Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

P

Jan 29, 2020

Thank you to Coursera for such a great platform to improve our skills and literacy.The learning environment offered here is completely a learn at your own pace environment,making it flexible to learn.

BS

Jul 06, 2020

Excelent course! It gives you the principles of project management for the early phases, initianing and planning, it has very good dynamic and share examples, it's a good option if you're newbie in PM

176 - 200 of 3,099 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By César B V C

Aug 15, 2019

Ha sido muy útil lo aprendido.

He podido estructurar el desarrollo de los proyectos y dar un seguimiento que me ha ayudado a concretarlos. Cada Proyecto ha sido un reto diferente y ha dado frutos de manera positiva.

By LYNELLE T W Q

Jul 24, 2020

It is a great course to begin learning about project management and planning. The course structure was easy to follow and the powerpoint slides were particularly helpful in rehashing the points made in the videos.

By Gautam A K

Aug 05, 2019

Excellent course, well structured and presented. To get the total benefit of this course, I would recommend completing all courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization.

By KALP S

The course flow is extremely good and the way the expert delivers the course material and information is great. I do recommend this course for those who really want to grow in the field of the project management.

By Mouna L

Apr 19, 2020

The course is really amazing, including a lot of amazing informations to become a leader project manager. What I liked the most is the week 6 content including the sharing of expertise with some Project Managers.

By Thelma T G

Sep 18, 2017

This course is very interesting and the tutor Margaret Meloni is exceptional. She made it a great experience. It didn't even feel like i was taking a course and doing my job at the same time. I loved it. Thanks.

By Calla B

Apr 13, 2018

I get more basic knowledge for starting job as Project manager and have the deep understanding about these concepts, process, example or situations and solutions may be I will catch in my projects in the future.

By Aravind K

Mar 24, 2020

Although I took this course being a fairly experienced Project Manager, I learnt few new concepts. I suggest this course for a beginner Project Manager as it covers the real basics needed for a Project Manager

By Abidfaiz

Apr 21, 2018

I really enjoy this course, I know about the basics which help me in field,learnt tool and techniques which will be further helpful in related courses.I strongly recommended this course belonging from any field

Jan 11, 2018

Excellent overview and introduction to the material. Found it very supportive of the reading and gave me a much greater understanding of the subject matter. It was also presented in easily digestible pieces.

By Michael Y

Jul 04, 2016

Very well structured and well thought out course. The videos were insightful as they provided real advise that is relatable to many different career fields. I would recommend this course and program to others.

By Annie H

May 04, 2019

Provide you with the first basic overview of how a project works academically, information is clear and easy to understand, the suggestion on reading materials is helpful. thank you for uploading this course!

By Muhammad A Z

May 03, 2020

I loved the tutor's way of teaching. The way she engage the audience/students is amazing. Even though the audience is virtual but the method is very effective. Looking forward to learn more courses from her.

By Derek P

h

p

c

s

This course id very good. Its a great introduction for beginners and a refresher for practitioners. Highly recommend it to others

By Reza K

Mar 19, 2018

Fantastic course, taught with the principle that can easily be applied in real life scenarios and the ease of doing project management vibe I got from this course. Thank you Margaret and UCI for this course.

By Charles N

Apr 24, 2017

Very well put together and engaging for budding project managers. Providing the key to the PMBOK was very helpful as I begin to navigate the process toward PMP and project management in a large organization.

By Bishnu B A

Aug 24, 2020

the course is very simplified, which cover all the important requirements for initiating and managing the project successfully. i have learned a lot which helped me a lot to manage my section successfully.

By Prateekshya A

Jul 02, 2019

Amazing coursework and even better presentation skills ensured that I actually enjoyed learning the content. Will recommend to anyone who's interested in getting a grasp on the basics of Project Management.

By Renato A

Oct 08, 2017

Excellent. It shows in an understandable way the initiation and planning of projects, and the lessons integrate very nicely with the PMBOK. I love specially the way this course shows how to "read" the PMBOK

By Anastasia

Oct 18, 2016

Even though I have the basic knowledge about Project Management, this course helped me to learn it in more details. I got to know all the needed steps of project preparation, which is very important for me.

By HIMANSHU M

Mar 13, 2016

It was very interesting course and quite informative and detailed coupled with interesting approaches to situations and real life examples. I couldn't help but complete the course much before the deadlines.

By Carlos E S

Es bastante informacion, conceptos , los cuales con una preparacion como ingeniero y con experiencia en gerencia, es cuestion de identificar y darle nombre a los procesos. y aplicar mucho el sentido comun

By Zeeshan A

Nov 06, 2017

I have a lot to say but simply wanna pay thanks to this platform. It is great to have this kind of courses. Very well done everyone involved in order to launch this kind of stuff for the rest of the world.

By Hammad M U

Feb 19, 2017

I have actually been a lead in a project and have actually implemented most of these processes and they work but seeing them stated out will make me confident in future projects about the decisions I make.

By Riliwan D A

Apr 16, 2020

It is an insightful, educative and worth every minutes and resources invested on the learning. It is indeed an eye opener because it will optimally improve the level and manner in which i manage projects.