Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

VS

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

SM
Jun 11, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

326 - 350 of 552 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Alan B

Oct 12, 2015

Great course that is well paced and engagingly taught by someone who loves poetry. Take this class!

By Pooja R

Nov 4, 2019

Doug is so good with poetry and makes each poem come alive, This is such an enriching experience.

By Rula H

Sep 29, 2015

A GREAT COURSE!

Very useful. The presener has absolutely a way with his way of teaching.

Thank you!!

By Frances S

Jun 16, 2021

E​xcellent! Highly engaging instructor -- the way the material was imparted was quite inspiring.

By Sarah N &

Jun 26, 2018

As a teen writer, I've always had difficulty finding a free but substantial poetry class online.

By 戴美涛

Oct 4, 2015

the teacher used a fun way to share the knowledge of poetry. I like the course very much ,thank!

By Alyssa T

Amazing! Totally changed my style and made it more readable, added new styles to my repertoire.

By R. T H

May 14, 2016

The videos are well done, and the instructor makes them enjoyable while also being informative.

By Maya

Dec 14, 2015

A very engaging instructor! Loving every video, learning new poems, and improving my own style.

By L F

Aug 15, 2020

fabulous course - charming instructor. I learned so much and had a great deal of fun doing it.

By Abigail S

Jun 22, 2016

Loved this! Great for beginnner poets. The professor's energy really made this course for me.

By Adrienne P

Apr 12, 2021

This is a good introductory poetry writing course. Clear, concise and well-designed overall.

By Jessica R

Jun 1, 2020

Very good! It helped me so much and most important, it motivated me to keep writing poetry.

By Kutsal K B

Nov 7, 2018

Exremely inspiring, informative and encouraging. Pace is just right too. Thank you so much.

By Hannah D

Apr 5, 2021

This one was an excellent course. The Professor was very lively and entertaining as well.

By SoLynnish

Feb 23, 2019

Wonderful workshop. Very well presented and jump charged my writing. Thank you Cal Arts.

By Omar A

Feb 1, 2016

An amazing course. The way of teaching is wonderful. Enjoying each moment of this course.

By Luis G A

Jul 21, 2021

I love how it honed my skills through lectures and peer reviewed assignments. Thank you!

By fenanda a

Jun 30, 2021

The way Prof. Doug teach was so fun. The module are concise, it made me me learn faster.

By Diana G

Feb 10, 2021

Great course, Amazing assessors, lovely subjects. If you are into Poetry this is a must!

By Birgit P

Jun 5, 2020

Loved Douglas Kearney's presentation! A lot of info packed into easily digestible bites.

By Earnest O

Feb 17, 2020

This is a great course. I was able to learn a lot from the tutor and also from my peers.

By Dave J

Feb 10, 2018

Good exercises, fun presentation. Peer feedback was somewhat helpful though not amazing.

By Pat G

Oct 21, 2020

A great start to learning to write poetry, with peer reviews to help you along the way.

By Chrissy M

Jun 20, 2020

Excellent course! I enjoyed the diverse collection of poetry and the fantastic videos.