesting course about plants and how they survive and live, with a little bit of genetic engineering.

By Howard E F

Nov 06, 2016

Well done course. Dr. Chamovitz is a clear and easy to understand lecturer with a passion for his subject. In each of the two courses on plant biology I have taken with him, a highlight is when he shows us his plant biology lab to see up close just how the science we have learned in the course is applied in the lab. Understanding Plants, Part 2 takes a detailed look at plant biology at the cellular level including a look at how genes affect flowering, understanding cellular energy production and ending with genetic modification. Lectures have in-lecture questions, which are very helpful, and the quizzes are fair. I recommend the course.

By Marwan E I

Mar 01, 2017

Very useful information presented well by a knowledgeable professor who keeps you interested in the course. Thank you

By Pikulenko M M

Dec 04, 2016

Very helpful

By Naomi E W

Dec 28, 2016

This was a great way to ease my way into studying Biology more seriously

By Richard S

Jul 24, 2017

Great course! Very interesting. Awesome instructor/presenter too!

By Jeny S

Feb 21, 2017

By Debasish P

Apr 09, 2018

I am very glad to complete this course. I have never learned these things in such a easy and effective way. It broadens my area of my thinking and knowledge. Thank you, Professor Daniel Chamovitz. I will follow your courses in future.

By Paul C H

Jun 25, 2017

A really interesting and very well presented course.

By Rafael

Jun 02, 2017

Thank you Professor David, I loved it, it was great and quite interesting.

By Ángel D F

Jul 25, 2017

Fantastic course. I have learnt a lot of about plants.

By Serena P

Apr 20, 2017

This is one of the only plant biology courses on Coursera, and I wish there were more of them. It was informative and fun to watch. The only problem I had was the poor quality of the subtitles, which I believe has nothing to do with the creator of the class. The subtitles are poor enough to obscure the meaning if you are dependent on them. However, I highly recommend the class to anyone not dependent on them.

By Mark

Dec 16, 2016

Very comprehensive, not overly difficult for people who do not have a background in biology/botany