Back to Functional Programming Principles in Scala

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Functional Programming Principles in Scala by École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne

Functional programming is becoming increasingly widespread in industry. This trend is driven by the adoption of Scala as the main programming language for many applications. Scala fuses functional and object-oriented programming in a practical package. It interoperates seamlessly with both Java and Javascript. Scala is the implementation language of many important frameworks, including Apache Spark, Kafka, and Akka. It provides the core infrastructure for sites such as Twitter, Tumblr and also Coursera. In this course you will discover the elements of the functional programming style and learn how to apply them usefully in your daily programming tasks, such as modeling business domains or implementing business logic. You will also develop a solid foundation for reasoning about functional programs, by touching upon proofs of invariants and the tracing of execution symbolically. The course is hands on; most units introduce short programs that serve as illustrations of important concepts and invite you to play with them, modifying and improving them. The course is complemented by a series programming projects as homework assignments. Recommended background: You should have at least one year programming experience. Proficiency with Java or C# is ideal, but experience with other languages such as C/C++, Python, Javascript or Ruby is also sufficient. You should have some familiarity using the command line....

VP
Sep 13, 2018

It took me much longer than expected to finish the course and sometimes it made me feel stupid and helpless. Diving into functional programming was a mind bending experience, totally worth time spent!

AJ
Sep 23, 2019

As expected Martin is awesome in explaining principle of functional programming. I have started reading the book as well to make sure I keep up with the knowledge which I have gained from this course.

1351 - 1375 of 1,504 Reviews for Functional Programming Principles in Scala

By Juan A A

Jan 1, 2018

The contents are great. Some assignments have the problem that all tests pass in the local machine that they don't work on the Coursera sever when they are submitted

By kieran s

Nov 14, 2017

Great course, but some exercises are very challenging for any beginners who wouldn't be motivated to push through. Still better than almost anything else out there!

By Nahum P

May 20, 2017

Gives you insight into different thinking in recursive way.

The major problem, that it doesn't allow people not used to recursive thinking to get into problems fast.

By Juha K

Nov 8, 2016

Great introduction to functional programming, and you'll get to learn the basics of Scala at the same time. Some of the assignments have a bit cryptic descriptions.

By Luye H

Sep 27, 2020

well around intro to scala and FP principle. nice to learn from the original author of scala with good breath and depth. However the assignment is quite difficult.

By felipe b h

Sep 3, 2019

Very good all in all. Seting up environment is a little bit difficult ans it makes beginning rather cumbersome, but then the clases and the material are excellent

By Jim R

Jul 4, 2017

Last assignment is insanely hard! And I think one of the unit tests used during grading takes order into account where it shouldn't (subtract assessment - assess)

By aditya p

Jan 15, 2017

Good course for learning functional paradigm coupled with object oriented concept. Very well planned course. It is definitely a great learning opportunity.

Thanks

By Romain G

Jun 27, 2017

I learned a lot in this course. Lots of it I knew, but now I feel I understand the basics better. Very well worth the time and efforts to complete this course.

By Mauro K L

Oct 14, 2019

Excelente curso, aprendi muito sobre programação funcional. Quem não tem muito conhecimento sobre Java pode ter um pouco de dificuldades em algumas etapas.

By Juraj V

Sep 29, 2017

Good introduction to scala principles. However some assignements are little bit hard, more concentrated on algorithms than scala itself. But I recommend.

By Yacine G

Nov 8, 2018

Very interesting course, and a pretty challenging one. I particularly loved how the nitty-gritties of the Scala programming languge have been presented.

By özgür a

Jun 24, 2017

Although the course lacks some details, I really appreciated it, especially the assignments emphasizing the coding format and testing. I learned a lot !

By Jessica C

May 7, 2017

I feel like I learned quite a bit about functional programming. I was always curious about Scala since my college days. I highly recommend this class.

By Juan J E

May 22, 2018

I would have liked to see examples applicable to situations closer to the business reality, despite that, I really liked it and I recommend the course.

By Aschwin W

Sep 20, 2016

High level course. Exercises are academic of nature. You might need more time to finish the exercises. I appreciate that this is a well formed course.

By Dani G

Oct 21, 2016

Great Course to be familiar with the functional programming principles. Missing a little bit more solved examples and some more fundamental materail

By Jose C C F

May 16, 2020

It could have some more tests for the code in the assignments, otherwise its kind of difficult to test your own code. At least one test per method

By Dung V

Oct 14, 2016

I like this course. It can help me about practise programing scala easily. In here, I can learn scala programming quickly with support everyone.

By Boris E

Dec 19, 2016

Wish they didn't restructure the old classes, now it offers less of the interesting material. Fantastic course nonetheless, highly recommended.

By Philipp J

Jun 22, 2017

you can learn a lot and the course is prepared really well. Sometimes I would wish to have some more practical and less mathematical examples.

By BIN L

Jun 13, 2018

quite good course & professor, just the exercise is a bit too much for a beginner; more suitable for people who are familiar with the syntax

By Xiaoran(Kerry) C

Feb 22, 2021

The assignment is a huge jump from the course content. But overall very well-designed course and learned a lot of algorithms along the way!

By Christian B

Aug 10, 2017

More explanations on the basics of the language to start would be helpful. First try to express it in languages and terms that are familiar

By Michal N

Apr 10, 2019

Pretty good course on Scala. Only thing they can change is to move Week 4 assignment to week 5 - because Week 5 videos help a lot with it.