Back to Introduction to Public Speaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Public Speaking by University of Washington

This course gives you a reliable model for preparing and delivering effective presentations. In business, in school, and in public life, we are often called upon to “make a few comments.” Often, people tasked with such speeches become flummoxed. They might not know what to talk about, or ramble without making a point, or simply be confusing to listen to. This course is designed to help you shine where others falter. We’ll learn how organize talks clearly, write them memorably, and deliver them confidently. By the end of the course, you should be able to significantly reduce your fear of public speaking, use rehearsal techniques to develop a strong, vibrant speaking voice, and perform speeches with dynamic movement and gestures. The speech model that we’ll practice is useful for briefings, elevator talks, interviews, and even as a structure for hour-long presentations. If you’re a beginner, this course will help you quickly master the fundamentals of speaking. If you’re a seasoned speaker, this course will help you better understand public speaking and push you to the next level....

AJ
Jun 5, 2020

Excellent course for who are starting to speak in public or who are already a public speaker, no matter you join this course to get more tools & ideas to make your speech interesting to the audience.

MS
Jul 15, 2020

This is indeed a very good course for a beginner since it discusses all the ways of preparing and delivering a proper speech with necessary theoretical as well as practical classes and assignments.

101 - 125 of 455 Reviews for Introduction to Public Speaking

By Emerson F C

Nov 16, 2020

I really liked this course because before I have done it I used to be that guy who is very shy but not anymore, now I know how to apply all the things that I've learned in this course to my daily life :D

By Muhammad F S

Nov 26, 2016

Excellent, I must say!

The instructor and content both are very helpful in not only developing the skills but also in countering the fear of public speaking.

I would strongly recommend this course.

By Lívia d O O

Nov 5, 2020

It's a very good course! The teacher has a good teaching skills, also a good oratory (laughs), which allows us to take the course in a light way, but without failing to learn a lot. I recommend!

By Camilo E A G

Sep 8, 2020

Excellent teacher, the way he explains every topic makes easy to understand all the course. The quizzes are challenging and help to reinforce the lessons. I learned a lot, thank you very much.

By Tharun G

May 23, 2018

A really good course. If you want to brush up on your public speaking skills, I highly suggest that you take this. I felt that Dr. McGarrity was an amazing teacher, and you will feel the same.

By Olusayo A

Aug 17, 2020

This is such a great course! I had so much fun taking this course and gained significant skills as well. If you have public speaking apprehension like me, this is your go to course, trust me.

By MO M

Oct 7, 2020

This course is excellent for the guys out there who want to improve their public speaking skills. As the techniques taught in the course are extraordinary and designed very perfectly.

By Dr S K

Jun 15, 2020

An excellent course to understand the nuances of public speaking. Crisp explanation and useful tips to overcome apprehensions of public speaking to inch closer towards a good orator.

By María L B M

Mar 6, 2020

Fantastic course. I learned a lot about how to speak publicly, tips how to sound fluent, how to move properly, how to make a proper arrangement. Undoubtedly, it's a very good course.

By HILARY H

Aug 6, 2020

Thank you Dr Matt for great course indeed. I enjoy it very much. In fact, there so much information and tips that we can get to become a good speaker. Once again, Thanks Dr Matt.

By Nidhi G

Nov 23, 2020

It was a great course as it provides a big platform where people from all over the world join us. Here we learn not only speaking but also listening as both plays a major roles

By Mukesh J

Aug 18, 2020

Cheers to Matt for putting the course in such a simple & understandable way. The course touched upon the basics of the game called Public Speaking. You are too good Prof !!!

By Ashok J

Jul 28, 2020

I was a very shy person.i also carried to public speaking, after taking the course I am confident now about my speaking ability the speaking assignment really help me a lot.

By ABHIK M

Sep 16, 2020

I have learned lots of things from this course. As an engineering student, I believe that this course will help me lots in the upcoming future.

Thank u very much, Coursera.

By jagriti r

May 16, 2019

I found this course very helpful. I am learning new things almost everyday about which earlier I was unknown. I hope this platform will help other needy students like me.

By Sikiru A S

Aug 22, 2017

This course have really taught me on how to write a good presentation on any topic and also how to present effectively and minimize the fear of crowd. Highly recommended!

By Mauricio S P Z

Oct 10, 2019

I really loved how well this course is made, and I would recommend it to people who want to know the basic concepts of public speaking. Here is a great place to start!

By Felix C

May 23, 2020

I highly recommend this course to anyone. This course has helped me, create the security I need, to communicate and explore areas, that I did not think were possible.

By Arinze U

May 29, 2017

Quality course. There is not anything earth-shattering in this course, but it will provide you the fundamentals to craft a quality speech for just about any occasion.

By Veronica V

Mar 2, 2018

Excellent course, designed to teach the fundamentals of public speaking. This course provides tools and concepts that are useful since day one! Totally recommend it!

By Cory M

Dec 2, 2019

Thus far everything has been very clear and easy to follow. I am enjoying the course and hope to have a better grasp on the course in its entirety upon completion .

By Rodrigo J E S

Jun 10, 2020

This course is so good and useful, I will remember what I've learned all my life. It's not like is the best thing ever, but I serious about it being helpful to me.

May 24, 2018

Really useful course - builds one's confidence and ability, and offers useful working strategies for difficult situations encountered in public speaking contexts

By Sakshi

Jul 24, 2020

I had a wonderful experience doing this course. It taught me how to express ideas effectively. The mentor is great. Thank you for such a brilliant opportunity!

By Y V S C

May 4, 2020

Very informational topic. I'm glad that I've come across this topic while scrolling.Special thanks to University of Washington and Prof. Matt McGarrity.Cheers.