Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

VS

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

SM
Jun 11, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

201 - 225 of 465 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Apr 29, 2020

Wonderful course! Absolutely enjoyed it, and I learned so much about poetry, things I knew but did not know how to use it. Thank you so much!

By billy r i

Aug 1, 2017

This review is about the course I'm taking. Poetry brings such great things to me. And best of all, poetry brings out the best in me as well.

By janet w

Jan 1, 2016

Everything I could have wanted and more, deep gratitude to Douglas Kearney and Coursera. I felt very welcome and nurtured. 5 stars at least

By Lynn A

Oct 25, 2020

This was a great refresher course. I knew a lot of the information, but the challenges were a great opportunity to try new forms of poetry.

By Arnel A P

Jul 22, 2020

Very inspiring and also very education. Instructor is engaging and selection of sample poetry is diverse. I learned a lot from this course.

By Deanna B

Jun 1, 2020

Great workshop for anyone that is trying to get into the basic understanding of Poetry. Definitely improved my skills as a poet and writer.

By Alexis T

Oct 12, 2015

A wonderful opportunity to learn about poetry and to participate in peer reviews of poetry. One of my favorite Coursera courses/workshops!

By Shirlena R

Sep 3, 2015

Doug is so entertaining. I would probably take any course if he taught it but he made this poetry workshop live for me. I'm better for it.

By Tenzin C

Jun 3, 2020

I took this course with my two kids. We learned a lot about Poetry.

The instructor is fun and upbeat. He made learning very interesting.

By Alicia C

Nov 19, 2018

Loved it! Great teaching, well paced, can't get enough of the transcripts with the videos. Very fun and really pushed me in my craft.

By Maria I M G

Nov 27, 2017

I have learned a lot from this course. Thank you . I wish we could have an advanced level of the workshop. I would definitely take it!

By Stephanie P

Jun 4, 2016

This course was excellent! It really helped me on my journey in poetry appreciation and writing. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

By luciana a a

Oct 10, 2020

Inspiring and very handy tools are proposed to help us write and review our poetry. Loved the videos, our lecturer and the exercises.

By Francisco O

Jul 21, 2020

Excellent program. Wonderfully and entertainingly presented. Plenty of information with use of examples. Much use of peer assessment.

By Sahil J

Apr 19, 2020

Engaging, low-commitment, and genuinely rewarding. An amazing learning experience for neophytes, dabblers, and practiced poets alike.

By G M L

Nov 30, 2020

This course got me writing poems again after a long time. It helped me refine my writing and the prompts were very though-provoking.

By Francoise B

Jul 31, 2017

Great course to learn about the basics but also to gain the confidence to write one's own poems. Great professor. I loved the humor.

By Chandrawulan H

May 7, 2017

I enjoyed the experience of learning the step by step of making poem with Coursera. I love the workshop and the prompts given too...

By Meghan G

Aug 4, 2020

I enjoyed this course immensely. The videos were helpful and funny, the material was engaging, and the workshops kept me involved.

By Mandy

Apr 23, 2020

I have written poetry for years, but this course really sharpened my focus and made me rethink the ways in which I express myself

By Linda B

Nov 22, 2016

Engaging course with fun videos. I especially liked the writing prompts. The feedback from my peers on my poems was very helpful.

By Erica G

Sep 22, 2017

The professor of this course is so entertaining and able to express the content of the course in a concise and efficient manner.

By Costas P

Aug 25, 2015

loved the whole experience, there should be a part 2 and when I get paid (and get a good grade) I will purchase the certificate.

By Caryl J C L

Jul 21, 2020

I enjoyed this course! I learned a lot of new things on poetry that have helped me develop a more distinct style in my writing.