Back to Predictive Modeling and Analytics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Predictive Modeling and Analytics by University of Colorado Boulder

3.6

Welcome to the second course in the Data Analytics for Business specialization! This course will introduce you to some of the most widely used predictive modeling techniques and their core principles. By taking this course, you will form a solid foundation of predictive analytics, which refers to tools and techniques for building statistical or machine learning models to make predictions based on data. You will learn how to carry out exploratory data analysis to gain insights and prepare data for predictive modeling, an essential skill valued in the business. You’ll also learn how to summarize and visualize datasets using plots so that you can present your results in a compelling and meaningful way. We will use a practical predictive modeling software, XLMiner, which is a popular Excel plug-in. This course is designed for anyone who is interested in using data to gain insights and make better business decisions. The techniques discussed are applied in all functional areas within business organizations including accounting, finance, human resource management, marketing, operations, and strategic planning. The expected prerequisites for this course include a prior working knowledge of Excel, introductory level algebra, and basic statistics....

TM
Apr 14, 2020

Good course to give a basic understanding of predictive modelling and analytics. Good assignments and opportunity to review peer submissions help reinforce the learnings.

HA
Nov 19, 2017

this course teach you about the technical of using tools for predictive modeling. very useful for you who want to learn the fundamental of analytics.

176 - 194 of 194 Reviews for Predictive Modeling and Analytics

By Dham S

Apr 24, 2020

poor content structure

By Kevin J

Jun 3, 2020

I don't usually rate applications, let alone courses, but this is the one course I was extremely frustrated at, and I saw that I was not alone in this.

First, assignment 3 is buggy, very likely because the version of xlminer is different (I ended up downloading xlminer from other available sources because the version this course gave did not work!!). Different versions including the partition result presentation and logistic regression step 1 appearance.

Second, xlminer is COMPULSORY and NOT FREE (free trial does not count). You can not even use other tools such as Python or R because some of the values asked in questions specifically require excel to get. I still don't get why xlminer can not be a free open source add-ins. Python and R's basic machine libraries are free, why isn't xlminer?

Third, this course is the PREREQUISITE to Advance Business Analytics, which I am more interested in. Combine with my second point, it's like locking a character in a game behind a paywall as a DLC, of course people would not like it.

If you are aiming for a certificate for this course, just forget it, it's not worth it. If you are aiming for learning the subject, you can still take the course. Overall, absolutely not going to recommend it.

To developer of this course, please REVISE THE ASSIGNMENT ASAP.

By Aman G

This class doesn't even deserve that one star.It is easily the worst class I've ever taken on Coursera. The data in the final does not match the description. There are mistakes in the lessons and on the quiz. There is no feedback to forum.I was very disappointed by this course. The professor was knowledgeable, but was difficult to understand and spoke quickly. Even the transcript had the words [INAUDIBLE] listed multiple times because he was so difficult to understand. There were no slides, so note taking was difficult. The course also requires paying $25 for an Excel Add-In, which was not mentioned before enrolling in the course. The Excel Add-In is a different version from the version used in the video, so it was very difficult to follow along because the screens and outputs were different. I also had an issue with the Excel Add-In that made some of my work late because the issue could not be resolved quickly. The Analytic Solver (the Add-Inrepresentative said the problem was on their end, and had to fix the issue himself. Overall I was extremely disappointed and would not recommend this course to anyone. If this had been the first course in the specialization, I would not have continued. In my opinion UC-B needs to rethink if they should even offer this course.

By Lauri S

Apr 27, 2020

I learned close to nothing (I want to say it was absolutely nothing because I think that's accurate), from this course. In my opinion, it was just a plug for the university's data miner plug-in. The instructor was so hard to understand and the videos didn't instruct on how to implement the practices they "taught". Finally, I don't know anyone in data analytics who uses these methods of predictive modeling. They're outdated and school-level insights used by professors. I do not recommend this course to anyone.

By Trevor B

As if the professor's lifeless eyes didn't make it tough to focus on the videos already, the professor was incredibly tough to understand to the point where even the person captioning the video had to add "(Inaudible)" at places. I also had to spend 2 days just trying to figure out XLMiner because I didn't have Excel and then later XLMiner wouldn't let me log in. This course was a nightmare

By Michael R

Aug 4, 2021

Solver gave me a temporary license which quickly expired before I finished all the classes. I have contacted them multiple times. This course is honestly not worth the hassle of trying to get access to their software. The desktop version doesn't work on my computer and the 365 temporary trial quickly expired. This was one of the worst experiences I've had on coursera.

By Rafael R

Jun 17, 2020

If you don´t have a US credit-card to purchase Solver you are not allowed to continue studying.

It´s just impossible to use a Credit-card from another country. It´s annoying and a waste of time.

coursera / Boulder Uni should elect only software companies or partners able to supply all students.

It´s a shame.

By Erwin T

Oct 9, 2020

Narrative in video's is way too fast and very mathematical oriented.

Documentation is weak.

High demanding on tests with quizzes on course info + each week extra quizzes with assignments

Not good to follow due to bad English in video's.

By Piero A T

I do not like this course. The lecturer's accent is really difficult to follow and there are no notes for this course. I do not understand why it keeps online. University should consider changing the lecturer.

By Christoph A

Mar 28, 2021

Uninspiring nonsense. I am currently considering to drop the complete 'Advanced Business Analytics Specialization' because of this one here.

By Ana H

Apr 8, 2021

I would rate negative if I could.

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE QUALITY...Terrible really....... never would recommend it and just a mediocre class

By Kellie R

May 14, 2020

I was unable to successfully install the required excel add-in and could not proceed with the course though I had already paid.

By sander D W

Jun 29, 2020

Basic course

Not as many practical business examples as I hoped for

The teacher is very difficult to understand

By ANIRUDH C

Feb 8, 2021

No lecture slides.

Instructor English is not understandable and is speaking very fast.

By Heino K

Sep 6, 2021

This course is hard to follow for a non-naive English speaker.

By SARTHAK M

May 1, 2020

Course content and assignment content don't match.

By Viktoriia D