Back to Introduction to Power Electronics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Power Electronics by University of Colorado Boulder

This course can also be taken for academic credit as ECEA 5700, part of CU Boulder’s Master of Science in Electrical Engineering degree. This course introduces the basic concepts of switched-mode converter circuits for controlling and converting electrical power with high efficiency. Principles of converter circuit analysis are introduced, and are developed for finding the steady state voltages, current, and efficiency of power converters. Assignments include simulation of a dc-dc converter, analysis of an inverting dc-dc converter, and modeling and efficiency analysis of an electric vehicle system and of a USB power regulator. After completing this course, you will: ● Understand what a switched-mode converter is and its basic operating principles ● Be able to solve for the steady-state voltages and currents of step-down, step-up, inverting, and other power converters ● Know how to derive an averaged equivalent circuit model and solve for the converter efficiency A basic understanding of electrical circuit analysis is an assumed prerequisite for this course....

SA
Jul 31, 2017

This course sets the groundwork for more advanced concepts in Power Electronics. The Professor was very explicit and the homework assignments were of a good strength to help ground the notions learnt.

SH
Sep 22, 2017

I am very please of with course but i also want the course of power electronics related to any field i mean in FACTS devices applications so we can learn more related to new emerging technologies .

101 - 125 of 649 Reviews for Introduction to Power Electronics

By jagadish s

Mar 28, 2016

I have been in the power domain for the past 4 years and this course help me understand some of the design choices that we sometimes made as the pass-downs from others experiences.. thanks!!

By Felipe K F

Jul 1, 2018

This course is really good, the approach to dealing with the problems (the models proposed) make the content easier than it looks, although still demanding some time to do the assignments.

By Akashkiran S

Jun 18, 2017

Even though I am an electrical student this course really helped me in setting my foundation in power electronics.I would recommend all college going students to take up this course

By Luheng Q

Jun 6, 2017

well designed exercises. I have learned PMIC for one semester, and this course is a good supplement to what I have learned. In addition, the analyzing method seems to be universal.

By Karim E

Jan 12, 2020

The professor explains every concept comprehensively and I could master drawing steady state wave forms for every power converter from just this course. Thanks a lot Prof. Erikson

By Mritunjay K

Feb 28, 2020

This course helped me to get acquainted with Power Electronics with good problems. It would be more helpful if the solution of the assignments were discussed.

Thank you, Coursera.

By KOMARAGIRI S

Feb 26, 2018

It's very great feeling for me to complete this course.All the subject inside the course are featured.This course addups to your skills in addition to addon in a resume.thank you

By Josué S C R

Jul 29, 2020

Very complete course. The theorical material was incredibly explained and very useful. I think this is the most challenging course that I have taken. Thank you for everything!!!

By Scott S

Oct 3, 2016

Some tough assignment questions which lead to much longer homework time than anticipated, so you need to leave ample time to complete the assignments. But, great class over-all.

By TATANG T Y

Great course !!!

I learned a lot. What I regret is the writing of mathematical expressions which is really not intuitive. it takes a long time just to write an expression well

By Gopi R C

Dec 26, 2019

I like the sample quizzes during the Lectures that are helpful in reinforcing the concepts. Also, Homework simulations are pretty helpful in the modeling of practical aspects.

By Patrick H

Dec 29, 2017

I took the Power Electronics course at CU and wanted to keep my skills sharp. This online version covers the same topics at the same depth, and is absolutely worth your time.

By angelo p

Feb 7, 2016

Dr. Erickson makes power electronics accessible and fun to the beginner and expert alike. Highly recommend for any student aspiring for a career in power management design.

By Maximilian Z

Feb 23, 2017

This was a good introduction to the field. I attempted it a while back. The instructors introduce LTSpice, yet it is never used? Maybe it will come up in the next courses.

By David S M H

Dec 28, 2020

Good starting point for someone with EE background but hasn't specialized in power electronics. Assignments are challenging but worthwhile in doing to learn the material.

By ABU H M R

Jul 3, 2020

Dr. Robert Erickson is an amazing instructor and he provided practical examples of different switched-mode converter circuits. The assignments are also quite challenging.

By Chris R

Feb 12, 2018

I audited the course and found it to be a great introduction to DC modeling for power supply design. Looking forward to completing more of the Power Electronics courses.

By Rakesh R

Feb 13, 2018

Very good homework problems. Doing them really tests your understanding. And it is quite challenging atleast for me....maybe because out of college for 20 years now.

By Furkan Y

Sep 8, 2020

A very professional and beneficial introduction to Power Electronics. The assignments are a bit serious and time consuming. However, it is due to their seriousness.

By Javier A L C

It's a great course, big introduction for a subject that interesting. I love to find a different aproaches from the techniques learned before. Highly recommended

By Yehia K A

Oct 29, 2017

A very good introduction to a the excellent specialization courses. Reminded me with the undergraduate topics I've studied in university.

Many Thanks Dr. Erickson

By EMMANUEL K

Mar 26, 2019

Interesting and well taught course. But there are too much gab between what is taught and what is required to completing the assignments. Overall, it is great!

By Yash R

May 12, 2019

The problem sets provided greatly helped me understand the matter in depth. I feel confident and can now understand other literature on Power Electronics.

By Bibin K S

Nov 18, 2016

Very informative course will well thought assignments. I would expect explanations of incorrect answers that would ideally help in correcting the students

By Mirko Z

Jan 24, 2018

The course is well constructed and everything is detailed taught. It is a good course for people who want to have a glance of what is power electronics.