Back to Introduction to Public Speaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Public Speaking by University of Washington

This course gives you a reliable model for preparing and delivering effective presentations. In business, in school, and in public life, we are often called upon to “make a few comments.” Often, people tasked with such speeches become flummoxed. They might not know what to talk about, or ramble without making a point, or simply be confusing to listen to. This course is designed to help you shine where others falter. We’ll learn how organize talks clearly, write them memorably, and deliver them confidently. By the end of the course, you should be able to significantly reduce your fear of public speaking, use rehearsal techniques to develop a strong, vibrant speaking voice, and perform speeches with dynamic movement and gestures. The speech model that we’ll practice is useful for briefings, elevator talks, interviews, and even as a structure for hour-long presentations. If you’re a beginner, this course will help you quickly master the fundamentals of speaking. If you’re a seasoned speaker, this course will help you better understand public speaking and push you to the next level....

E
Feb 27, 2017

This course is great. You simply learn a lot in an easy way. The teacher is really good and knows how to teach and engage you in the lessons. I am looking forward to next courses in the specialization

AJ
Jun 5, 2020

Excellent course for who are starting to speak in public or who are already a public speaker, no matter you join this course to get more tools & ideas to make your speech interesting to the audience.

101 - 125 of 524 Reviews for Introduction to Public Speaking

By Damawa J

Nov 23, 2020

Great course! Within such a short period of time I was able to gather key ideas such as using gestures to highlight ones points, I learnt to conclude every main point made, how to overcome apprehension and the list goes on.

By Ravana M

Sep 2, 2020

From what we’ve gotten out of this course, It’s not only improved our public speaking at public events and conferences, but it’s made our interpersonal interactions and internal presentations more compelling and engaging.

By Keuntae K

Feb 23, 2018

This course is highly recommended for those who want to improve their speaking skill. Well organized and very easy to follow. Also, speaking analysis and practices are very good and helps me improve my speaking skills.

By Rahul J

Dec 25, 2016

Totally Awesome! The best part is reviewing peers and being reviewed. Lots to learn just by evaluating speeches from all around the world. Keep it up Matt Sir. Looking forward to the other 3 courses of Public Speaking.

By Heinz H

Oct 1, 2019

I like the concept and the authentic way how the lecturer is talking very much. It is very authentic and show me how a good speech should look like. I have just glanced over the course so far, but I want to finish it.

By Laura R

Sep 27, 2019

Course built pedagogically. Not only have I seen improvement on an academic and professional level, but it has also been a progress in my interpersonal relationships. Bottom line: I can communicate better with others.

By Maria K

Jun 7, 2020

I enjoyed the course, there is a lot of valuable material presented in a very student-friendly and even entertaining way. Matt is a great teacher and a good illustration of what it means to be an excellent speaker.

By Sanjay S D

Jul 14, 2019

I have learned a lot from this course. The lecturer was very helpful and determined to make us all a good public speaker. Will most definitely put this course into practice for the rest of my career. Great course.

By Nikola

Sep 16, 2018

Very nice structure and well explained! I really like, that everything you did was with some idea behind it, really shows that you put a lot of effort in this course! I can't say how much i like this course haha.

By Gabriela I V V

Nov 2, 2020

Great instructor great material, and great assignments! :) It would be great to recieve comments from our teacher directly on the assignments but I understand it would be really hard. I recommend this course :)

By sidi b l m n

Sep 15, 2018

as an student this course of public speaking was very helpful for me, then through clear presentations and the professor ability to explain to the audience I once again have highly benefited from this course.

By Yasmina N

Nov 22, 2020

I loved this course, and the instructor was excellent! He is very knowledgeable, and he is highly skilled at sending information in an easy, fun and an informative way! I Five stars for the Prof. McGarrity.

By Carolina F T R

Sep 30, 2020

adorei o professor, e as atividades. foi muito legal ver gente do mundo inteiro aprendendo e tentando também colocar os ensinamentos em prática! parabéns pelo conteúdo e pelas aulas. recomendo para todos :)

By Nirupama R

Jul 7, 2019

The basics of public speaking was taught really well. Learned the procedure of speech formation and delivery. I would definitely recommend this course for anyone looking for a head start to public speaking.

By Emerson F C

Nov 16, 2020

I really liked this course because before I have done it I used to be that guy who is very shy but not anymore, now I know how to apply all the things that I've learned in this course to my daily life :D

By Muhammad F S

Nov 26, 2016

Excellent, I must say!

The instructor and content both are very helpful in not only developing the skills but also in countering the fear of public speaking.

I would strongly recommend this course.

By Lívia d O O

Nov 5, 2020

It's a very good course! The teacher has a good teaching skills, also a good oratory (laughs), which allows us to take the course in a light way, but without failing to learn a lot. I recommend!

By Camilo E A G

Sep 8, 2020

Excellent teacher, the way he explains every topic makes easy to understand all the course. The quizzes are challenging and help to reinforce the lessons. I learned a lot, thank you very much.

By Tharun G

May 23, 2018

A really good course. If you want to brush up on your public speaking skills, I highly suggest that you take this. I felt that Dr. McGarrity was an amazing teacher, and you will feel the same.

By Olusayo A

Aug 17, 2020

This is such a great course! I had so much fun taking this course and gained significant skills as well. If you have public speaking apprehension like me, this is your go to course, trust me.

By Roberto C

Apr 14, 2021

Great introductory course which pushes you to actually practice what you learn. The lectures are interesting and well structured, the assignments require an effort but are not overwhelming.

By MO M

Oct 7, 2020

This course is excellent for the guys out there who want to improve their public speaking skills. As the techniques taught in the course are extraordinary and designed very perfectly.

By Dr S K

Jun 15, 2020

An excellent course to understand the nuances of public speaking. Crisp explanation and useful tips to overcome apprehensions of public speaking to inch closer towards a good orator.

By María L B M

Mar 6, 2020

Fantastic course. I learned a lot about how to speak publicly, tips how to sound fluent, how to move properly, how to make a proper arrangement. Undoubtedly, it's a very good course.

By henrietta o

Feb 25, 2021

This was a very good start to become a good public speaker, it has helped me reduce my stage fright and helped my presentation skills, as well as packaging of good work proposals.