Back to Introduction to Public Speaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Public Speaking by University of Washington

This course gives you a reliable model for preparing and delivering effective presentations. In business, in school, and in public life, we are often called upon to “make a few comments.” Often, people tasked with such speeches become flummoxed. They might not know what to talk about, or ramble without making a point, or simply be confusing to listen to. This course is designed to help you shine where others falter. We’ll learn how organize talks clearly, write them memorably, and deliver them confidently. By the end of the course, you should be able to significantly reduce your fear of public speaking, use rehearsal techniques to develop a strong, vibrant speaking voice, and perform speeches with dynamic movement and gestures. The speech model that we’ll practice is useful for briefings, elevator talks, interviews, and even as a structure for hour-long presentations. If you’re a beginner, this course will help you quickly master the fundamentals of speaking. If you’re a seasoned speaker, this course will help you better understand public speaking and push you to the next level....

E
Feb 27, 2017

This course is great. You simply learn a lot in an easy way. The teacher is really good and knows how to teach and engage you in the lessons. I am looking forward to next courses in the specialization

AJ
Jun 5, 2020

Excellent course for who are starting to speak in public or who are already a public speaker, no matter you join this course to get more tools & ideas to make your speech interesting to the audience.

476 - 500 of 531 Reviews for Introduction to Public Speaking

By Md. M U

Apr 28, 2020

good

By NGUYEN T L

Nov 23, 2019

good

By 陶思睿

Sep 13, 2018

L

By Mariem B

Oct 17, 2017

Hello professor Matt,

I've reviewed the course never really expecting a reply. so your comment really surprised me.

thank you so much for sharing your course online and for all the explanations you've been providing.

I really enjoy it a lot !

I feel that most of the reviews I've gotten weren't really helpful in targetting the problems or the points I need to work on.( just like my review on the course I have realised it following your reply ) . They are mostly just too vague. an example of this is someone rating a 3-4 and just saying you did a good job or evreything is ok. then I can't figure out really what they meant.

another thing that bothred me was someone saying you need to work more on tone. I just wish i could talk to the person a bit more and understand what they mean because i ve watched the video again and again and I can't pinpoint if my tone was too monotoneous or was it because of my high pitched voice ( i m sorry i didn't know how to reply to your comment)

By Maris D

Jan 4, 2017

Great content delivered in a manner that is easy to understand and also is useful for non-native English speaker and applicable to at least some of the European languages.

What could be improved is adding slides to each of the lectures. Also content wise it felt a bit small, both lectures and assignments required very limited time per week (probably around 2h/wk).

By Takis K

Jan 7, 2017

Very helpful and inspiring course. Dr. McGarrity with a great sense of humor give all the support needed to get over your fears, to stand up in front of a lens, and to deliver a self-confidence speech. But more important, he gives a great example and guideline on how to prepare it. Highly recommended MOOC.

By Leopoldo P

Oct 19, 2020

It's a very good course and professionally designed. Too bad that there is no selection of candidates halfway through...some students can grade us (even very low without explaining why) and show little dedication overall in completing their tasks this undermining the image/reputation of online learning

By Michał B

Dec 23, 2019

The content is great and very useful. Videos are highly well prepared and organisation of the materials is top notch.

The grading process is flawed, because we're getting grades from random people and unfortunately many of them don't put much effort into it or leave senseless feedback.

By Santosh S

Jul 30, 2017

Very good course for beginners in Public speaking, particularly focusing on key-point or impromptu speech. I enjoyed the structure, course, assignments everything. I attend toastmasters, so this worked as a complementary or refresher to what I am practicing at Toastmasters. Thanks.

By Andrey

Dec 14, 2017

Overal good course for beginners. Also, if you even have a huge experience in public speaking it will help you to structure what you do well and what can be improved.

However, the delivery could have been better. Too many weird examples.

By Mohammad A R

Great course. I have learned so many things that will help me in future. I warmly thanks to our instructor. Indeed, i would strongly recommend the course for those who are very passionate about their career as a public speaker.

By Divya a

Sep 24, 2020

the public speaking concepts are very much clarified through this course, the speaker was able to explain each point clearly and concisely, and it turned out to be a very helpful and meaningful session.

By Sachin Y

May 19, 2017

I have a great fear of Public Speaking. After taking this course, I came to know various ways and methods of getting over them. Thanks to the team for creating such a wonderful course.

By Eric Z

Dec 22, 2020

This was great as this is an alternative to people who don't have access to a public speaking course at their school or just not at that point yet.

By Chananart V

Sep 13, 2019

Content is great. just on the peer-review session that sometimes have varied comments.

It's be great if there is at least a TA to help grading too.

By Mansi G

May 14, 2017

Taught simple and effectively. I enjoyed making the speech videos and highly recommend it to all who are trying to improve their public speaking.

By Janice R

Mar 29, 2021

This course gave me the a refresher in public speaking. I enjoyed the course. The video making was a little challenged but it all worked out.

By Rakesh k

Jun 26, 2020

Yes, introduction to public speaking is just the tip of iceberg, go further in other courses in this type to build your portfolio

By Rosemary N

Feb 6, 2021

Course is good. Improvement could be made with peer-graded assignments. Some students may not be as serous as needed.

By Lorenzo I

May 7, 2021

Very interesting course, allowed me to compare my preparation with people coming from diffeernt part of the world.

By Probin T

Jul 11, 2019

This course is very useful and helpful for the students, professionals and teachers as well! I love this course!