Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

AR

Nov 02, 2015

I have learned so much and I love D's energy and the avid participation of the other students. Will definitely pass on what I've learned. Can't wait for more courses like this in the future! :)

JK

Aug 22, 2016

Wonderful, learning about writing poetry here is IT! I will always use this to go forward and once in a while come back to freshen up. Thank you, there's nothing else out there like this class!

276 - 300 of 304 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Rohini M

Jan 16, 2019

I Just loved this course. I learnt a lot of things about poetry. Soon i wish i would publish a book on poetry by writing and incorporating the lessons learnt in the class.

By alex d

Jan 29, 2020

Excellent course for poets of all levels! A great refresher course if you're looking to learn more about the beauty of poetry or if you're simply looking for inspiration!

By Benedick G

Jul 07, 2016

Very fun instructor.

The peer review as a workshop is perfect.

I just wish that there are more poems to study and that it's longer or it has a continuation.

By Adrienne P

Mar 15, 2019

This was an excellent workshop to help me brush up on poetic forms. Actually having to write, and revise was more useful than simply studying.

By Eyal G

Aug 19, 2015

Great teacher and great content BUT I just wish that it would have been more abundant with information. it seemed for times maybe too short.

By Vernon G

Sep 18, 2015

Early days yet but I've seen enough to realise it is interesting, intense, funny, persuasive, stimulating and creative. Thank you Douglas.

By Guillemette A

Sep 14, 2015

Very nice course, with interesting material, taught in a witty and engaging manner, and pretty good prompts. I had a very nice experience!

By Katya P

Oct 12, 2015

Loved the short but sharp classes! Thank you! Would love to see more peer reviews (didn't get any on my poems yet).

Best of luck!

Katya

By Kajol B

Oct 18, 2015

Peer reviews can be a gamble. But the professor is excellent. Helpful to get started with poetry or get over writer's block.

By Aastha m

Jul 11, 2016

i find this course highly helpful to learn new aspects of poetry, embrace new thoughts and new ideas to write upon.

By Eric N

Dec 23, 2019

Some good ideas to progress your poems. Could be more interaction between participants.

By trish d

Sep 02, 2015

Gently entertaining introduction to writing poetry with some good examples and advice.

By Shwetha

Jan 22, 2019

Great course! Recommend everyone who wants to write poetry to take this up!

By Trish S

Oct 17, 2015

Very interesting and thought provoking. I found the instructor amusing.

By Susan W

Jun 06, 2016

I enjoyed the ideas, but the peer feedback was less than helpful.

By Niharika B

Oct 08, 2015

I am finding it really interesting and helpful. :)

By Sumaiya A

Nov 19, 2015

i

By Scott D

Nov 22, 2016

Doug's lectures were great! He's entertaining and he gets the concepts across very clearly. I struggled with the course itself, however. The participation rate was low and the iOS app was so buggy I deleted it. The web interface was better but still difficult to work with.

The iOS app would forget I was in the course and lose my assignments. It also wouldn't let me open the discussion forums. With the technical problems and low participation I can only give the course 3/5.

By Victoria B

Jul 06, 2019

I think this course is good if you're just starting out and want to know the basics. But it's not a great course for more advanced students. The peer graded assignments are a gamble because some people fail to understand what the assignment actually is before they try to grade your assignment. Also, I don't like how certain sections are heavily focused on rhythm and rhyme. This course isn't really geared toward free verse poets.

By Elizabeth D

Aug 01, 2016

The annotations of the different poems were great and taught me a lot about different poetic elements, but the lectures were unbearably corny with all of the different sound effects and bits. I found myself reading the transcripts because I could not watch the videos without feeling like I was being talked down to or that the instructor didn't take the course seriously.

By Samantha A

Sep 09, 2015

Not as much creative flexibility as I thought there would be. Writing to prompts left very little room to create poetry that felt like my own. Good short course (knocked it out in a couple of days) for revising/learning techniques.

By Hari K D V

Oct 28, 2017

there's got to be more poems, more reviews. 1 poem to be reviewed makes the brilliant course flippant

By Liz A

May 21, 2018

A stimulating course. Great online interaction with tutors. Some great links.