Back to The Art of Music Production

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Art of Music Production by Berklee College of Music

Explore the art of record production and how to make recordings that other people will love listening to. This course will teach you how to make emotionally moving recordings on almost any recording equipment, including your phone or laptop. The emphasis is on mastering tangible artistic concepts; the gear you use is up to you. You will learn to develop the most important tool in the recording studio: your ears. You will learn to enhance every aspect of your own productions, both sonically and musically, by employing deeper listening skills. Assignments will include posting your own recordings for peer review, and reviewing your classmates’ work by employing specific tools and strategies. If you use a digital audio workstation to record and mix, that’s great, but as long as you can record into your computer and post an MP3, you can complete the assignments. As you learn about the art of record production in this 4-week course, you will also learn about yourself and who you are as an artist and producer. It is not necessary that you read music or play an instrument to take this course....

RM
Jul 28, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I learned how to create my very first music song all on my own using an interface. I am independent and ready to make lots more music in my home on my own time by myself.

LR
Sep 25, 2016

Exceptional and essential guide for music producers. This course really makes you think of music production from a holistic perspective. I'll never listen to music the same superficial way anymore...

401 - 425 of 472 Reviews for The Art of Music Production

Aug 30, 2018

grate

By Tiran n

Oct 18, 2020

good

By Atul S

Jul 26, 2020

Good

By Andrew V

Jan 9, 2017

Sep 19, 2016

A

By Noah V

Oct 8, 2020

This is a great course. I had taken a course with Stephen years ago (mid/late 1990s) when I was at Berklee and his teaching style has evolved but is similar to what I remember. Some of the exercises (artist statement, etc..) can seem like busy work but if you really take these things seriously by the end of the course you'll be well on your way to having a decent bio for a web site/press kit, or the start of one.

The only thing I didn't like was that there are a lot of people not doing the assignments to the letter or just uploading dummy files to get through the class quickly and way too much of an emphasis on loop/MIDI based "songs" with no vocals or any audio. All in all a really great class for those willing to put the work in.

By Greg W

Aug 2, 2017

Excellent course for opening up your mind and channeling your focus on your music and what you are trying to accomplish. The course is not very technical, but Stephen does an excellent, excellent job of communicating the important parts of music production -- the approach you must take to producing songs. I will watch these videos again later as I progress as a music producer to keep me grounded and focused on what I want to accomplish musically.