Back to The Art of Music Production

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Art of Music Production by Berklee College of Music

Explore the art of record production and how to make recordings that other people will love listening to. This course will teach you how to make emotionally moving recordings on almost any recording equipment, including your phone or laptop. The emphasis is on mastering tangible artistic concepts; the gear you use is up to you. You will learn to develop the most important tool in the recording studio: your ears. You will learn to enhance every aspect of your own productions, both sonically and musically, by employing deeper listening skills. Assignments will include posting your own recordings for peer review, and reviewing your classmates’ work by employing specific tools and strategies. If you use a digital audio workstation to record and mix, that’s great, but as long as you can record into your computer and post an MP3, you can complete the assignments. As you learn about the art of record production in this 4-week course, you will also learn about yourself and who you are as an artist and producer. It is not necessary that you read music or play an instrument to take this course....

RM
Jul 28, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I learned how to create my very first music song all on my own using an interface. I am independent and ready to make lots more music in my home on my own time by myself.

LR
Sep 25, 2016

Exceptional and essential guide for music producers. This course really makes you think of music production from a holistic perspective. I'll never listen to music the same superficial way anymore...

26 - 50 of 458 Reviews for The Art of Music Production

By Hielmi A

Apr 30, 2017

the course seemed to be more geared to artists/composers than technicians wishing to expand or futher their skill set

By Illona M

Jun 23, 2016

Didn't learn anything.

By Marie-Thérèse L R

Dec 26, 2016

An extremely enjoyable and accessible course to get started in music production, or to understand music production from a performer and songwriter's point of view. Easy to understand, yet introducing enough technical points to elevate the quality of recordings. The course is presented in a very friendly and genuine way, and alongside the technical knowledge there is a good amount of soul-searching to home artistic/producer identity. No special equipment is needed for the course, and in fact the material is likely to support better equipment buying decisions, so don't go shopping before Week 4. Very inspiring and highly recommended for anyone interested in finding out more about music production.

By romiquo

Jun 17, 2017

this is such an amazing experience and honor to be a part of this course . everyaspect of this course was very interesting and the structure of the entire class the way its set up is so great being able to connect with other students and sharing ideas and getting feed back , makes even more better. i love this course and want to thank the educators and the ones behind the scenes who mad this all possible . this was a great course i loved it!

By Andrew H

Aug 3, 2018

Well very designed introduction class that covers all the basic of being a singer/musician/producer. It covers all the key concepts on the art of music, what type of singer one can be, the Rules of Three, song structure, basic concepts of manipulating recorded sounds.

The only part I don't understand is the unusual length it spends explaining about the different microphones. (Maybe it will becomes very important in the future).

By Anthony K

Jul 3, 2019

This course extremely potent in the sense I felt like I learned what I needed to know, was given a clear way to apply the concepts, and gain a grasp of getting my feet wet on my music production journey in an extremely short amount of time. I would recommend this to ANY creative whether you are a performance artist, create social media content, etc - as producing original sound allows unlimited possibilities with your art.

By Gemma W

Oct 30, 2016

Absolutely loved it. As someone who is quite technically minded when it comes to music production, it was refreshing to see it from an artistic point of view, and to think about the essence of what a music recording all boils down to - capturing and conveying emotion/feeling. The emphasis on staying true to an artistic vision and intention is fantastic. I would recommend this to musicians and producers of any genre.

By Paul M

Mar 28, 2017

I enrolled in this specialization to get an introduction to pro tools. I was surprised at how fast the first course went in terms of getting my feet wet! I was composing and recording my own music in week 2. This challenging and exciting course that has me eager to continue and to put together my studio. Exactly the inspiration I needed! The teacher Dr. Weber is very down to earth, encouraging and inspiring.

By Giuseppe M

Aug 14, 2018

Even not digging very deep in the subject (just because the subjects, like many others requires a life long commitment which can't be done in just 4 weeks) however I really enjoyed the course, Stephen is a great teacher and every single aspect has been very clearly exposed. I have also enjoyed interacting with my peers by grading each other works and giving and receiving feedbacks.

Definitely 5 Stars!!!

By Sofía C P H

Jun 11, 2020

I loved this course! Lesson by lesson I got to learn more ways to be able to convey an emotion through an Identity, Vision and Intention in a song as an artist and producer, and think about how new tools affect, interact and enhance that IVI. The peer graded assignments weekly also helped me recieve feedback and understand how peers were perceiving the song. Thank you very much for this course!

