Back to Introduction to Public Speaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Public Speaking by University of Washington

This course gives you a reliable model for preparing and delivering effective presentations. In business, in school, and in public life, we are often called upon to “make a few comments.” Often, people tasked with such speeches become flummoxed. They might not know what to talk about, or ramble without making a point, or simply be confusing to listen to. This course is designed to help you shine where others falter. We’ll learn how organize talks clearly, write them memorably, and deliver them confidently. By the end of the course, you should be able to significantly reduce your fear of public speaking, use rehearsal techniques to develop a strong, vibrant speaking voice, and perform speeches with dynamic movement and gestures. The speech model that we’ll practice is useful for briefings, elevator talks, interviews, and even as a structure for hour-long presentations. If you’re a beginner, this course will help you quickly master the fundamentals of speaking. If you’re a seasoned speaker, this course will help you better understand public speaking and push you to the next level....

E
Feb 27, 2017

This course is great. You simply learn a lot in an easy way. The teacher is really good and knows how to teach and engage you in the lessons. I am looking forward to next courses in the specialization

AJ
Jun 5, 2020

Excellent course for who are starting to speak in public or who are already a public speaker, no matter you join this course to get more tools & ideas to make your speech interesting to the audience.

101 - 125 of 561 Reviews for Introduction to Public Speaking

By César D

Nov 16, 2020

This course helped me a lot to improve my speech skills. The course was very dynamic and interesting, offering a lot of tips about how to structure a good speech step by step and always explained in an easy way. Highly recommended.

By Mohammed H M M A

Sep 28, 2020

I really found this course useful and was able to apply it to my current work presentation .i enjoyed Dr Matt McGarrity explained every aspect of this course so articulately and made learning a pleasure. thank you Dr Matt McGarrity

By Vinod P

Dec 6, 2018

Taken many courses on presentation skills before. Nothing comes close to this. This course covers the fundamentals thoroughly. I love the course materials. Specifically, the section on speech apprehension and the recommendations .

By Ryan M

Dec 16, 2017

Does a great job laying the groundwork on the principles of preparing for a speech. I really enjoyed the background material on argument, rhetoric, and found the breakdown of a key point speech to be extremely helpful. Well done.

By Ioana I

Dec 27, 2016

I loved the course. The information was very practical, with lots of useful examples. The classes were dynamic and the assignments very well chosen. I really feel that I made a progress. I look forward for the other 3 modules.

By Kristina C

Matt McGarrity presents great information in short, dynamic chunks. The content of this course is tightly crafted and useful on its own, but you also learn by watching Matt deliver material using the principles he's teaching.

By Damawa J

Nov 23, 2020

Great course! Within such a short period of time I was able to gather key ideas such as using gestures to highlight ones points, I learnt to conclude every main point made, how to overcome apprehension and the list goes on.

By Ravana M

Sep 2, 2020

From what we’ve gotten out of this course, It’s not only improved our public speaking at public events and conferences, but it’s made our interpersonal interactions and internal presentations more compelling and engaging.

By Tracie H

Aug 12, 2021

I thought this course provided great examples and information on how to effectively create a speech for any type of speech required. Thank you to the Professor and my class. I truly appreciated everything I've learned.

By Keuntae K

Feb 23, 2018

This course is highly recommended for those who want to improve their speaking skill. Well organized and very easy to follow. Also, speaking analysis and practices are very good and helps me improve my speaking skills.

By Rahul J

Dec 25, 2016

Totally Awesome! The best part is reviewing peers and being reviewed. Lots to learn just by evaluating speeches from all around the world. Keep it up Matt Sir. Looking forward to the other 3 courses of Public Speaking.

By Heinz H

Oct 1, 2019

I like the concept and the authentic way how the lecturer is talking very much. It is very authentic and show me how a good speech should look like. I have just glanced over the course so far, but I want to finish it.

By Laura R

Sep 27, 2019

Course built pedagogically. Not only have I seen improvement on an academic and professional level, but it has also been a progress in my interpersonal relationships. Bottom line: I can communicate better with others.

By Maria K

Jun 7, 2020

I enjoyed the course, there is a lot of valuable material presented in a very student-friendly and even entertaining way. Matt is a great teacher and a good illustration of what it means to be an excellent speaker.

By Sanjay S D

Jul 14, 2019

I have learned a lot from this course. The lecturer was very helpful and determined to make us all a good public speaker. Will most definitely put this course into practice for the rest of my career. Great course.

By Manal M

Apr 26, 2021

I think this course was quite enlightening as I learnt a lot of things that I'm sure will help me in the future on concerning public speaking and I would say that it was quite an effective way of learning for me.

By Nikola

Sep 16, 2018

Very nice structure and well explained! I really like, that everything you did was with some idea behind it, really shows that you put a lot of effort in this course! I can't say how much i like this course haha.

By Gabriela I V V

Nov 2, 2020

Great instructor great material, and great assignments! :) It would be great to recieve comments from our teacher directly on the assignments but I understand it would be really hard. I recommend this course :)

By sidi b l m n

Sep 15, 2018

as an student this course of public speaking was very helpful for me, then through clear presentations and the professor ability to explain to the audience I once again have highly benefited from this course.

By Yasmina N

Nov 22, 2020

I loved this course, and the instructor was excellent! He is very knowledgeable, and he is highly skilled at sending information in an easy, fun and an informative way! I Five stars for the Prof. McGarrity.

By Carolina F T R

Sep 30, 2020

adorei o professor, e as atividades. foi muito legal ver gente do mundo inteiro aprendendo e tentando também colocar os ensinamentos em prática! parabéns pelo conteúdo e pelas aulas. recomendo para todos :)

By Nirupama R

Jul 7, 2019

The basics of public speaking was taught really well. Learned the procedure of speech formation and delivery. I would definitely recommend this course for anyone looking for a head start to public speaking.

By Emerson F C

Nov 16, 2020

I really liked this course because before I have done it I used to be that guy who is very shy but not anymore, now I know how to apply all the things that I've learned in this course to my daily life :D

By Muhammad F S

Nov 26, 2016

Excellent, I must say!

The instructor and content both are very helpful in not only developing the skills but also in countering the fear of public speaking.

I would strongly recommend this course.

By Lívia d O O

Nov 5, 2020

It's a very good course! The teacher has a good teaching skills, also a good oratory (laughs), which allows us to take the course in a light way, but without failing to learn a lot. I recommend!