Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

VS

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

SM
Jun 11, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

351 - 375 of 553 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Chrissy M

Jun 20, 2020

Excellent course! I enjoyed the diverse collection of poetry and the fantastic videos.

By Shobha N P

Jan 3, 2021

Instructor was engaging and the course was designed for all to participate and learn

By Yolanda C

Oct 11, 2020

Thank you for the opportunity to learn from a wonderful poet like Douglas Kearney.

By scott s

Sep 20, 2016

Great videos, pithy and educational. Ability to fully participate without paying!

By George J

Feb 22, 2017

Interested in poetry. This will fall in love with the art of writing poetry! 100%

By Kok L Y

Feb 15, 2021

Enjoyed this course thoroughly. Liked the presentation style of the instructor.

By Carl P

May 10, 2016

I didn't know how to write good poems. This course has taught me how. Thank you.

By Cecile B

Jan 10, 2018

Best free online course I've ever followed. Actually wrote some good new stuff!

By Atena

Jul 1, 2019

Great tutors and folks in the course. I improved my skills in poetry writing.

By Carreen P

Jan 10, 2018

The course was very interestingly taught and extremely informative and useful

By Dolores

Jun 14, 2016

I enjoy the course it is a self paced and with no consequence if no sign-ins.

By Alexandria S

Oct 20, 2015

I thought it was excellent, as have been all the CalArts classes I've taken.

By Michelle S

Nov 18, 2016

Loved the knoedge and passion if the lectuerer and the student interaction.

By Shaurya S

Jul 9, 2021

​Excellent mentor. Style of teaching unique. Content of course is great.

By Ebba J

Feb 13, 2017

A very enjoyable course - poem writing and revision techniques included.

By Sarmistha R

Mar 29, 2016

Superb course! Douglas Kearney is the coolest of them all instructors :)

By Rachel F

Dec 15, 2017

the instructor is great! knowledgable, to the point, and entertaining!

By Nupur M

Sep 29, 2015

Good delivery and enough technicals to keep interested poets learning!

By María I V

Mar 6, 2021

Really really good for begginers interested in learning about poetry.

By Reeba P

Sep 19, 2020

It's a course where you can enhance your poetry skills more. Enjoy :)

By Karen S

Feb 18, 2020

Fun and outstanding instructor!

Opened up a new world of poetry to me.

By Jason M B P

May 31, 2019

Excellent course and excellent instructor. Amazing community as well.

By Arnis S

Feb 10, 2018

This course is essential for any poets! and Doug is a superb teacher!

By Madeline H

A super engaging course. The professor made it current and exciting.

By Robert B

Apr 14, 2016

The instructor engages the audience very well by his sense of humor.