By Lauren H

Nov 30, 2017

I feel so lucky to have stumbled upon this course. I really appreciate how he continually roots us back down into WHY we are creating, and the bigger picture vision for each project or song. His passion for the subject matter and excellent communication made things click for me in a way they never have, and I am getting my project in motion. Super grateful!

By Adila T S

Jul 16, 2020

Excellent teachings about the artistic perspective of music production. I think those who feel that music production is mostly techniques and softwares should definitely take this course to get in touch with their artistic side! This course really taught me greats tools and strategies to keep my intentions clear and focused while working on any project.

By Subrahmanyam M

Nov 2, 2017

This is a great course for Music Enthusiasts and those who are trying to make a career or even "thinking" of a career in Music Production.

The best part of this course is that it is not overwhelming and too demanding. It sets a good tone by giving an introduction and just enough understanding about what goes into the Art and Trade of Music Production.

By Óculos d Ó

Jan 23, 2017

The Course really brings out the basics of Music Production, mainly the Identity, Vision and Intent one has to define when one's pursuing such activities. The lessons and exercises are simple and complete, and in the end they enable you to cohesively index the artistic attributes and requirements that a Musical Production requires. Really recommend!

By Siddharth S

Jan 3, 2020

I loved the course. Grateful to stephen for wonderful instruction on art of music production. Learnt a lot and created my first song and started working on it. Hope it gets better as I proceed further in specialization. Thank you Berklee and Coursera. Thank you very much for bringing these courses on affordable rate across the world.

By My A N

Sep 7, 2020

This is the most music education that is not just practical but also inspiring, realistic and industry changes focus so that we student don't stay in the past but learning to progress for the future as the world is changing. Thank you, Berklee College Of Music and Coursera for such a wonderful and life changing eduction!

By Ariel V

Aug 18, 2020

You learn a lot from this course if you take the time to put in effort! It is very user friendly and has a lot of useful information that is provided to you! Thanks Stephen Webber and Berklee College of Music! MY DREAM COLLEGE, when I say im going to do something, I do it, and I plan on going to Berklee College of Music!

By Balkis C D T

Dec 26, 2019

Thank you so much, this helped me to organize my ideas and artistic goals.

Even if you already know this by experience and practice, having someone professional in the area pointing this matter, helps you up to take care of what you were doing by instinct.

I really enjoy it so much even though I had problems with timing.

By Chia S W

Nov 12, 2020

I loved this journey into the different facets of music production. Many students who submitted their work seem much more advanced than I am. So, I felt quite challenged. The most important lesson here was defining my artiste identity, and then figuring out what needs to go into the song. I really enjoyed this process.

By Lenson M

Aug 3, 2020

Hello,

This course is one of the best for those who want to start music production. As Berklee institution is teaching it has been more exciting course. I enjoyed learning and submitting assignment. As a student I had opportunity to review my peers which helped me to enhance myself. I am happy with this course

By Nikolaj L

Aug 21, 2017

This course is mostly about self-reflection, which is important, wether you are a beginner, or a professional. In addition it contains some practical technical advice for beginners.

The best thing about this course are the peer-graded assignments, and the way students are encouraged to discuss with each other.

By Abu S M F

Jun 6, 2020

For learning fundamentals of how music effects people, does not go into music theory or teaching DAWs or instruments but teaches some necessary human factors. Would definitely help you think and figure out how you want to structure your music (for the genre, ambiance, lyrics, sound texture and so on)

By Osuolale T O

May 5, 2020

i recommend this course for all music artist and producer. This is the platform you can get to know a code called IVI, your Identity, Vision and Intention, without these three things, the art of your music production is incomplete. Enroll today and get started, MR STEPHEN WEBBER is waiting for you.

By Leo A

Feb 5, 2017

This class was incredible! I learned SO much in 4 weeks! I got a 98% in the class and I have to say, I have ZERO experience producing music and this class taught me to basically produce my first song!

I AM SO HAPPY WITH THIS CLASS AND LOOKING FORWARD TO TAKING THE NEXT ONE IN THIS SPECIALIZATION!!!

By Dee S

Nov 1, 2016

This course was the perfect blend of basics and details. Stephen's videos are packed with valuable information yet presented in a way that is easy to understand. This course helped me take that first step in producing a song with structure and intent. Comfortable and good flow. Solid choice.