Back to Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science by University of Pennsylvania

Dr. Martin E.P. Seligman—renowned worldwide as the “father of Positive Psychology”—has led visionary leaps in the scientific research, empirical data and personal understandings of human flourishing. This course explores the past, present and future of positive psychology as a journey through the key scientific leaps led by Dr. Seligman and his colleagues at the University of Pennsylvania's Positive Psychology Center and Master of Applied Positive Psychology program. There are no prerequisites....

MP
Feb 27, 2020

Excellent and succint explanation of the history, objectives, trends and branches of Positive Psychology. And to learn with the man himself and other leading researchers is a one-of-a-kind experience.

MK

A perfect course for aspirant Positive Psychologist. This course change the way I perceive the challenges of life. Learning the Theory of PERMA is very fascinating and beneficial for happy well-being!

1401 - 1425 of 1,525 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science

By ekshaw

Aug 19, 2018

nice

By Eric C

Jan 13, 2018

good

By Laura-Diana C

Apr 20, 2021

Apr 11, 2017

F

By Karine C

Feb 15, 2021

Great course, useful and interactive enough, although there are a few points that could be improved:

I miss the personal feedback from lecturers on my assignments. Indeed, only one assignment was peer reviewed, and a peer, although nice and supportive, will not push you to expand your knowledge and improve on your thinking.

Also, it was not easy to find the peer reviews. It would be great if they arrived in your mailbox as soon as done... instead, I had to wait, and then find my way back to the assignment at the end of the course, and discover that, yes, I had been peer reviewed.

I am not sure whether any one has left any 'upvote' or 'comment' on the other submissions I have given via the discussion forums. It would be too time consuming to check them all.

Again, it would be nice to have one place were all your assignments and submissions and their feedback is gathered (rather than stroll through pages and pages of discussions). Or may be this exists but I do not know about it?

Another point: I do not know if the two peer reviewers were other students or staff members (I saw that there were moderators for the course). It would be nice to know.

Last point: in the tests, it would be nice to know if several answers are possible rather than just one, as I often got caught having only one good answer while there were 2 expected. I guess I just picked the best one and did not realise I could add more...

Thank you for reading! I am looking forward to the next class.

By CQ

Jun 19, 2020

This is a great overview of what we can look forward to delving more deeply in to once we get into the more specific classes. I did watched Tal's 1504 Harvard Course before taking this course and I wish that more time had been spent on love and relationships because I found that to be a high point of the lecture series. I really liked learning directly from the Master and hearing from the various experts in the field. Like a survey course, we had the opportunity to learn a lot at once and to see how big Positive Psychology is. I would have liked a stronger framework throughout the course. I think PERMA is the foundation of Positive Psychology and I would have liked to see it hit in every discussion of the ways that Positive Psychology applies to different disciplines. It was a huge treat to watch the scientists present what matters to them and to read their published works. This course is really digestible and, maybe that's why I initially gave it three stars, it left me wanting more. I feel like I only scratched the surface, which compels me to continue to the next course. I'm also really excited by how this course inspires me to want to make a difference in my field, to want to bring PP to education based on where I feel that it can make a difference. This is a great course!

By Manickam R

Aug 1, 2020

Respected everyone, I was immensely grateful to Coursera and Pennsylvania University for giving me the opportunity to do this course, Positive Psychology: Martin E.P. Seligman's Visionary Science.

I was totally wondering by holding the Valuable Certificate of Pennsylvania University (along with Coursera) how much it worth to me and to my future well-being and career achievements.

I deeply appreciate the author Dr. Martin Seligman for his work on Positive Psychology and it through education for the global well-being. Thankyou sir.

I would like to suggest everyone, of different fields and countries to do this course for their well-being and surroundings. I challenge and sure about that it will definitely bring an intense change in your life and living. Thanks again Pennsylvania University and Cousera, thankyou all.

By Shinq Y I T

Apr 28, 2020

Research-focused, lots of examples given of different studies that were conducted. Sometimes the video topics didn't connect well from one to another - it would jump into another topic and you could tell there was a large amount of material in between that was omitted, which disrupted the flow and made it hard to have a good grasp of the full picture. Would have liked to see some more practical applications in the closing remarks. The course just kind of ended, with no real takeaways given to the common person. It seems like it's all about researchers testing and finding insights in various branches rather than actually benefiting regular people. Otherwise, everything was interesting and well-presented. Engaging and thoughtful. Enjoyed it overall.

