Back to Introduction to Power Electronics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Power Electronics by University of Colorado Boulder

This course can also be taken for academic credit as ECEA 5700, part of CU Boulder’s Master of Science in Electrical Engineering degree. This course introduces the basic concepts of switched-mode converter circuits for controlling and converting electrical power with high efficiency. Principles of converter circuit analysis are introduced, and are developed for finding the steady state voltages, current, and efficiency of power converters. Assignments include simulation of a dc-dc converter, analysis of an inverting dc-dc converter, and modeling and efficiency analysis of an electric vehicle system and of a USB power regulator. After completing this course, you will: ● Understand what a switched-mode converter is and its basic operating principles ● Be able to solve for the steady-state voltages and currents of step-down, step-up, inverting, and other power converters ● Know how to derive an averaged equivalent circuit model and solve for the converter efficiency A basic understanding of electrical circuit analysis is an assumed prerequisite for this course....

SA
Jul 31, 2017

This course sets the groundwork for more advanced concepts in Power Electronics. The Professor was very explicit and the homework assignments were of a good strength to help ground the notions learnt.

PK
Jun 18, 2020

Very nice course. Even if you are already familiar with power electronics, it will help you to form a system of knowledge and utilize rational approaches for task solution of any level of complicity.

676 - 700 of 702 Reviews for Introduction to Power Electronics

By Taylor S

Sep 29, 2018

This course has some very good things to learn. It picks up pace very rapidly. My biggest complaint is that there is far, far too few examples and/or sample problems. There are none in the lecture, and only 2 solved sample problems per week. There is no point in giving 7 sample problems, then only giving the solution to 2 of them. The lectures are good and coherent, but I don't feel like they fully prepare you for the homework, particularly for Week 3. And the forums are not very helpful for diagnosing mistakes, in the rare event you get an answer in a timely enough manner to be helpful. All things considered, I learned quite a lot from the 3 weeks of this class and is still a bargain for the price.

Apr 3, 2021

Although this course was great overall, I think it needs to have more content to explain more converter topologies. The homework assignments were at times extremely difficult due to a lack of helpful examples in lectures.

I have taken this course in undergrad (RIT) and concepts were more thoroughly explained to me there than here. I hope I am not being too harsh, as I do think this is good for those that haven't been exposed to much of the power electronics field before. Maybe the next course in this specialization will change my opinion!

By R.L C

Feb 3, 2017

My opinion:

Not much monitoring of the forums by mentors\instructors, hence responses are non- existent\delayed\misleading. some of the replies by mentors were misleading, The rationale of the Volt-sec balance was not set out very clearly, The expression evaluator is very temperamental, i had to enter the expressions many times , a very time-consuming & frustrating process.

By The R

Jun 27, 2021

first of all I thank Allah who allowed me to cover and participate this benefitable efficiency and essential course and is useful important to me. it gave to me some understandable lessons and also theory rather than i got an experience. it good course for all the electronics

By Abhinav R

Nov 4, 2016

This Course is very standard. I would have given 5 stars. Once you complete the weekly quiz and PASS it, you don't see the worked out solutions for the weekly quiz so that you can review.

By Unheh O

Jul 14, 2021

G​ood and concise lectures. Challenging homework problems, but I think I would have gained much more out of the course with solutions to the homework problems.

By Aya I

Good Intro information,but very little interactions or none on the discussion boards as the hw assignments are too complicated next to the lectures.

By Ing. R V

Mar 8, 2020

Quite good course practical and useful but without any support of lecturer or responsible person who is able to answer specific question at forum

By Rajat J

Apr 3, 2016

More theoretical. Analytical and Intuition is not much developed. Good for getting familiar with switch mode converter circuits.

By Thomas E M

Sep 18, 2016

There are serious issues with the quizzes. Other than grading correct/incorrect, there is no feedback afterwards.

By Farhan S

Mar 2, 2021

A good course but need some more advance software for the solving and practising of assignment and knowledge.

By Joy J S P

Jun 7, 2020

Should be extended from 3 week course to 5 week. Basics should be covered in 1st 2 weeks

By Phuong N

Apr 21, 2017

That course is quite good to get the fundamental knowledge about power electronics

By MARK G

Jun 29, 2017

Course is very good and well explaned. Tutor support is very patchy though.

By Ramya G

Aug 21, 2021

I have not received the certificate after completing the course

By Yi W

Jul 10, 2020

Good course. How to get feedback about homework?

By HARSHIT K

Aug 27, 2020

BIT DIFFICULT

By Clayton B

Jan 10, 2021

LTSpice is what spoiled it for me. It made it impossible for me to continue this course past week one due to the demands of the workings of my work and budget. I am running a farm on a shoestring budget as my semiretirement profession, and the expense of getting graded by the LTSpice made this unfeasible for me.

By Biswamoy P

Aug 10, 2021

The course content was absolutely relevant. I enjoyed the course very much. But. at last I am disappointed after getting certificate. The certificate is not displaying my name, instead it is showing " Date of Birth" in place of name.

By Wangnan Z

Aug 23, 2021

Literally no forum support. calculation tolerance is very small

By Валерий В