Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

MH

Jun 25, 2020

This course provides some practical situation which enriches my acknowledgment about being a responsible in any project and it also helps me to understand the planning process management proficiently!

SY

Aug 31, 2020

The course is a very great asset to any aspiring project manager. You get to understand the fundamentals and essentials in any given project and the means to ameliorate conflicts amongst stakeholders.

101 - 125 of 2,888 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Bayush P

Apr 15, 2020

Amazing course! It gives me the knowledge needed to operate in more professional manner and specially how to deal with the conflict which I had experience in the past. It's been really easy and straightforward follow the classes as well. Thank you very much

By Flora M

Jul 14, 2020

This course was very interesting. It helps me to evaluate my work and I gained skills about project initiation and planning.

I would like to say thank you to Coursera team, ICU team, RTN and Commonwealth organization.

It was a great journey to walk with you.

By Kellianne B

Succinct, to-the-point lectures and slides. Lots of detailed information on slides and in suggested readings. Good foundation to start thinking about project initiation and planning and will be beneficial when followed up by more application of knowledge.

By Kayla K

Mar 12, 2019

Great course! I am going over project management in a grad course now and had no true background in it. This course allowed me to go into that class with some understanding of the terminology being used and that helped me participate in group discussions.

By Ajay M

My field in Project Management & this course will be one more feather in my resume and has attained basic knowledge about this field. Its really knowledgeable and skilful. All topics have been defined very professionally. Its a great satisfaction level.

By XITLALLI D H M

Jul 31, 2020

This course allowed me to understand in a general way the principles of project management, critical points and how to start a project properly. It is very well detailed and at the same time it is concrete. Im I'm a beginner and for me it was perfect.

By Ibrahim L H

Jan 10, 2017

Great beginner's course that fills you in on all the essentials of initiating and planning projects. Once you have passed it, you are more than able to initiate and plan a wide range of small projects and get hands-on experience in project management.

By Gary D

Feb 16, 2017

Very well explained. Gave me an knowledge for tools and better understanding how to clearly communicate roles and responsibilities. Great course for someone that has children and work to give a chance to better there selves professionally. Thank you.

By Jennifer R

Nov 23, 2016

Great course and I like the lecture videos as it helped to humanize some of the material and make it easy to grasp and remember. There was a lot of great information with links to outside and external information to further your learning experience.

By Engr. H U R

Mar 02, 2017

Its the most practical oriented study programs, i ever have studies in my life. I would suggest, that if you really want to polish your skills. Come here and learn through these well-know universities, experienced instructors and interactive forums.

By alexandre C

Jun 22, 2016

Thanks to this cours, you will act more confidently in your business, you will use professionnal tools and knowledge. So you will bring security. This tool will change your life because you will do it your way but in a manner understood and shared.

By Omar A A

Feb 23, 2016

This is a good approach on learning the PMBOK guide, gives you the perfect insight on how to stud the guide. Explained everything in an easy manner with good exposure by using different live examples. Easy way to achieve the PDU's for the PMP exam.

By Mugdha P

Mar 13, 2019

concise and clear way of teaching. Best regards to the UCI team for putting up this amazing and esaily understandable version. Its easier to read the guide now for details which would ot have been possibe without the video lessons & bonus sessions

By Mihco B M

Apr 18, 2020

Really great job of explaining concepts in detail and their relevance. This gave me a great idea of what project managers do and whether or not this was something I wanted to pursue. Also includes tips and suggested readings related to PMP/PMBOK.

By Sagar D

Jan 24, 2018

Excellent course! The instructor is very knowledgeable and she exactly knew what she was teaching. I recommend students taking this course. The course has lot of helpful materials that will help you build a concrete Project Management foundation.

By Senia K

Oct 10, 2016

Very good course for a beginner. I feel like I have a much better understanding of the role of a Project manager and a great overview of the phases and steps in the project management process. I am now ready to dig deeper into this information.

By JOANNA M

Feb 28, 2020

Excellent course. Great professor. I especially loved the interview with the panelists. I loved the bonus videos because they were about personal experiences in project management, such as conflict between the project stakeholders. Great course.

By Buddhabrata C

May 08, 2018

I found a lot of the topics covered in this course helpful for Project Managers. Going forward I would like to see more case-studies involved. But to summarize, I would certainly recommend this course to professionals new to Project Management.

By Timothy C

Jul 16, 2017

Great overview of the core initial basic principles of project management. Helpful in enabling decision making, to pursue project management in more depth; as well as providing useful concepts, techniques and methodologies to apply immediately.

By Ian G

Dec 18, 2016

Very good instruction and I really liked that I can start and stop everything on my schedule. Also it helps when you miss something and you can just restart or go back to it. I also liked the discussion at the end with the Project Managers.

By Samiul H C

May 23, 2020

The course was really initiative and it helped me in recolecting a lot of techniques and terms from my Business school. Hope there are more simillar courses that can improve your skills for carrer building and a lot more insights on reality.

By Michelle M

Aug 01, 2017

Great coverage of the early phases of a project. I'd like to see the content reference PMBOK for newbies, but this course does a nice job of developing awareness and understanding of the Initiating & Planning Phases of the Project ifecycle.

By Noor M M

I have really enjoyed this course and learnt a lot from worthy instructor and grasp adequate knowledge to initiate project as well as planning process. The Panelists videos are amazing to get knowledge from the experienced project managers.

By Jopaul P V

May 12, 2020

Its a great platform to study , to learn many new subjects , many new topics which is very useful for the Professional Career

I Thank all the team members who provides such a useful and Grateful platform for all Professionals and Students.

By LIYANA A I G F S

Feb 11, 2020

Excellent and thank you very much. really appreciate everyone for working hard and your time and attention.

Education is for everybody and your organization has gone an extra mile to help everyone with the knowledge to make this world grate.