Back to The Art of Music Production

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Art of Music Production by Berklee College of Music

Explore the art of record production and how to make recordings that other people will love listening to. This course will teach you how to make emotionally moving recordings on almost any recording equipment, including your phone or laptop. The emphasis is on mastering tangible artistic concepts; the gear you use is up to you. You will learn to develop the most important tool in the recording studio: your ears. You will learn to enhance every aspect of your own productions, both sonically and musically, by employing deeper listening skills. Assignments will include posting your own recordings for peer review, and reviewing your classmates’ work by employing specific tools and strategies. If you use a digital audio workstation to record and mix, that’s great, but as long as you can record into your computer and post an MP3, you can complete the assignments. As you learn about the art of record production in this 4-week course, you will also learn about yourself and who you are as an artist and producer. It is not necessary that you read music or play an instrument to take this course....

RM
Jul 28, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I learned how to create my very first music song all on my own using an interface. I am independent and ready to make lots more music in my home on my own time by myself.

LR
Sep 25, 2016

Exceptional and essential guide for music producers. This course really makes you think of music production from a holistic perspective. I'll never listen to music the same superficial way anymore...

476 - 500 of 508 Reviews for The Art of Music Production

By Hannah K

Dec 7, 2020

Thanks for this course. It really made me think and grow as a musician, but also as a potential music producer one day.

By Raphael A

Jul 4, 2017

It is a cool course to get basic knowledge about the art of music production, tho it doesn't get into great details.

By HO O

Apr 2, 2019

it was a great course i 've learned how music structured and songs and give me lt general understanding of songs .

By Slavko B

Nov 19, 2018

Very informative. Good tutorials and instruction. It was helpful to refine skills and learn new ones.

By Preston K S

Good but very elementary. Good source of foundation though. Worth it but can speed through it.

By Ánderson C

Apr 6, 2020

This course will improve you as a producer and give you tools and knowledge about it.

By Sebastian A O H

Nov 1, 2019

Overall a good course! I expected a little more in-depth theory or techniques though.

By helloNickyLouis

Jun 29, 2016

This course gives great insight on how to approach song writing and music production!

By Daniel S

Oct 8, 2018

learned some important fundamentals. This course is definitely for beginners

By Nikhil K

Oct 4, 2016

Very informative. Helped in understanding various minor aspects

By Probal K D

Nov 9, 2020

It was just an amazing part of music production..

By RISHAB K

Aug 20, 2020

Its a good course for a beginner

By André C

Jul 22, 2016

Very interesting to begin with.

By Dennis O

Aug 17, 2017

Nice course - I learnt alot!

By Marco M

Feb 24, 2019

Quick but inspiring enough.

By Brandon G

Jan 3, 2018

Good fundamental learning.

By Donald B

Oct 10, 2016

Nice intro to production.

By Marcos F

Oct 29, 2020

Nice

By Eric L

Jul 28, 2020

Very good course. A class Zoom meeting with the instructor at the start would be helpful to address the constant changes occurring in music technology like the free Bandlab Cakewalk DAW. Students build on an original composition during each of the four weeks. Unlike a music business course, production really needs as much two-way feedback as possible when you are in the learning stages, and it's only provided by other students rather than by the instructor or a production pro. A recommended viewing of George Martin - In My Life (1998) [VHS] available on Utube in the beginning would do wonders for understanding the role of a producer. Taking a songwriting and mixing class beforehand is also recommended so that you can focus on learning producing rather than wearing the hats of songwriter, musician and recording engineer while trying to learn producing. Overall, a class worth taking as long as the mentioned preparation is done.

By Timothy A C B

Aug 24, 2020

I found the course not so useful for me. There are a lot of little tips of everything about production but nothing too serious. But some things I found interesting, like writing the emotions, vision and intention of the project. Also some tips can scape from your mind sometimes, so it was great to have them writen down. Maybe for people that really doesn't know anything about music production it can be very useful because I'm a sound engineer student so most of the things I've already learned from working with music producers on previews projects. But for me it wasn't satisfying.

By Craig M

Dec 4, 2020

Course was ok, I was hoping to go indepth into mixing and mastering, but hopefully will do in the next corse (I'm doing the Music Production Specialization)

If I had a note, I'd tell the guy on video to stop the constant side-view switches on video, nobody wants to watch you talking from the side as if talking to someone else.