Back to The Art of Music Production

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Art of Music Production by Berklee College of Music

Explore the art of record production and how to make recordings that other people will love listening to. This course will teach you how to make emotionally moving recordings on almost any recording equipment, including your phone or laptop. The emphasis is on mastering tangible artistic concepts; the gear you use is up to you. You will learn to develop the most important tool in the recording studio: your ears. You will learn to enhance every aspect of your own productions, both sonically and musically, by employing deeper listening skills. Assignments will include posting your own recordings for peer review, and reviewing your classmates’ work by employing specific tools and strategies. If you use a digital audio workstation to record and mix, that’s great, but as long as you can record into your computer and post an MP3, you can complete the assignments. As you learn about the art of record production in this 4-week course, you will also learn about yourself and who you are as an artist and producer. It is not necessary that you read music or play an instrument to take this course....

RM
Jul 28, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I learned how to create my very first music song all on my own using an interface. I am independent and ready to make lots more music in my home on my own time by myself.

LR
Sep 25, 2016

Exceptional and essential guide for music producers. This course really makes you think of music production from a holistic perspective. I'll never listen to music the same superficial way anymore...

426 - 450 of 486 Reviews for The Art of Music Production

Aug 30, 2018

grate

By Tiran n

Oct 18, 2020

good

By Atul S

Jul 26, 2020

Good

By Andrew V

Jan 9, 2017

Sep 19, 2016

A

By Noah V

Oct 8, 2020

This is a great course. I had taken a course with Stephen years ago (mid/late 1990s) when I was at Berklee and his teaching style has evolved but is similar to what I remember. Some of the exercises (artist statement, etc..) can seem like busy work but if you really take these things seriously by the end of the course you'll be well on your way to having a decent bio for a web site/press kit, or the start of one.

The only thing I didn't like was that there are a lot of people not doing the assignments to the letter or just uploading dummy files to get through the class quickly and way too much of an emphasis on loop/MIDI based "songs" with no vocals or any audio. All in all a really great class for those willing to put the work in.

By Shaina V

Jan 30, 2021

Great course. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. My one critique is that it’s stated that no prior experience is necessary for this course, but a huge focus is music composition, even if on the smallest, most amateur level. I’m sure there are many non-composing individuals interested in learning audio engineering who will struggle with the music writing portion of the course. I, personally, have a music degree, and I still had trouble with this part of the class because I am not a composer. There are many people, including myself, who are interesting in producing OTHER people’s music.

By Greg W

Aug 2, 2017

Excellent course for opening up your mind and channeling your focus on your music and what you are trying to accomplish. The course is not very technical, but Stephen does an excellent, excellent job of communicating the important parts of music production -- the approach you must take to producing songs. I will watch these videos again later as I progress as a music producer to keep me grounded and focused on what I want to accomplish musically.

By Madeleine A

Feb 22, 2021

This course helped me to learn a lot about myself as an artist! The need for a strong Identity, Vision, and Intention was firmly established. As well as going over writing better lyrics, melodies, and song structure, I learned some nifty production and recording tricks from this course! I really recommend it if you're just getting into making your own music!

By Max K

Aug 9, 2016

This is a great introductory level course to give an overview of the basics of music production. It's a little more focused on songwriting than I had expected, but there is a good amount of technical information as well. You won't come out of this course as the next Steve Albini, but you'll definitely have a great starting point to build from.

By Anil G

Jul 11, 2016

Excellent for all, beginner or pro, one should try this course. Always thought I knew more than the basics but this course changed my mind. The ABCs of concept and foundation of music which this course offers is something that most people haven not thought about. Totally changed the way I took music as till now.

By Pablo M Á

Nov 17, 2020

Muy buen curso, pero es difícil que la enseñanza sea eficiente si no se tiene contacto directo con equipos de producción musical, por lo que se centra en una teoría muy general. Aún así hay muy útiles y consejos que me han servido de bastante y he incorporado en mis producciones.

By Ahmed Z

Sep 9, 2017

Really good course! just make sure if you are not a musician and only interested in music production for other artists that you have your artists on stand by for the course because you will need them to show up for you to record at least 3 times during the time of the course.

By Chris F

Sep 25, 2019

Great course! I learned a lot about recording and production, and the emotional planning of projects. I didn't experience much peer review or sense of community. That was the only thing lacking. Everything else was very helpful.

By Egor O

Dec 25, 2018

Very good course which makes you think about music as a way to convey emotions and thoughts, not just notes and harmonics. Would recommend it a lot for people who have some experience at creating music.

By Pierce C

Jul 22, 2016

Definitely stretched me to think of myself as an artist rather than just a musician. This course is a great starting point for someone who wants to get into the nitty gritty of the creative process!

By Lisa G

May 17, 2017

Very good introductory course for those looking to get started creating their own music, who don't have a lot of experience doing os, or who could use a few tips to enhance what they already do.

By Ingrid E C Z

Jul 28, 2020

It´s a very good training for a beginner in this matter. The tips and orientations are very interesting and very helpul. The teacher Stephen Webber explains clearly and in a friendly way.

By Manling W

May 30, 2017

I learned a lot of things from the lectures, assignments and the feedbacks from classmates. I hope our works can be read by the lecturer or the real tutors someday.

By Travis L B

Jan 6, 2021

Very good to refresh on the basics or to learn for the first time. Hoping this leads into more dynamic coursework in the rest of the music production curriculum.

By Jakub P

Jan 6, 2017

Very informative and engaging. Stephen's attitude makes you want to go and make recordings right away, it's a pity you can't take quizzes without paying though.

By Rahul M

May 15, 2019

Really helped me understand the very subtle details that a producer should start observing while on the job or outside of it. Very Insightful and interesting.