Back to Programming Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming Fundamentals by Duke University

Programming is an increasingly important skill, whether you aspire to a career in software development, or in other fields. This course is the first in the specialization Introduction to Programming in C, but its lessons extend to any language you might want to learn. This is because programming is fundamentally about figuring out how to solve a class of problems and writing the algorithm, a clear set of steps to solve any problem in its class. This course will introduce you to a powerful problem-solving process—the Seven Steps—which you can use to solve any programming problem. In this course, you will learn how to develop an algorithm, then progress to reading code and understanding how programming concepts relate to algorithms....

EE
Aug 13, 2020

The instruction provided in this course are very clear and anyone who can learn coding by this course. But the course has more readable content for you to take notes and reading it may take more time.

TL
Aug 30, 2020

I had no background in programming before attending this course and I had my own doubts on learning a new language online. But trust me, this course is very well-built and it was a cake walk for me.

151 - 175 of 1,546 Reviews for Programming Fundamentals

By xunzhi j

Jul 18, 2020

Thank you so much Duke University for this wonderful programming starter course. And i have already some C programming courses in the university and now i got my memory back and it is just wonderful. Thank you guys so much!

By Bogdan U

Nov 13, 2019

As with the previous Specialization I took, the Software Engineering Fundamentals with Java, the quality of the material and the way the knowledge is relayed is at a very high level...and I love the hands-ons, of course. :)

By Sarath S

Apr 5, 2020

I was studying c programming in my college and i found it very hard. But this course was a whole different approach. The seven step process and studying deeply about the storage of information in hardware was very helpful.

By Varnika V S

Dec 29, 2017

There's not a single negative remark from my side. All prof's have taught us fro the scratch & has made us not just to write code, but experience the codes. Hence I heartily thank for all the efforts put by the prof's:-)

By GAYANE G

Oct 15, 2020

This is my first programming course I have ever taken. I loved that it was simple and challenging enough to learn the basics of programming. It helped me to learn and understand how computers/programs work.

Very helpful.

By Puja k

Apr 29, 2020

A very great platform for the students to learn and explore any course whatever they want to learn .Coursera offers an atonishing chance to develop yourself .where you can learn anything from the world's greatest mind .

By pranay s

Jul 27, 2020

this course gives me the knowledge about how to think and write an algorithm for any purpose and guides how to start writing your code without wasting precious time and how to avoide the mistake while writing the code.

By Marietta L

Excellent Course! Starting from the very basics, which was exactly what I needed. I feel like I have a good foundation to move on to the next step. Appreciate the very thorough examples explained in the videos as well.

By Ankit S

Oct 31, 2019

Very good course recommend this for everyone. I know this course before then i completed this even earlier. Very good course for both students who have some prior knowledge or who which don't have any knowledge at all.

By Keshav J

Apr 13, 2020

Although at starting I thought it to be easy and simple but on moving further I came to realize that even easy and simple stuffs do have some concept which is entirely useful for enhancing the fundamentalss knowledge.

By Yilan X

Jun 19, 2019

It is really helpful to give the big picture of planning, 7 steps, how to write an algorithm first before diving into the details of syntax. In that way it stresses the importance of problem solving using programming

By Wang X

Dec 30, 2020

Great course! I have very strong programming background with some OOP. Many ideas introduced in this course I did not know and never seen. Enjoys this course very much and will continue to study the sequence courses

By Jason C

Feb 28, 2020

it's one of the better courses taught on all the available mooc platform. I was glad to learn some of the very important concepts in c, but also it reminds students of a healthy and encouraging learning environment.

By Agampodi D Y P P

Dec 9, 2020

this is a wonderful course.I like it very much because it teaches basics of programming very clearly.I highly recommend this course to beginners and any others who have some experiences in any programming language

By Abid H M

Jun 30, 2020

Such an amazing course. In the first place, I would start coding not understanding what the question requires. This course made me think I should follow the steps to write the code more effectively and efficiently.

By Md. M

May 4, 2020

I have successfully completed an online course at Coursera. It was an amazing journey, I have learned so many things during the course. Thanks, Coursera for offering us this course. I loved it from start to finish.

By Sachin M

May 30, 2021

Thank you COURSERA and all teachers of Duke University for great explanation by videos ,quiz and notes .This course really helps me to gain confident in my domain and gave me basic concepts to go ahead .Thank You.

By Md. R Q S

Jul 19, 2020

This course was great. Instructors are amazing. I've learned a lot of new and interesting things from this course. Thank you Andrew D. Hilton. Thank you Genevieve M. Lipp. Thank you Anne Bracy. Thank you coursera.

By Aaron E

Jun 28, 2020

Good introduction. Did not do one bit of coding in this first course, but it really broke down the important key factors necessary early on. Also, really displayed the necessary problem solving skills for coding.

By Sk I A

Jul 8, 2019

This Course was exceptionally beginner friendly and very much informative. Besides, i am privileged to get some knowledge from some of the best professors of a highly reputed institution like Duke University.

By Mayank A

Jul 16, 2020

This is course is very beneficial for those who want to know the fundamentals of programming. Many important topics like planning before coding, everything is number, and many more were discussed thoroughly.

By Simon S

Apr 12, 2019

Thanks a lot, Andrew, Genevieve, and Anne; the course has been very informative and mind-opening--it has also whetted my appetite to learn more about the topic.

Thanks and best of regards in your endeavours!

By Brandy M

Aug 19, 2020

I loved how the content was explained: very clearly, in plain English, with many examples of what was being discussed. Having written instruction followed by video examples helped everything come together.

By 19EBKCS036_DHRUV_SHARMA

thank you coursera ... you've helped me a lot , this course has enhanced my programming skills , which might help me in my future . this course has made programming easier for me . thank you very much .

By Sravanthi D

Apr 21, 2020

I learn this very good fundamental in course. I like this course. Explanation is good. I learn more important points in algorithm and c. I learn how to write programs in the c language.

Thank you sir.