Back to Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health by The University of Sydney

In today’s world, mental illness and distress are common and these account for a significant burden of disability within our community. At the same time, there is a growing interest in understanding and enhancing positive mental health and wellbeing; particularly from developments in the fields of positive psychology and mental health promotion. Positive Psychiatry is a new term (Jeste et al 2016) that describes a dual approach to mental health, where we build strengths, supports and healthy lifestyles as well as treating illness and distress. In this course, we will explore different aspects of good mental health as well as provide an overview of the major kinds of mental disorders, their causes, treatments and how to seek help and support. The course will feature a large number of Australian experts in psychiatry, psychology and mental health research, and we will also hear from “lived experience experts”, people who have lived with mental illness, and share their personal stories of recovery. We take an evidence-based approach to a range of strategies that anyone can use to enhance their own mental health and that of others, from exercise and relaxation techniques through to the role of love, relationships and 'good' types of work. We cover topics from creativity and yoga through to psychiatric medications and psychotherapies....

JB

Feb 06, 2019

I learned what expected to learn from this course. I love the presenters and the manner of delivery. Resources abound too. I'm purchasing this course. I hope to meet you, guys in persons. Thank you.

SG

Jun 08, 2020

This course was designed with extremely outstanding qualities. The keen devotion of all the professors are highly appreciated. You have made it possible for me to move on in my professional career.

51 - 75 of 350 Reviews for Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health

By Sanjida S

Jun 13, 2020

Through this course I have learned to think positively and now I am in a much stable mental state. I feel confident again and I want others to feel the same. For that I will share all my learning with those around me. I can't thank all the instructions enough! Because of this course I've found hope that I will achieve better things in life.

By Nicola J

Jan 12, 2019

Very engaging and informative course in which I learnt various self-help techniques to contribute towards wellbeing and good mental health ie exercising, good nutrition etc. I also learnt much about the different types of mental health conditions and how they can be treated in a clinical setting. I would definitely recommend this course.

By Shelby W

Apr 10, 2020

This is a great course for anyone to take. Everyone will be in contact with a family member, coworker, or friend that have delt with or are dealing with mental health issues. This is a great course to gain some understanding of how to be a good support and how to lead them in the right direction to positive recovery. Awareness is Key!

By Sudhaharan T

It is absolutely an excellent course. the course content takes us through all the concept and treatments of positive mental health. The lectures of each module is taught with the experts of specific domain is an added positive side of it. i would strongly recommend this course to anyone who is keen to learn on positive metal health

By Katrina H

Dec 29, 2018

I loved how easy it was to find the information needed to complete the assesments. I enjoyed the fact that it was a self-directed course and that I could work at my own pace. I thoroughly enjoyed the course content and the way the video lectures were presented. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in this topic!

By Roxana T

The course provides a very accessible introduction to mental health, covering topics such as general well-being and mental disorders (symptoms and treatment). Overall, I think the course is reasonably well anchored in psychiatry research (the claims seem based on solid research) and the instructors were engaging.

By James W R

Mar 07, 2020

I started this course out of interest and as an adjunct to my work as a mediator. I quickly realised I was learning about matters society should know and understand. The course was easy to follow and to understand. I sincerely recommend this course to all seeking a better understanding of the society we live in.

By Alice A W

Jun 29, 2019

The information was condensed and very useful for anyone in a social line of work (like teaching). I feel better equipped to give students small steps to managing their stress, anxiety, or to learn when turn to mental health professionals. I also feel a sense of mental self awareness... which is encouraging.

By Jishana T

Jun 07, 2020

I am so glad to complete this course.I strongly thank my College teachers and Team Coursera to help me to complete this course.My college is EMEA COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCE at kerala,India.

So I completed this course successfully and thank you to the mentors for changing my daily routine in to best one!

By Bram W

An excellent class that would benefit anyone!

I learned how a wide variety of activities, social connections, and a positive attitude can help not only an average person, but also how those dealing with a number of different mental issues.

Thanks University of Sydney and Coursera for offering this class!

By Mary R S C S

Jul 05, 2020

I truly enjoyed learning from this course. It was both a refresher and a fresh new chapter of knowledge that I can use in my work and even in my personal life.I am very grateful to have the opportunity to learn from Australian experts who gave me a new and deeper perspective about Psychology.

By Shane M

As a mental Health Occupational Theapist i found this course fascinating to further my knowledge and education, along with consolidate and confirm my current practise. There was also an excellent array of external readings that helps broaden your knowledge of online resources. Thanks Uni Syd.

By MARÍA G F N

Jun 11, 2020

I am happy to have taken the course, I have learned and have fun doing it, at my own pace and the teachers are very clear in their explanations, it has been a pleasure to do it, I am already thinking of signing for the next course, thanks for sharing the knowledge and available to everyone.

By Emma L

May 04, 2020

Very helpful introduction, covering basic concept of attachment very interesting along with the other modules, a great stepping stone to other courses in the field of psychology, but I prefered to start with the positive before the focusing on 'dysfunction' and diagnosis. Highly recommend.

By Peter N

Mar 29, 2020

The course was well presented and I learned a lot about what I can do for my own health. I would recommend it for people of thinking of going into the care business but also for people with mental health problems for coping strategies and for just seeing the world in a different light

By Neharika R

Aug 26, 2019

A very engaging, easily understandable, and meaningful course which introduced me to the concepts of positive psychiatry. Just the right balance between both theoretical and practical information. Highly recommended for those who believe in the "prevention" approach in mental health.

By Yemie G

Feb 06, 2018

This is the first and the best course I took. The load is just right. It is very applicable. It has helped myself, my family and my circle of community. Hoping that more and more people will benefit from this course. Two thumbs up for Ms Sonia Kumar for organising this course.

By Maritza U N

Apr 27, 2020

I really love this course, it was a wonderful experience no just in the professional experience, besides in the personal level. It was an excellent tool to remember most important things that I learnt through the course of my bachelor degree in Social Psychology 10 years ago.

By Shaik S

Apr 15, 2020

Mandatory Course for Every one ..each one class relating our life in difficult situation how we over come . all the entire Module No boring .very interesting what they tell and applied who suffer this type of illness

My view this course is ..Who can grow Mentally they need

By Lisa K M

Feb 16, 2019

I think this course represents a magnificent opportunity to keep updated about psychiatric and psychology last researches and tendencies.

It`s structured and organized by weeks and assessments, so it`s easy to complete.

Definitely a great opportunity to keep learning!

By Claudia G

Apr 10, 2020

Great course. Very insightful and would be helpful to any person; in any profession and at any stage in their life. It helped me better understand myself and other people within my social and professional community. I'm very grateful I signed up for this course

By Angelo V V

Jun 02, 2020

I have no background at all when it comes to mental topics. This course enlightened me a loot about things i didn't know. I have a cousin who is mentally ill and now, I know better how to approach her because of Coursera. And for that, you have my thanks.

By Aissa S d M

Jul 05, 2020

Curso excelente! Sem dúvidas contribuiu muito para minha formação como estudante de medicina e interessada pela área da saúde mental. Obrigada por disponibilizarem conteúdos incríveis que permitem adotar uma nova perspetiva diante do sofrimento mental.

By Jacqueline M

Apr 27, 2020

I loved this course and I learned so much! This course helped me develop some better habits and I plan on incorpating much of what I have learned into my daily life. I love studying psychology and this course helped further my knowledge in this field.

By Alya H

Jun 05, 2018

I think this course is very helpful for people to learn more about mental illness and how to deal with them in positive ways. This course does not only elaborate the ways, but also explain the building blocks of positive psychiatry. Thank you :)