Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

SM

Jun 12, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

VS

Jun 23, 2020

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

251 - 275 of 436 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Pooja R

Nov 04, 2019

Doug is so good with poetry and makes each poem come alive, This is such an enriching experience.

By Rula H

Sep 29, 2015

A GREAT COURSE!

Very useful. The presener has absolutely a way with his way of teaching.

Thank you!!

By Sarah N &

Jun 26, 2018

As a teen writer, I've always had difficulty finding a free but substantial poetry class online.

By 戴美涛

Oct 04, 2015

the teacher used a fun way to share the knowledge of poetry. I like the course very much ,thank!

By Alyssa T

Amazing! Totally changed my style and made it more readable, added new styles to my repertoire.

By Todd H

May 14, 2016

The videos are well done, and the instructor makes them enjoyable while also being informative.

By maya j

Dec 14, 2015

A very engaging instructor! Loving every video, learning new poems, and improving my own style.

By L F

Aug 16, 2020

fabulous course - charming instructor. I learned so much and had a great deal of fun doing it.

By Abigail S

Jun 22, 2016

Loved this! Great for beginnner poets. The professor's energy really made this course for me.

By Jessica R

Jun 01, 2020

Very good! It helped me so much and most important, it motivated me to keep writing poetry.

By Kutsal K B

Nov 07, 2018

Exremely inspiring, informative and encouraging. Pace is just right too. Thank you so much.

By Lynn R

Feb 23, 2019

Wonderful workshop. Very well presented and jump charged my writing. Thank you Cal Arts.

By Omar A

Feb 01, 2016

An amazing course. The way of teaching is wonderful. Enjoying each moment of this course.

By Birgit P

Jun 05, 2020

Loved Douglas Kearney's presentation! A lot of info packed into easily digestible bites.

By Earnest O

Feb 17, 2020

This is a great course. I was able to learn a lot from the tutor and also from my peers.

By Dave J

Feb 10, 2018

Good exercises, fun presentation. Peer feedback was somewhat helpful though not amazing.

By christina m

Jun 20, 2020

Excellent course! I enjoyed the diverse collection of poetry and the fantastic videos.

By scott s

Sep 20, 2016

Great videos, pithy and educational. Ability to fully participate without paying!

By George J

Feb 22, 2017

Interested in poetry. This will fall in love with the art of writing poetry! 100%

By Carl P

May 11, 2016

I didn't know how to write good poems. This course has taught me how. Thank you.

By Cecile B

Jan 10, 2018

Best free online course I've ever followed. Actually wrote some good new stuff!

By Atena

Jul 01, 2019

Great tutors and folks in the course. I improved my skills in poetry writing.

By Carreen P

Jan 10, 2018

The course was very interestingly taught and extremely informative and useful

By Dolores

Jun 14, 2016

I enjoy the course it is a self paced and with no consequence if no sign-ins.

By Alexandria S

Oct 20, 2015

I thought it was excellent, as have been all the CalArts classes I've taken.