Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

JK

Aug 22, 2016

Wonderful, learning about writing poetry here is IT! I will always use this to go forward and once in a while come back to freshen up. Thank you, there's nothing else out there like this class!

AR

Nov 02, 2015

I have learned so much and I love D's energy and the avid participation of the other students. Will definitely pass on what I've learned. Can't wait for more courses like this in the future! :)

76 - 100 of 302 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Silvana v

Jan 12, 2018

IT was a great experience!!! great teacher! I was very happy about this course. I learned a lot. everything was new for me. My native language is spanish. and I was able to understand clearly the exercises.

By Hilary T

Aug 26, 2016

I enjoyed this course so much i wish it didn't have to end.

The peer review experience in this course is completely fun and enriching.

Even if you think you'd be terrible at writing poetry, just give it a go!

By Richard C

Aug 03, 2016

Excellent course. The performance of the presenter may seem over the top at first but they actually enhance the impact of the lesson later on. The enthusiasm is genuine and not faked and I enjoyed his te

By Sharon L

Jun 13, 2016

I enjoyed the course thoroughly. Although the basics were a review for me, the section on revision (vs editing) was extremely helpful. I also appreciated how enthusiastic and engaging the instructor was.

By jane r k

Aug 22, 2016

By Matteo T

Nov 04, 2016

I'd like to thank M. Douglas Kearney, Calarts and Coursera for this course. I learned a lot about poetry with the help of M. Kearney whose explantions were really clear and entertaining!

By Swati B

Jan 09, 2020

Excellent course !! Previously I had never read or appreciated poetry much. This course has been an eye opener. The course is very well structure! And I learnt a lot from my peers too!

By Steven B

Oct 08, 2015

I enjoyed the class. The small corny bits in the videos made me feel at home, while the informative parts were very easy for me to understand. I'll likely revisit the class again later.

By Melle S

Nov 02, 2019

I loved this course. It has expanded my vision for my own writing. I found it helpful to receive feedback from my peers. I now can go back to previous works and revise with confidence.

By Amanda n

Feb 24, 2018

wonderful! I suggest to anyone who wants to learn more about poetry and even writing in general. Fun, doable, and informative! The homework prompts were well thought out and fun to do.

By Marilyn A

Apr 16, 2018

This was a brilliant course. Loved having to write poems for it. Loved the guy taking it. Just had trouble getting in to put assignments in and talk to people. Otherwise I loved it.

By Muhsina K I

Mar 19, 2020

Sharpened visions was a wonderful course. Thanks to the mentors who worked behind it. thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us. a must do course who wants to be a poet.

By Cristofer C L

Aug 09, 2016

Douglas Kearney is the best teacher I ever had. He really knows his stuff. His video lectures are so much fun to watch that I find myself wishing that his course would last forever.

By Justyna A

May 11, 2017

I wish all of my professors passed on knowledge like you did!!! It was theoretical and it was fun, it was practical and stimulating! I definitely wanna keep on writing, so thanks!

By Ummu S B E

Feb 01, 2019

Amazing course, very well structured. Helped develop my poetic voice and provided technical knowledge as well. Experimented in poetic forms I'd never heard of. Thank you so much.

By Zoe C

Oct 28, 2016

Fun and concise bite sized lectures. Challenging yet manageable tasks to complete. If you want to begin to explore the basics of poetry in a fun way, this is the course for you!

By lisa r

Jun 10, 2016

I loved every part of this course. The tutorials were brilliant, the assignments were fun but the most important thing is that the course made me want to write more poetry.

By Michelle C C

Jan 04, 2019

This course has so much substance in it, very engaging and lively. I loved the way Doug teaches and passes across lessons! Perhaps I should come take a course at CALARTS.

By Karen J

Jan 13, 2017

A very easy yet enlightening course.. Doug is a great professor..funny too! Assignments were very easy and fun to do.. got a lot to learn in a short time... Great course!

By Dan B

Nov 17, 2015

This was an excellent course. The material was relevant, the assignments were meaningful, and the instructor was effective and motivating. I highly recommend this course.

By Jesus J L

Dec 16, 2016

This course was very helpful to me in understanding poetry a little better. The professor was very engaging and I hope he will teach another poetry course in the future.

By Jayashri R S

Mar 15, 2019

Thank you for introducing me to poetry that I was never aware of before.I thank the mentor and my peers for their constant virtual support.Looking forward to learn more

By Cynthia C

May 07, 2016

Thus far, this has been the most enjoyable course that I've taken in Coursera. Thanks, Mr. Kearney and CalArts. I hope you can make Sharpened Visions Parts 2 and 3 :)

By Julie B

Nov 30, 2016

I love poetry but I have to admit that this wasn't my cup of tea so to speak. This was a different kind of poetry and the instructor was kind of odd...in a good way.

By roz h

Jul 05, 2017

I found this course fun, practical and very, very useful. The peer process was excellent and Douglas was thoroughly entertaining and engaging. Highly recommended.