By Bhavya

Feb 2, 2019

I enjoyed the applications section (such as stats from researches and journalism bit).

I think the introductory theory could have contained more information, such as further understanding on each aspect of PERMA.

However the course made a compelling argument in favour of Positive Psych, inspired me for personal reflection, as well as to read more similar courses.

I'd like to hear more (especially from the conceiving propounder) about where this new branch puts the role and usefulness of the old way of practicing psychotherapy.

By Zhaomin H

Aug 13, 2017

Great introduction and overview of positive psychology with the founder and his team! No heavy textbooks or papers but short videos featuring the major studies with findings and real world application. I especially like the hands-on assignments. Didn't give five starts because a few of the links (I think two or three) were broken. Some of the interactive essay/short answer questions are the same as the assignment/quiz questions. I think this is unnecessary. Also a reference list for the studies mentioned would be great!

By Marija T

Nov 12, 2017

It's a great course that brings out many scientifically interesting and personally useful topics. Martin Seligman is a wonderful professor; I really enjoyed personal examples he shared and enthusiasm seen in him. Thank you so much!

What I would suggest to the course makers is to put practical exercises as the first video of each week, so students have the entire week to make the exercises. I would also like to see more peer-graded assignments - I enjoyed reading and learning from others!

All in all, a very good course!

By Manon M

Apr 1, 2020

Love the different perspectives. Looking forward to the other courses. But I wonder how I could help other people with positive psychology as a mental trainer/ coach. It's really hard when people are under a lot of pressure to teach them something new. I need some quick wins, to convince them to change some of their habbits otherwise I loose their faith and interest in the science I'd like to promote. I truly beleive we have to invest in mental health just as much as in fysical health, perhaps even more...

By Love L

Jun 21, 2017

Interesting course on a super hot subject with interesting lectures. I would give it five stars if it was more focused on methods that could be applied in professional situations and a little less focused on the history of the field of positive psychology. An idea for improvement is to provide more of the history in form of additional reading material and to focus the lectures more on the application of methods in various fields such as personal development, organizational development, journalism etc.

By Alexander T

Dec 23, 2017

This course started very well and I learned really a lot: optimism/pessimism, PERMA etc. But than it went so much into other theoretical fields which have nothing to do with us, e.g. religion or journalism. I understand, that these topics might be clarifies in the following courses of the specialization, but most of people don't want to go so much into the details.

Still, I learned really a lot about very new field for me and I don't regret starting this course at all.

By Igor J

May 27, 2017

First 2.5 weeks where much more interesting, orginised and direct than last 1.5 week.

However, the cousre did a very good introduction to the topic / problems and research related to the field.

Look forward to learn further and more

Martin Saligman - personal deep thank you for what you started doing.

Also, interested to learn more about Positive Education and possibly get involved. As one of the things I want to do in life is contribute into development of Education.

By Stephen S W

Apr 5, 2018

It is a good introductory course. I would have liked a bit more detail on research findings and more exercises to enhance well-being. The transcripts of the videos aren't good--lots of mistakes. It's like the sound was plugged into some transcription software and nobody QC'ed it. Also, some of the answers to questtions on the quizzes are debatable. The presenters are good and certainly experts in their field. This makes the poor quality elsewhere more frustrating.

By char s

Mar 2, 2019

The content is very good. It feels like I am taking a regular course online.

I only have a couple issues... when it is required to respond to a classmates work before you can complete the section, it doesn't let you. Many times there is no student to respond to which is the problem. And lastly, the phone app starts you over when you move out of it to stop for the day. I have have to go back to the beginning and scroll to find out where I left off.

By jonathan o

Dec 18, 2017

Some great material in here, including some very useful exercises (WWW and ACR, for instance). It would get the full five stars if there were more references to support some of the findings, and to allow for further independent study. The session on positive journalism would be better if it was made more relevant to the 99.9% of us who are not journalists, and if there was more of an evidence base for some of the ideas being promoted.

By Marc G

Aug 31, 2017

This course helps you envision a more upbeat future full of opportunities, thus shifting the typical focus from a distressful present and a traumatic past. It covers a myriad of different issues, and perhaps because of that specific topics are not explored in much depth, but the course is great to gain a general overview of the many different fields within positive psychology and to get a feel for the current state of the art.