Back to Introduction to Power Electronics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Power Electronics by University of Colorado Boulder

This course can also be taken for academic credit as ECEA 5700, part of CU Boulder’s Master of Science in Electrical Engineering degree. This course introduces the basic concepts of switched-mode converter circuits for controlling and converting electrical power with high efficiency. Principles of converter circuit analysis are introduced, and are developed for finding the steady state voltages, current, and efficiency of power converters. Assignments include simulation of a dc-dc converter, analysis of an inverting dc-dc converter, and modeling and efficiency analysis of an electric vehicle system and of a USB power regulator. After completing this course, you will: ● Understand what a switched-mode converter is and its basic operating principles ● Be able to solve for the steady-state voltages and currents of step-down, step-up, inverting, and other power converters ● Know how to derive an averaged equivalent circuit model and solve for the converter efficiency A basic understanding of electrical circuit analysis is an assumed prerequisite for this course....

SA
Jul 31, 2017

This course sets the groundwork for more advanced concepts in Power Electronics. The Professor was very explicit and the homework assignments were of a good strength to help ground the notions learnt.

PK
Jun 18, 2020

Very nice course. Even if you are already familiar with power electronics, it will help you to form a system of knowledge and utilize rational approaches for task solution of any level of complicity.

26 - 50 of 723 Reviews for Introduction to Power Electronics

By Byron A C V

Aug 20, 2020

Excelente curso, buen contenido, el desarrollo del instructor es muy didáctico y se fomenta el auto aprendizaje con las tareas propuestas

By Rafat S

May 12, 2019

the solution for numerical question were hard because of .1 % barrier and . the answer once entered correct the database should keep that result to reduce re entry of correct answers. add more exmple so that student can do more practice before attending assignment.

By Thierry G

Feb 4, 2018

Excellent introduction to the analysis of switched systems. The explanations and examples are very clearly explained.

The only drawback to this course is that it takes a lot of trying around to get used to enter the formulas into the system for the homework

By Szilard L

Dec 3, 2017

I haven taken power electronics in both undergrad and grad school, and did several online courses on EDx, and I am not impressed by this course. If I had to learn these first principles from this course, I would be suffering pretty bad. The lecturer is jumping back and forth between topics, not building the necessary mental structures. The lecturer lets power point do the teaching, then occasionally he tries to derive things in the corner, which is very hasty. He should just take the time and write out every equation so that students have a chance to follow and repeat real-time. (Nobody will interpret 4 long equations suddenly appearing in front of them + the important details easily slide away!) The length of the course is misleading, if you spend only a few hours with it, you can definitely pass, but you won't get the full picture, especially not enough if you ever want to work in this sector. I strongly advise to work out all the practice problems before the homework for practice.

By Taylor S

Sep 29, 2018

This course has some very good things to learn. It picks up pace very rapidly. My biggest complaint is that there is far, far too few examples and/or sample problems. There are none in the lecture, and only 2 solved sample problems per week. There is no point in giving 7 sample problems, then only giving the solution to 2 of them. The lectures are good and coherent, but I don't feel like they fully prepare you for the homework, particularly for Week 3. And the forums are not very helpful for diagnosing mistakes, in the rare event you get an answer in a timely enough manner to be helpful. All things considered, I learned quite a lot from the 3 weeks of this class and is still a bargain for the price.

Apr 3, 2021

Although this course was great overall, I think it needs to have more content to explain more converter topologies. The homework assignments were at times extremely difficult due to a lack of helpful examples in lectures.

I have taken this course in undergrad (RIT) and concepts were more thoroughly explained to me there than here. I hope I am not being too harsh, as I do think this is good for those that haven't been exposed to much of the power electronics field before. Maybe the next course in this specialization will change my opinion!

By Matthew J

Aug 14, 2020

Overall a good introduction course.

I think the requirement that you be 0.1% accurate in your answers is a bit ridiculous and it would probably be better to expand the accuracy slightly so that you do not have to make multiple submissions just to determine if 0.123 or 0.1234 is the correct answer. This is especially true given that actual implementation is going to be much more hands on once you actually start developing the circuit.

By Philipp M

Jun 8, 2017

I liked the course and the lectures. Real good examples and explanations!

But for the exams, I would like t have some more hints sometimes if one is on the wrong way.

By Thomas E M

Sep 18, 2016

There are serious issues with the quizzes. Other than grading correct/incorrect, there is no feedback afterwards.

By Farhan S

Mar 2, 2021

A good course but need some more advance software for the solving and practising of assignment and knowledge.

By Eric S

Aug 28, 2020

No TA/Professor help. Some of the HW questions were ambiguous. Posting on the forums didn't help at all, no one is there.

