Back to Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health by The University of Sydney

In today’s world, mental illness and distress are common and these account for a significant burden of disability within our community. At the same time, there is a growing interest in understanding and enhancing positive mental health and wellbeing; particularly from developments in the fields of positive psychology and mental health promotion. Positive Psychiatry is a new term (Jeste et al 2016) that describes a dual approach to mental health, where we build strengths, supports and healthy lifestyles as well as treating illness and distress. In this course, we will explore different aspects of good mental health as well as provide an overview of the major kinds of mental disorders, their causes, treatments and how to seek help and support. The course will feature a large number of Australian experts in psychiatry, psychology and mental health research, and we will also hear from “lived experience experts”, people who have lived with mental illness, and share their personal stories of recovery. We take an evidence-based approach to a range of strategies that anyone can use to enhance their own mental health and that of others, from exercise and relaxation techniques through to the role of love, relationships and 'good' types of work. We cover topics from creativity and yoga through to psychiatric medications and psychotherapies....

PP
Jul 17, 2020

Excellent course specially in current scenario i.e. Covid 19 situation. This course helped me to understand not only my mental conditions but also my near and dear ones mental health and conditions.

CB
Feb 5, 2019

I learned what expected to learn from this course. I love the presenters and the manner of delivery. Resources abound too. I'm purchasing this course. I hope to meet you, guys in persons. Thank you.

826 - 850 of 853 Reviews for Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health

May 9, 2020

interesting

By Talasila A

Dec 18, 2020

good

By Bharat S

Sep 23, 2020

Good

By Wang J M

Sep 9, 2020

The course is great, lectures informative and readings interesting. Gained quite a bit of knowledge. However, the peer assignment grading system is atrocious. I have gotten 0s and 100s on the same assignment which moderates my grade to 50, and it is obvious the peer graders absolutely put in zero effort by just putting 0 down for everything (even word count?!) which can be extremely demoralising because I had put in a lot of effort for the assignments. If one is to give 0, I'd recommend to have to put reasons down for it and for the lecturer to actually review the 0 or it would be unfair. Or to change the system to having 3 graders and using the higher 2 of the 3 to prevent lazy graders from sabotaging their peers. Otherwise, good course content.

By Jacquelyn C M

Nov 5, 2020

Loved the courses and videos and readings, but the technology is severly flawed. Would not let me review other students after week one and then would not allow me to do the assignments in weeks 2-4. Also I completed the quizzes at end of week 5, but it kept saying I didn't. Very frustrating to do all the work and get zero credit for the course. I just want it noted that I completed the entire course, with the exception of what the course would no allow me to complete.

By Michael S

Apr 23, 2021

A good dip into the psychology and methodology within the framework of positive psychiatry. Some attention should be given to the quality of articles, and the functionality of some videos. overall a very rewarding journey with a lot of good takeaways and practical applications for everyday life as well as clinical support.

By Ana K F R

Jul 20, 2020

Hola, este curso es muy bueno para aprender los conceptos básicos sobre salud mental. Te explica muy breve, conciso y fácil de entender varios de los aspectos de este tema. En una formal muy general, si ya quisieras profundizar en alguno entonces tendrías que buscar otro curso más específico.

By Abhijeet S

Aug 23, 2020

Seems like people don't like giving good grades for the peer assignments on this course. Apart from that, the course seemed to lack professionalism and the different teaching assistants' constant flicker to and from the camera and the script was pretty distractive. Decent course otherwise.

By fife k

Mar 5, 2021

great content, accessible. big shame about having no access to the course creators, and leaving marking up to students to peer-review without anonymity, or any option in case of an unfair grading, is questionable.

By mingyue x

Aug 30, 2021

The course content is very organized. But the lecturers are looking at the subtitles when teaching, which is distracting sometimes -- it doesn't feel like having real lectures, but recorded videos really.

By Maria I B

Sep 14, 2020

Son excelentes los vídeos porque puedo entender pero los textos y cuestionario no lo entiendo porque no está en español y tampoco puedo traducir si hay forma de modificar por favor me ayudan

By JESSICA Y G Q

ES INTERESANTE EL CURSO, PERO LÁSTIMA QUE NO DAN AL MENOS UN CERTIFICADO DE PARTICIPACIÓN.

By Candice C

Jul 1, 2020

Great course, but lacks diversity.

By Ho M

Sep 22, 2021

Good

By Giuseppe P

Jan 14, 2021

By Donna B

Jul 2, 2021

I had issues with grading by peer review. I turned in assignments that met all the criteria. One reviewer would recognize the criteria were met and the other would not. There may be people taking this course that are fragile. I am concerned that peer review is a very bad idea for them. The instructors have no control over what is said in the comments section of the peer review. I strongly recommend that peer review be eliminated from this course.

By HELLY P 2

Oct 30, 2020

First of all, I would like to appreciate the efforts put in by University of Sydney for conducting this course. But I personally felt that it could have been better. It felt a bit monotonous. Creative ways of teaching could have been adopted. I hope this review helps in improving the course. Thank you.

By MANAN S

Jun 27, 2020

The course is quite basic and has a lot of peer review assignments. Even though i learnt quite a lot , still wouldn't recommend for someone who is doing a major in psychology

By Deivy E F

Jul 14, 2020

tiene partes que no puedo traducir al español, lo que dificulta que pueda continuar el curso. es una lastima pues lo poco que vi es muy interesante

By David K

Apr 23, 2020

lots of probs with online testing. Tried to drop course but no luck...

By Maxime F G

Aug 17, 2021

F​or some background, this is my first class taken on Coursera and I have a master's degree, so my expections might not be adequate. In general, this might be a good class for someone who has no experience in mental health or in academic circles.

(1) Most affirmations during lectures weren't based on scientific studies. If it were, then the references weren't provided. Affirmations like ''3% of people experience psychosis'' needs at least a reference to a meta-analysis.

(​2) The links provided in the lectures were websites. This works for high school, but not for a class given by a university. Also, some of them were outdated and didn't work.

(​3) The lectures tone were friendly instead of academic.

(​4) The exams question were confusing. In fact, they weren't really questions, but a sentence with a box. ''Essay refers to at least one lecture'' dosen't explicit what is expected from students to write in the box. Also, many questions were traps: they asked for at least one element, but you needed to write at least two to have all points.

By MARCELINA B

Aug 21, 2021

i have never ever received any certificate after completing this 'course'' CERTIFICATE was promised when I was enrolling - multiple emais WERE SENT WHERE I WAS ASKING FOR CERTIFICATE - NOBODY EVER REPLIED!!!!!!! COURSE WAS COMPLETED 100% BUT CERTIFICATE promise is a LIE. Im very very disappointed - its been more than 5 months since I completed course!