Back to Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows by Tel Aviv University

For centuries we have collectively marveled at plant diversity and form—from Charles Darwin’s early fascination with stems and flowers to Seymour Krelborn’s distorted doting in Little Shop of Horrors. This course intends to present an intriguing and scientifically valid look at how plants themselves experience the world—from the colors they see to the sensations they feel. Highlighting the latest research in genetics and more, we will delve into the inner lives of plants and draw parallels with the human senses to reveal that we have much more in common with sunflowers and oak trees than we may realize. We’ll learn how plants know up from down, how they know when a neighbor has been infested by a group of hungry beetles, and whether they appreciate the music you’ve been playing for them or if they’re just deaf to the sounds around them. We’ll explore definitions of memory and consciousness as they relate to plants in asking whether we can say that plants might even be aware of their surroundings. This highly interdisciplinary course meshes historical studies with cutting edge modern research and will be relevant to all humans who seek their place in nature. This class has three main goals: 1. To introduce you to basic plant biology by exploring plant senses (sight, smell, hearing, touch, taste, balance). 2. To introduce you to biological research and the scientific method. 3. To get the student to question life in general and what defines us as humans. Once you've taken this course, if you are interested in a more in-depth study of plants, check out my follow-up course, Fundamentals of Plant Biology (https://www.coursera.org/learn/plant-biology/home/welcome). In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

DS
Aug 14, 2021

I really liked this course, the professor was engaging, clear, and informative, and did a great job explaining and simplifying the more complex biology topics so that it was digestible for beginners.

RV
Dec 12, 2016

Love the clarity of the instructors deliver which is supported by great explanations and most importantly visual aids & demonstrations. Ps... Especially loved the bloopers at the end. Nice treat! :)

426 - 446 of 446 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part I: What a Plant Knows

By Sandra P M M

Jan 13, 2018

The videos are quite interesting, but the final test is a bit confusing.

By Ananya K

Jun 14, 2017

A very good course.. Really enjoyed it. Teaching was the best. Loved it

By Amusan M K

Dec 31, 2017

Very interesting introduction into the world of plants. Amazing!!!

By CLEMENT-COTTUZ

Nov 21, 2016

Les questionnaires sont un peu piégeux. Le cours est pas mal.

By Francine

Mar 24, 2017

Very interesting subject matter, presented very well

By Mark

Nov 1, 2016

Very informative--IMPOSSIBLY HARD FINAL EXAM though.

By FAGE D

Jan 16, 2017

Very interesting course and enthusiastic professor

By Eduardo E D

Oct 16, 2018

Learning a lot. I am very excited

By CRISTIAN D A O

Jan 21, 2018

Excellent didactics and material.

By Paul K

Nov 13, 2016

very unique method of teaching

By Gil K

Jan 12, 2018

מעניין, מחדש, פוקח עיניים.

By Laura M

Jul 20, 2017

very difficult

By Valery J S

Jul 8, 2020

Professor is interesting but I just don't get it. Algebra is much easier. No wonder I do not have a green thumb.

By Jerri. M L

Dec 14, 2020

I was stuck on 2nd week. Took the test a number of times. I used all the answers each time that were provided. And still the response was wrong with the choices given.

I took notes to refer to and still i was not successful.

By Shrihari N

Feb 24, 2021

It is an amazing course in which I learned a lot. But I still give the one star because the final quiz is extremely difficult, and has many issues that are not being addressed.

By anonymus

Nov 5, 2021

I liked the information given in this course. The professor really pushed his ideas which was very annoying. The exams are terrible, badly worded, with many typos.

By Dr. D B