By Jorge V

Jun 26, 2021

There is little guidance to go by on this course, is it worth the time and effort? Not sure. A lot of theory with little application on real life problems. The concepts are important, the volt second, charge balance for example are fundamental, the examples given walk you through this. The teaching assistants are absent and also the Prof. There are no moderators on the Forum so you will not be able to ask anyone. The hw submission is inadequate, might as well make it multiple choice. You are on your own learning difficult content. This course can be improved with the presence of the moderators or TA's.

By Abheek A

Oct 9, 2020

Its Not an introduction , its from intermediate level

By Egbeola A

Apr 17, 2020

Very Difficult with very poor lecture videos.

By Augusto H E

Feb 14, 2020

Muy buena introducción a la electrónica de potencia!

El doctor Erickson hace posible con sus vídeos y eplicaciones que conceptos muy complejos sean asimilados sin grandes traumas. Sería un curso perfecto si se incluyeran más ejercicios resueltos para poder practicar bien antes de realizar los tests, cuyo nivel de dificultad puede resultar algo elevado para los principiantes en esta materia.

Animo a todo el mundo interesado en este campo de la electrónica a participar en este magnífico curso!!!

By Sebastian L

Sep 30, 2017

I am a professional hardware developer working outside of the field of power electronics, so for me this course is an attempt to gain knowledge in a new field.... succsessfully. The introduction ends with quite a hardcore homework that may break some nerves but going through this is definitely worth it. I recommend this course to anyone that has some experience with electronics and wants to push their knowledge boundaries towards the field of power electronics

By Dhaval P

Jul 1, 2018

I am very happy to write this review, not just because i have completed this introductory course in power electronics, but because I feel this first course has tempted me enough to go for the next course and also to dive deeper into the mathematical analysis of converters. I absolutely recommend this course as a "soft" start into the world of power electronics. Prof. Erikson , thank you very much. I shall be joining the next course in line to this one.

By Gianyacomo Z

Nov 12, 2020

The course developed by the teacher is of excellent quality. The knowledge was transmitted in different stages that helped to better understand the principles associated with the principles of power electronics.

As for the tasks assigned were rhetorical, which is very pleasant.

I would like to improve the support or help in line with the tasks or exercises proposed, through mentors or a forum where you can discuss the doubts that appear

By Mustafa U B

Feb 20, 2016

Great course and a great teacher. The assignments were great and really prompted you to learn. I liked how they weren't too easy and at the same time they weren't insanely difficult. Any effort that you put in learning the course was payed off. Hopefully the other courses in the specialization will be similar.

And of course, the content of the course was very interesting and informative. Looking forward to the future courses.

By Douglas M S

Dec 8, 2021

The Course Introduction to Power Electronics fulfills its promises, introduces the student to the concept of power electronics, covers all the necessary subjects of electrical, algebra and the sense of problem solving that the student must have to successfully complete the course, however it is valid say that it is a Masters level course and there must be some dedication on the part of the student to its completion.

By Dimitrios G

Jan 26, 2020

I am an electrical engineer and decided to take the course as a refresh. But what I found is that this course is more than a simple approach to power electronics. The explanations and the flow of the course are the most helpful. I wish I had a professor like Dr. Erickson at my university.

I like that homework is quite challenging to solve but always you have on guidance the theory from the previous courses.

By Murat O

Feb 17, 2016

Exceptionally useful and very well organized lectures and homework assignments. Even as an industry professional I felt challenged. I am taking away information and fundamental knowledge of DC-DC converters that I will be able to apply in future projects. The lectures are easy to follow and very thorough. I would highly recommend this class to anybody interested in learning more about DC-DC converters.

By SAN V

Apr 11, 2021

I really wanted to learn about the functionality of IGBT-based Voltage regulation (VVVF) used in Electric vehicles. This is the perfect course for me and my speed of learning(which is very slow). I am fortunate to learn this course conducted by one of the pioneers in this field in my comfort from my home. It is possible only because of Coursera. I wish I had found this platform long back. Thanks a ton.

By Arun N

Jun 12, 2020

The course was really informative. The instructor gave a lot of insights along with intuitive explanation for the circuits' working. The assignment problems were also challenging. The only drawback I felt was no official solution is provided for the assignment problems after we submit the assignments. The solutions for those problems will help in having a better grasp of the concepts.

By Alex N

Nov 22, 2017

The homework is the right level of complexity - that is ... I had to think a bit. That's what I'm looking for - not impossible but enough to engage the brain. Now that I've passed second homework assignment I'm going to re-listen to the lectures to see what I missed. My first pass through I don't think I got all the details needed. Thank you for putting this together !