Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

SM

Jun 12, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

VS

Jun 23, 2020

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

151 - 175 of 436 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Jayashri R S

Mar 15, 2019

Thank you for introducing me to poetry that I was never aware of before.I thank the mentor and my peers for their constant virtual support.Looking forward to learn more

By Jennifer G

Jun 20, 2020

This poetry workshop really has helped me expanded my poetry skills! Definitely would recommend this course if you’re a beginner or interested more in learning Poetry!

By Cynthia C

May 07, 2016

Thus far, this has been the most enjoyable course that I've taken in Coursera. Thanks, Mr. Kearney and CalArts. I hope you can make Sharpened Visions Parts 2 and 3 :)

By Rashi R S

Jun 10, 2020

In this course, I learnt a lot about poetry and I got to work with many others who were just as keen about it. Moreover, Professor Doug is the coolest professor ever!

By LeAnn S

May 07, 2020

I was very disappointed to receive an 87.5 on my revised last poem. It was partially because I a native English speaker did not understand my images or colloquiums.🙁

By Julie B

Nov 30, 2016

I love poetry but I have to admit that this wasn't my cup of tea so to speak. This was a different kind of poetry and the instructor was kind of odd...in a good way.

By roz h

Jul 05, 2017

I found this course fun, practical and very, very useful. The peer process was excellent and Douglas was thoroughly entertaining and engaging. Highly recommended.

By Leeland J

Oct 08, 2019

The instructor in very engaging. I am learning poetry to have a stronger understanding of voice and style, and I believe I will get infinity more from this course.

By Zubair F A

Jan 01, 2019

This was a brilliant course. I audited the course with interest, and completed it. It acquainted me with essentials of writing and understanding poetry. Brilliant!

By Arielle M

Such an enjoyable course! Doug is a very enthusiastic professor, and there wasn't a single module or exercise that felt unnecessary or redundant. I learned a lot!

By Jenny R A

Aug 23, 2015

I am loving this course. It opens new stanzas in my psyche! Opens me up to the rhythms of poetry all around. What a great fun and enlightening experience. Thanks!

By Shane A

Mar 20, 2019

Great skill-sharpener for practicing poets and literature teachers. Doug is a very engaging teacher. His selection of poems is thought-provoking and informative.

By Catherine D

Jul 05, 2017

I've really enjoyed exploring poetry during this course! Ilso feel more confident about the basic terminology of poetry and how to read poems better! Thank you!

By Warren D L

Nov 08, 2019

This course did a wonderful job of introducing me to the basics of poetry. I feel that I have a much better understanding as to how a poem should be structured

By Don P

Sep 13, 2015

Next best thing to a face-to-face seminar: write a new poem to a prompt from Kearns, listen to your classmates' reviews of your poem; revise, revise, revise.

By Herman A

I really enjoyed this course. The instructor is engaging and makes learning poetry, something which I used to find foreign and daunting, fun and accessible.

By Srushty S

This course had opened many ways for me to look at poems and writings more profoundly. Thank you so much sir and the team from enhancing and helping us. ❤

By Linda T

Jul 28, 2020

I took this course to help me do better at writing stories and crafting language. I feel that the lessons and exercises in this course really helped me.

By Muhammad K

Jul 23, 2020

I really enjoyed the course it was a great experience with poetry. I already used to write poems but this course gave me a better sense about the poetry.

By Balaji V

Apr 18, 2019

Such an eye opener course.

Beautifully presented.

The whole course was a poetry by itself :)

Thank you Doug - California Institute of the Arts - Coursera

By Chamila J Z

Feb 18, 2018

This is a great and useful course to learn about poetry. Professor Dough taught very precisely and clearly. Enjoyed it and learned many things from it.

By Ishan S

Aug 18, 2017

Well the method of teaching is best in any of the moocs ever. He is a ventriloquist and when you listen to him its not like studying but entertainment.

By Ekta T

Jun 21, 2020

The best poetry course I could have asked for, clear and crisp lessons. You can apply what you have learnt. And amazing community and teacher Douglas

By Brittany E

Excellent class! It's helping me to become a better writer! The professor was very energetic and enthusiastic about the material. I truly enjoyed it!

By Pam O

Mar 14, 2018

Fantastic! I am so grateful that I received the fundamentals of creating poetry from this class! The instructor was very knowledgeable and funny...