Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

P

Jan 29, 2020

Thank you to Coursera for such a great platform to improve our skills and literacy.The learning environment offered here is completely a learn at your own pace environment,making it flexible to learn.

BS

Jul 06, 2020

Excelent course! It gives you the principles of project management for the early phases, initianing and planning, it has very good dynamic and share examples, it's a good option if you're newbie in PM

101 - 125 of 3,099 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Jessie N G

I don't regret taking this course. By curiousity I just wanted to do something different, learn new skills and at the end of it I just realized this course spans through all domains of life. I am looking forth to use the skills acquired to upgrade my working standards.

By Cherizard T

Dec 04, 2018

This course has helped me better understand the field of project management. I have now a very good grasp of the project cycle and have been introduced to the PMBOK. the instructor was friendly and has wonderful pedagogical approach. I strongly recommend this course.

By Ann M D

Sep 02, 2019

Great introduction to project management! Videos were easy to follow - delivering real life examples of the challenges within project management! The best part was the tools to help you get the job done! Thank you! Thank you! Will be following up on the next course!

By Deborah L

May 08, 2018

It's a very good course, that focus on the essential in the videos and provide a lot of detailed and useful information in the material. The bonus videos bring additional insights that are relevant and which you would think as "I could use that" in real situations.

By Кумарбекова А Ж

Oct 19, 2020

Thank you, Dear Margaret Meloni, for this course. I was always afraid of starting to learn this course, because it seemed so difficult for me. But you made it as simple as possible for all of us. I believe that those acquired theories will help me in the practice.

By Indranil C

Aug 02, 2020

It's a very knowledgeable course and it is very beneficial if someone is interested to take the path as a leader and and a Project Manager. Although I don't have the PMBOK Guide, throughout the course everything has been explained in a neat and organized manner.

By Greta K

Nov 13, 2017

The form of knowledge stimulation is very well organised throughout this course. I am highly satisfied with the materials, as well as applications. What I highly value is the presence of real situations, which stimulate the implications of the given information.

By Yasith A

Apr 25, 2020

Content of the course is very clear and very well structured. I have started this to improve my skills under a different area where I'm not engaged in day to day business. This course gave me a very positive start and helped me to put the foundation strongly.

By Muhammad F A

Apr 18, 2020

Much obliged to you to Coursera for such an incredible stage to improve our abilities and education. The learning condition offered here is totally a learn at your own pace condition, making it adaptable to learn. Seriously this course. That was great for me.

By Alexander N B G

Oct 02, 2020

Muy bueno el curso. Los videos exponen de forma precisa y en corto tiempo los tópicos que se abordan en cada lección. También que las lecturas que entrega son dinámicas, manteniendo más la concentracion y los ejercicios ayudan a poner a prueba lo aprendido.

By Bayush P

Apr 15, 2020

Amazing course! It gives me the knowledge needed to operate in more professional manner and specially how to deal with the conflict which I had experience in the past. It's been really easy and straightforward follow the classes as well. Thank you very much

By Flora M

Jul 14, 2020

This course was very interesting. It helps me to evaluate my work and I gained skills about project initiation and planning.

I would like to say thank you to Coursera team, ICU team, RTN and Commonwealth organization.

It was a great journey to walk with you.

By Kellianne B

Succinct, to-the-point lectures and slides. Lots of detailed information on slides and in suggested readings. Good foundation to start thinking about project initiation and planning and will be beneficial when followed up by more application of knowledge.

By Kayla K

Mar 12, 2019

Great course! I am going over project management in a grad course now and had no true background in it. This course allowed me to go into that class with some understanding of the terminology being used and that helped me participate in group discussions.

By Ajay M

My field in Project Management & this course will be one more feather in my resume and has attained basic knowledge about this field. Its really knowledgeable and skilful. All topics have been defined very professionally. Its a great satisfaction level.

By XITLALLI D H M

Jul 31, 2020

This course allowed me to understand in a general way the principles of project management, critical points and how to start a project properly. It is very well detailed and at the same time it is concrete. Im I'm a beginner and for me it was perfect.

By Ibrahim L H

Jan 10, 2017

Great beginner's course that fills you in on all the essentials of initiating and planning projects. Once you have passed it, you are more than able to initiate and plan a wide range of small projects and get hands-on experience in project management.

By Gary D

Feb 16, 2017

Very well explained. Gave me an knowledge for tools and better understanding how to clearly communicate roles and responsibilities. Great course for someone that has children and work to give a chance to better there selves professionally. Thank you.

By Jennifer R

Nov 23, 2016

Great course and I like the lecture videos as it helped to humanize some of the material and make it easy to grasp and remember. There was a lot of great information with links to outside and external information to further your learning experience.

By Engr. H U R

Mar 02, 2017

Its the most practical oriented study programs, i ever have studies in my life. I would suggest, that if you really want to polish your skills. Come here and learn through these well-know universities, experienced instructors and interactive forums.

By alexandre C

Jun 22, 2016

Thanks to this cours, you will act more confidently in your business, you will use professionnal tools and knowledge. So you will bring security. This tool will change your life because you will do it your way but in a manner understood and shared.

By Omar A A

Feb 23, 2016

This is a good approach on learning the PMBOK guide, gives you the perfect insight on how to stud the guide. Explained everything in an easy manner with good exposure by using different live examples. Easy way to achieve the PDU's for the PMP exam.

By Mugdha P

Mar 13, 2019

concise and clear way of teaching. Best regards to the UCI team for putting up this amazing and esaily understandable version. Its easier to read the guide now for details which would ot have been possibe without the video lessons & bonus sessions

By Mihco B M

Apr 18, 2020

Really great job of explaining concepts in detail and their relevance. This gave me a great idea of what project managers do and whether or not this was something I wanted to pursue. Also includes tips and suggested readings related to PMP/PMBOK.

By Sagar D

Jan 24, 2018

Excellent course! The instructor is very knowledgeable and she exactly knew what she was teaching. I recommend students taking this course. The course has lot of helpful materials that will help you build a concrete Project Management foundation.