Back to Ancient Philosophy: Plato & His Predecessors

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ancient Philosophy: Plato & His Predecessors by University of Pennsylvania

What is philosophy? How does it differ from science, religion, and other modes of human discourse? This course traces the origins of philosophy in the Western tradition in the thinkers of Ancient Greece. We begin with the Presocratic natural philosophers who were active in Ionia in the 6th century BCE and are also credited with being the first scientists. Thales, Anaximander, and Anaximines made bold proposals about the ultimate constituents of reality, while Heraclitus insisted that there is an underlying order to the changing world. Parmenides of Elea formulated a powerful objection to all these proposals, while later Greek theorists (such as Anaxagoras and the atomist Democritus) attempted to answer that objection. In fifth-century Athens, Socrates insisted on the importance of the fundamental ethical question—“How shall I live?”—and his pupil, Plato, and Plato’s pupil, Aristotle, developed elaborate philosophical systems to explain the nature of reality, knowledge, and human happiness. After the death of Aristotle, in the Hellenistic period, Epicureans and Stoics developed and transformed that earlier tradition. We will study the major doctrines of all these thinkers. Part I will cover Plato and his predecessors. Part II will cover Aristotle and his successors....

AA
Apr 18, 2020

Excellent course. This course has opened up ancient philosophy to me and made it accessible. I feel I have finished the course a good understanding of such keys texts as Plato's Republic and Timaeus.

LL
Mar 8, 2016

Good intro to early Greek philosophy. Dr Meyer has a simple and subtly humorous approach to the material. Dr Meyer makes the subject approachable so that the student wants to do further reading.

101 - 125 of 345 Reviews for Ancient Philosophy: Plato & His Predecessors

By IOANNA L

Jun 25, 2020

I think that this course is very useful, it helped me to understand better several issues related to the basic beliefs of the presocratic philosophers and Plato.

By Eduardo A D

Jun 24, 2020

I strongly recommend this course. It's A life changer! Ms. Meyer is a great Professor, and a wise person, she was able to create on me the hunger for knowledge.

By Marquitta F

I really enjoyed this class. It was definitely challenging and took the time that was recommended. Though confusing at times I learned a lot from this class.

By Bill D

Jun 30, 2018

Great Course, wonderful professor—highly recommend and I will be jumping on the second part of the this course soonest. Thank you for putting this togehter,.

By Marcela C

Jan 30, 2019

Great teacher, it really captures the essence of the ancient philosophers and teaches you the general views in their different philosophical perspectives.

By Kate G

Sep 25, 2017

This course was written wonderfully, the lectures are clear & detailed - the curriculum is cohesive, sensible, and useful. Really great course & teacher.

By José P d F J

Apr 17, 2020

Dear,

I need that you correct my name in the certificate. I'm José Petrúcio de Farias Junior and no 'Farias Junior'. Please I wait for this. Thank you

By Rajeev J

I've been wanting to learn about philosophy for a very long time. This course allowed me to get a nice overview. Can't wait to take other courses!

By Tracy T

May 14, 2016

An excellent course introducing Platonic philosophy along with the ideas of his predecessors, such as Socrates. Well-organized and well presented.

By Carlos B

Feb 10, 2018

A unique and wonderful opportunity to learn about the basis of philosophical inquiry. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and talent teacher Susan.

By Roberto

Jun 29, 2020

Very interesting, useful and didactic. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn how to make better decisions in life or business.

By Ruben N S

Mar 14, 2016

I didn't have philosophy at school, this was my first serious contact with it, and I was amazed! Loved it from the first to the last lesson

By Germán K

May 17, 2019

Una muy buena experiencia para ordenar los conocimientos y profundizar las temáticas con la orientación de la profesora Susan Sauvé Meyer.

By Aimi I

May 9, 2016

very useful and helpful course. I know more about philosophy since taking this course, which is the objective. therefore it is successful.

By Eduardo O B

Jul 13, 2020

It has been a great experience, a first-rate teacher who helped me to think, to force myself to question ideas in a methodical way.

By Bruno I

May 3, 2020

I loved it! Great lectures and readings! I learned a lot about the pre socratics. Also, this course changed my vision about Plato.

By Matija K

Feb 15, 2017

Superb! Simple yet not simplistic. Nicely and clearly presented, with all the most important ideas covered. Perfect introduction.

By Octavio P

May 4, 2020

Nice course, very pedagogical. Susan really masters the subjects and makes the lessons much easier than one would have thought.

By Susan S

Mar 9, 2020

At first I did not really want to learn about the Pre-Socratics, but I was really impressed by how the lectures hung together.

By Laura V

Sep 1, 2020

The teacher's is very clear when explaining, I wold have love to have her as my teacher in highschool!. Love all the subjects

By Bruce F

Aug 10, 2020

Not only was the content - video and writing - compelling, I feel vey lucky to have had Susan Sauve Meyer as out instructor.

By Irakli P

Oct 31, 2016

Informative and well-presented. Even after having prior knowledge of the topic I found the lectures interesting to follow.

By John D

Mar 11, 2016

The best Coursera course I've taken thus far. Dr. Meyer is an excellent lecturer and the reading selections are excellent.

By Robert C C

Apr 1, 2019

Though I don't like doing peer-reviews or peer-reviewed assignments, overall this was an interesting course. Thank you.

By David O

Mar 16, 2016

Very good and well presented course. Interesting concepts and materials. I thoroughly enjoyed the learning experience.