Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

JK

Aug 22, 2016

Wonderful, learning about writing poetry here is IT! I will always use this to go forward and once in a while come back to freshen up. Thank you, there's nothing else out there like this class!

AR

Nov 02, 2015

I have learned so much and I love D's energy and the avid participation of the other students. Will definitely pass on what I've learned. Can't wait for more courses like this in the future! :)

101 - 125 of 301 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Zubair F A

Jan 01, 2019

This was a brilliant course. I audited the course with interest, and completed it. It acquainted me with essentials of writing and understanding poetry. Brilliant!

By Jenny R A

Aug 23, 2015

I am loving this course. It opens new stanzas in my psyche! Opens me up to the rhythms of poetry all around. What a great fun and enlightening experience. Thanks!

By Shane A

Mar 20, 2019

Great skill-sharpener for practicing poets and literature teachers. Doug is a very engaging teacher. His selection of poems is thought-provoking and informative.

By Catherine D

Jul 05, 2017

I've really enjoyed exploring poetry during this course! Ilso feel more confident about the basic terminology of poetry and how to read poems better! Thank you!

By Warren D L

Nov 08, 2019

This course did a wonderful job of introducing me to the basics of poetry. I feel that I have a much better understanding as to how a poem should be structured

By Don P

Sep 13, 2015

Next best thing to a face-to-face seminar: write a new poem to a prompt from Kearns, listen to your classmates' reviews of your poem; revise, revise, revise.

By Balaji V

Apr 18, 2019

Such an eye opener course.

Beautifully presented.

The whole course was a poetry by itself :)

Thank you Doug - California Institute of the Arts - Coursera

By Chamila J Z

Feb 18, 2018

This is a great and useful course to learn about poetry. Professor Dough taught very precisely and clearly. Enjoyed it and learned many things from it.

By Ishan S

Aug 18, 2017

Well the method of teaching is best in any of the moocs ever. He is a ventriloquist and when you listen to him its not like studying but entertainment.

By Pam O

Mar 14, 2018

Fantastic! I am so grateful that I received the fundamentals of creating poetry from this class! The instructor was very knowledgeable and funny...

By Jesse W

Feb 28, 2016

This was a great course with some really fun, interesting, and useful strategies for both improving your own poetry, as well as appreciating others.

By Akshat J

Feb 10, 2016

Wow! This course just keeps blowing my mind away. There is so much to learn and so many opportunities to help you improve your writing. Thanks Doug!

By Joyce S

Mar 12, 2020

Excellent poetry examples and prompts-- and fun! I am amazed how such a large workshop can have a personal touch. Thank you for this helpful class!

By Aude L

Oct 18, 2019

Very well structured - engaging videos - good feedbacks to build on - everyone is really passionate about poetry in this course, it is contagious!!

By Mariah E W

Sep 12, 2015

This course was a lot of fun. Great for beginners, yet fun and interesting and a way to kickstart people who may not have written poetry in awhile.

By Elizabeth S

Feb 12, 2020

I found the week on revision especially useful. I've saved the prompts on rhyme and rhythm that I didn't do because they look like good exercises.

By Shani C

Apr 15, 2017

I originally took this course at Coppin State University in 2001. I missed a week and decided to withdraw. Glad I decided to retake this course.

By Allysson F

Jan 06, 2017

The instructor is engaging and obviously loves poetry. This was such a fun class, I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn about poetry.

By billy r i

Aug 02, 2017

This review is about the course I'm taking. Poetry brings such great things to me. And best of all, poetry brings out the best in me as well.

By Janet W R

Jan 01, 2016

Everything I could have wanted and more, deep gratitude to Douglas Kearney and Coursera. I felt very welcome and nurtured. 5 stars at least

By Alexis T

Oct 12, 2015

A wonderful opportunity to learn about poetry and to participate in peer reviews of poetry. One of my favorite Coursera courses/workshops!

By Shirlena R

Sep 03, 2015

Doug is so entertaining. I would probably take any course if he taught it but he made this poetry workshop live for me. I'm better for it.

By Alicia C

Nov 19, 2018

Loved it! Great teaching, well paced, can't get enough of the transcripts with the videos. Very fun and really pushed me in my craft.

By Maria I M G

Nov 27, 2017

I have learned a lot from this course. Thank you . I wish we could have an advanced level of the workshop. I would definitely take it!

By Stephanie P

Jun 04, 2016

This course was excellent! It really helped me on my journey in poetry appreciation and writing. I would highly recommend it to anyone.