Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

VS

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

SM
Jun 11, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

276 - 300 of 552 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Raymond c

Jan 15, 2018

Well worth it, and the perfect mix of a refresher for forgotten topics as well as a great intro all new techniques and styles.

By Donna C

Jul 15, 2017

Excellent course, especially for those in the beginning stages of their poetry writing. Engaging lectures and fun activities.

By Jamz G

Nov 10, 2016

Wonderful course which introduces the student to some of the fundametals of poetry writing beyond simply coming up with rhyme!

By Matthias D

Oct 9, 2019

I enjoyed this course

And what a great course it was

Didnt expect such

fun and love when I signed up

No remorse, so do not pause

By B E

Nov 16, 2020

The professor is excellent.

The subject is riveting.

It is a class I will never forget.

On my heels I am pivoting.

Burmashave.

By Luisa

Sep 3, 2017

I highly recommend this course. The lectures are fun and easy to understand! I wish I could take more courses like this one!

By BISIRIYU O T

Aug 3, 2020

i appreciate my wonderful lecturer you made the lectures very interesting. your actions and hidding for camera is wonderful

By Thendral P

Oct 28, 2016

Doug is so entertaining and a great teacher! The exercises are helpful and the clips are short and easy to watch. Loved it.

By Yvette L

Jun 11, 2016

This was a great course! Very informative and the video lectures were of great interest. I definitely recommend this class.

By Jane C O

Aug 24, 2020

I loved this course. I learned important things about poetry. It helped me write better poems. The workshop was educating.

By Helen C B

Jul 20, 2020

I have found the course very helpful I have enjoyed practising the skills demonstrated and giving and receiving feedback.

By Victoria K

Oct 7, 2020

The instructor is amazing and I truly loved discovering a lot of great poets and poems both in videos and in workshops.

By Santiago C L

Jan 20, 2018

Good course for a begining. In some ways is an option to improve, in other is good way to return to the own imgination

By Suzy W

Feb 9, 2018

This course fit in perfectly in my busy life. I learned something new (or re-remembered it) each week in this course!

By Renee A

Oct 25, 2017

I loved how the instructor taught the course. I would take every writing course he might decide to offer on Coursera.

By Mary C

May 14, 2020

So enjoyed your course

Your sense of humor opened

My mind to create

Imagery, allowing me

An escape from this weird world.

By WU S

Mar 12, 2020

Playing with words is always my great pleasure especially with other echoing minds. This is a great course! What fun!

By Gracie A

Apr 16, 2018

I loved this course! It was amazing and entertaining. Also, this course helped spark inspiration through the prompts

By Savarni P

May 8, 2016

This course has helped me out a lot and turned my vague knowledge on Poetry to a concrete one. I personally love it!

By James M

May 8, 2021

This course covers a lot of ground in a very compact way. Like good poetry this course is tight an devoid of fluff.

Aug 25, 2018

Interesting, useful and fun course with a unique (actually, unforgettable) instructor presentation style. Thanks :)

By Saul G

Mar 7, 2019

Instructor, Mr.KEARNEY makeS of poetry something so lit. It has awaked the interest for understanding it better.

By Carla G

Sep 25, 2016

This course gave me a better understanding of poetry, the art form. The class is well-structured and well-paced.

By Sharon E

Oct 7, 2020

Educational, inspiring, entertaining - a wonderful, unique all-round experience - I learned so much.

Thank you!

By Reuben J

Dec 8, 2017

Extremely useful and well explained for anybody from someone who has never seen the topics to English graduates