Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

AR

Nov 02, 2015

I have learned so much and I love D's energy and the avid participation of the other students. Will definitely pass on what I've learned. Can't wait for more courses like this in the future! :)

JK

Aug 22, 2016

Wonderful, learning about writing poetry here is IT! I will always use this to go forward and once in a while come back to freshen up. Thank you, there's nothing else out there like this class!

126 - 150 of 303 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Stephanie P

Jun 04, 2016

This course was excellent! It really helped me on my journey in poetry appreciation and writing. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

By Francoise B

Jul 31, 2017

Great course to learn about the basics but also to gain the confidence to write one's own poems. Great professor. I loved the humor.

By Chandrawulan H

May 08, 2017

I enjoyed the experience of learning the step by step of making poem with Coursera. I love the workshop and the prompts given too...

By Linda B

Nov 22, 2016

Engaging course with fun videos. I especially liked the writing prompts. The feedback from my peers on my poems was very helpful.

By Erica G

Sep 22, 2017

The professor of this course is so entertaining and able to express the content of the course in a concise and efficient manner.

By Costas P

Aug 25, 2015

loved the whole experience, there should be a part 2 and when I get paid (and get a good grade) I will purchase the certificate.

By Robert W M

Feb 04, 2018

Extremely well designed course. Would recommend to anyone interested in writing poetry; beginners and experienced poets alike.

By Raymond c

Jan 16, 2018

Well worth it, and the perfect mix of a refresher for forgotten topics as well as a great intro all new techniques and styles.

By Donna C

Jul 16, 2017

Excellent course, especially for those in the beginning stages of their poetry writing. Engaging lectures and fun activities.

By John M G

Nov 10, 2016

Wonderful course which introduces the student to some of the fundametals of poetry writing beyond simply coming up with rhyme!

By Matthias D

Oct 09, 2019

I enjoyed this course

And what a great course it was

Didnt expect such

fun and love when I signed up

No remorse, so do not pause

By Luisa

Sep 03, 2017

I highly recommend this course. The lectures are fun and easy to understand! I wish I could take more courses like this one!

By Thendral P

Oct 28, 2016

Doug is so entertaining and a great teacher! The exercises are helpful and the clips are short and easy to watch. Loved it.

By Yvette L

Jun 11, 2016

This was a great course! Very informative and the video lectures were of great interest. I definitely recommend this class.

By Santiago C L

Jan 20, 2018

Good course for a begining. In some ways is an option to improve, in other is good way to return to the own imgination

By Suzy W

Feb 09, 2018

This course fit in perfectly in my busy life. I learned something new (or re-remembered it) each week in this course!

By Renee A

Oct 25, 2017

I loved how the instructor taught the course. I would take every writing course he might decide to offer on Coursera.

By WU S

Mar 13, 2020

Playing with words is always my great pleasure especially with other echoing minds. This is a great course! What fun!

By Gracie A

Apr 16, 2018

I loved this course! It was amazing and entertaining. Also, this course helped spark inspiration through the prompts

By Savarni P

May 08, 2016

This course has helped me out a lot and turned my vague knowledge on Poetry to a concrete one. I personally love it!

Aug 25, 2018

Interesting, useful and fun course with a unique (actually, unforgettable) instructor presentation style. Thanks :)

By Saul G

Mar 07, 2019

Instructor, Mr.KEARNEY makeS of poetry something so lit. It has awaked the interest for understanding it better.

By Carla G

Sep 26, 2016

This course gave me a better understanding of poetry, the art form. The class is well-structured and well-paced.

By Reuben J

Dec 08, 2017

Extremely useful and well explained for anybody from someone who has never seen the topics to English graduates

By Vladislav L

Nov 24, 2016

An amazing, interesting and very thought-provoking course! Thank you, Douglas Kearney and all fellow students!