Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

SM
Jun 11, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

VS

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

151 - 175 of 523 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Hilary T

Aug 26, 2016

I enjoyed this course so much i wish it didn't have to end.

The peer review experience in this course is completely fun and enriching.

Even if you think you'd be terrible at writing poetry, just give it a go!

By Richard C

Aug 3, 2016

Excellent course. The performance of the presenter may seem over the top at first but they actually enhance the impact of the lesson later on. The enthusiasm is genuine and not faked and I enjoyed his te

By Sharon L

Jun 13, 2016

I enjoyed the course thoroughly. Although the basics were a review for me, the section on revision (vs editing) was extremely helpful. I also appreciated how enthusiastic and engaging the instructor was.

By Stacey E

Sep 3, 2020

The overall experience was great. I learned a lot from the videos which were engaging. The peer feedback process was rewarding. I enjoyed hearing perspectives on my poems from people all over the world.

By Lisa C

May 26, 2021

A brilliant course with an enthusiastic tutor! I found the peer rating system difficult to use, but it would be worth signing up just for the videos, so I haven't taken off any stars for that...

By Gwyneth T

Aug 11, 2020

You said: “ It isn’t easy.”

But it’s possible.

You gave us steps to climb on.

We stepped lively.

There were hands along the way.

To add encouragement.

We just now might be poets.

At least better ones!

By Katie M

Jun 24, 2020

Very useful for beginners as well as seasoned poets! Peer reviewers are thorough and usually very helpful. This course has definitely guided me in the direction of pursuing poetry academically.

By Aditya M

Greate course! Learnt a lot about Poetry Writing - the structure, the important type of words, personifications and type of poems etc. Will implement all of this in my writing moving forward.

By jane r k

Aug 22, 2016

Wonderful, learning about writing poetry here is IT! I will always use this to go forward and once in a while come back to freshen up. Thank you, there's nothing else out there like this class!

By Devon B

May 5, 2020

This course was so fun. I was beyond anxious to start as I am fairly new to poetry and poem writing, but this course forced me out of my shell in a truly good way. I tip my hat to the teacher!

By Jacque R

Oct 12, 2020

best class. the information was presented in a dynamic and clear way. Made learning enjoyable, and the difficult parts challenging. would love to take more classes from this instructor.

By Melanie B

Feb 26, 2021

Captivating, engaging and thoroughly enjoyable course! I've always adored poetry and this course enhanced my ability to express myself accurately (and in a variety of ways) ten thumbs up!

By King C M T D

Jul 20, 2020

I learned a lot from this workshop. It's very straightforward and easy to learn and I produced better poems that are far more better from the poems that I've written for the past 3 years.

By Matteo T

Nov 4, 2016

I'd like to thank M. Douglas Kearney, Calarts and Coursera for this course. I learned a lot about poetry with the help of M. Kearney whose explantions were really clear and entertaining!

By Swati B

Jan 8, 2020

Excellent course !! Previously I had never read or appreciated poetry much. This course has been an eye opener. The course is very well structure! And I learnt a lot from my peers too!

By Steven B

Oct 8, 2015

I enjoyed the class. The small corny bits in the videos made me feel at home, while the informative parts were very easy for me to understand. I'll likely revisit the class again later.

By Melle S

Nov 2, 2019

I loved this course. It has expanded my vision for my own writing. I found it helpful to receive feedback from my peers. I now can go back to previous works and revise with confidence.

By Amanda n

Feb 23, 2018

wonderful! I suggest to anyone who wants to learn more about poetry and even writing in general. Fun, doable, and informative! The homework prompts were well thought out and fun to do.

By Sreelakshmi C G

Mar 5, 2021

It was a great experience. With such a short time you covered most topics and more importantly stressed on the practical part, the writing! Thanks to you I brushed up my writings....

By Marilyn A

Apr 16, 2018

This was a brilliant course. Loved having to write poems for it. Loved the guy taking it. Just had trouble getting in to put assignments in and talk to people. Otherwise I loved it.

By Muhsina K I

Mar 19, 2020

Sharpened visions was a wonderful course. Thanks to the mentors who worked behind it. thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us. a must do course who wants to be a poet.

By Cristofer C L

Aug 9, 2016

Douglas Kearney is the best teacher I ever had. He really knows his stuff. His video lectures are so much fun to watch that I find myself wishing that his course would last forever.

By Justyna A

May 11, 2017

I wish all of my professors passed on knowledge like you did!!! It was theoretical and it was fun, it was practical and stimulating! I definitely wanna keep on writing, so thanks!

Jul 20, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I learned many poetry writing techniques and was adequately challenged with the assignments.

The professor was pretty funny and engaging as well.

By ummu s e

Feb 1, 2019

Amazing course, very well structured. Helped develop my poetic voice and provided technical knowledge as well. Experimented in poetic forms I'd never heard of. Thank you so much.