Back to Introduction to Power Electronics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Power Electronics by University of Colorado Boulder

This course can also be taken for academic credit as ECEA 5700, part of CU Boulder’s Master of Science in Electrical Engineering degree. This course introduces the basic concepts of switched-mode converter circuits for controlling and converting electrical power with high efficiency. Principles of converter circuit analysis are introduced, and are developed for finding the steady state voltages, current, and efficiency of power converters. Assignments include simulation of a dc-dc converter, analysis of an inverting dc-dc converter, and modeling and efficiency analysis of an electric vehicle system and of a USB power regulator. After completing this course, you will: ● Understand what a switched-mode converter is and its basic operating principles ● Be able to solve for the steady-state voltages and currents of step-down, step-up, inverting, and other power converters ● Know how to derive an averaged equivalent circuit model and solve for the converter efficiency A basic understanding of electrical circuit analysis is an assumed prerequisite for this course....

SA
Jul 31, 2017

This course sets the groundwork for more advanced concepts in Power Electronics. The Professor was very explicit and the homework assignments were of a good strength to help ground the notions learnt.

SH
Sep 22, 2017

I am very please of with course but i also want the course of power electronics related to any field i mean in FACTS devices applications so we can learn more related to new emerging technologies .

501 - 525 of 601 Reviews for Introduction to Power Electronics

By Wesley L

Nov 17, 2019

Information taught in lectures was great. However, I feel the homework grading method could be improved. Since we get unlimited attempts, I wish our correct answers would be saved so we don't have to re-enter them during our second attempt. Maybe instead of having the submit button turn-in all answers, there can be a submit button for each individual question to lock in the answer.

By Alex V

Dec 16, 2019

I found the course to be very well presented and structured. Focused content on key principles and techniques, with good reinforcement homework problems. I especially appreciate the auto-grading with allowable retries - the most learning was from correcting my mistakes. I only wish solutions were available for all of the textbook problems, not just some of them.

By Paul G

Feb 22, 2016

Well done in terms of mathematical rigor and explaining the basics. One critique that I have is that there isn't enough time spent on intuition around the circuits. For instance, how does the buck converter work from a more qualitative standpoint? Easy to look up online, I understand, but the professor is excellent and I would benefit from his perspective.

By Cliff J

Aug 12, 2020

Explanation of the operation of DC converters was much more intuitive than anything I have seen thus far. The examples presented are practical, with tangible real world applications. The only item that could use improvement is the ability to see worked out solutions for incorrect quiz or homework items after the class is finished.

By priyanka k

Thank You for such a wonderful courses. This courses is good , knowledgeable , good explanation. I learned new concept from this course. From this courses i came to know that what all things I need to brushup for my master's degree. Assignment is a bit difficult and over all stuff is good . Thank you so much.

By Rafat A

May 12, 2019

the solution for numerical question were hard because of .1 % barrier and . the answer once entered correct the database should keep that result to reduce re entry of correct answers. add more exmple so that student can do more practice before attending assignment.

By Thierry G

Feb 4, 2018

Excellent introduction to the analysis of switched systems. The explanations and examples are very clearly explained.

The only drawback to this course is that it takes a lot of trying around to get used to enter the formulas into the system for the homework

By ABHIJIT S

Jul 28, 2020

It is really a nice course, the quizzes were challenging, which was nice, but it would been more helpful if proper support were provided by the mentors when someone gets stuck in a problem and the course forum are disappointing.

By Meinardo A

Jun 24, 2016

I would like to receive feedback about my wrong answers after I approve the course. I really would like to know what were the correct answers.

I think that this is really important because I can learn of my mistakes.

By Guillaume V

Apr 2, 2017

This course was quite easy.

The exercises are interesting, given with their full solution.

I think your need Pr. Erickson's book to follow the course.

Thanks to the University of Colorado Boulder.

By Muhammad A

Jul 2, 2017

The course is outstanding and designed in a very professional manner. This course can be made more better for students by including answers of problems and making forum more responsive.

By tokgozfurkan

Jul 31, 2020

Homework were tedius. Even if you knew the course subject, it is very easy to make mistakes on numerical questions. I think you should increase the 0.1% error margin to a higher value.

By Brandon R V

Sep 10, 2020

It was a bit too hard.

I wish it had more simulations and practices with software.

Most of the assignments I had to use the simulator to have a better understanding of the subjects.

By Veda N

Jul 27, 2020

It would have been better if there was an option to discuss the assignments after submission. I found the discussion forum less useful.

But overall the course was really helpful.

By Samuel C

Mar 22, 2020

A good introduction to switching converters. There are thoroughly worked out examples to make the coursework accessible to students who are willing to put in the time.

By Alessandro P

Apr 24, 2020

It would be nice to have a way to interact even for a limited amount of time with the professor but I assume that for the cost of the training this is hardly possible

By Jayson S

Jun 25, 2018

I feel like the lecture should of went over the buck-boost and left the buck converter and the boost converter as homework problems. It was challenging, but passable.

By Rachananjali

Aug 24, 2016

The course was good and the assignments were brainstorming. But if we would have the solution for the wrong answers it would be good. We will get to know the mistake.

By Aayush P B

Jan 15, 2017

It is exciting and meant for people who are interested to research much more about what is thought. May take some time for classmates to help you with any queries.

By Maximilian B

Apr 12, 2020

Very interesting class. Videos are very good and understandable. The speed of learning is good for me. There is no support for arising questions besides the fo

By Einoras F

Sep 5, 2020

I do not know... maybe too dry of a course? Info is great, but it seems like the book is a prerequisit.. Otherwise, I got a lot of knowledge, so I am happy

By Vivek R

Nov 22, 2016

This is really a great introduction to power electronics. The only thing I disliked was you need to type in your answers accurate up to 8 decimal digits.

By Cole M

Feb 28, 2020

clear and concise. could improve by making homework questions more tolerant in significant figures, but overall I would definitely recommend this course

By Andrew N

Mar 15, 2017

Great information, nice pace, only complaint is Homework take a long time especially entering your answers, very picky and precise, enjoy the lectures!

Jul 5, 2016

A fair amount of self-study is necessary to learn everything covered in-depth (especially if you haven't yet learned these as part of a formal course).