Back to Python for Data Science, AI & Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Data Science, AI & Development by IBM

Kickstart your learning of Python for data science, as well as programming in general, with this beginner-friendly introduction to Python. Python is one of the world’s most popular programming languages, and there has never been greater demand for professionals with the ability to apply Python fundamentals to drive business solutions across industries. This course will take you from zero to programming in Python in a matter of hours—no prior programming experience necessary! You will learn Python fundamentals, including data structures and data analysis, complete hands-on exercises throughout the course modules, and create a final project to demonstrate your new skills. By the end of this course, you’ll feel comfortable creating basic programs, working with data, and solving real-world problems in Python. You’ll gain a strong foundation for more advanced learning in the field, and develop skills to help advance your career. This course can be applied to multiple Specialization or Professional Certificate programs. Completing this course will count towards your learning in any of the following programs: IBM Applied AI Professional Certificate Applied Data Science Specialization IBM Data Science Professional Certificate Upon completion of any of the above programs, in addition to earning a Specialization completion certificate from Coursera, you’ll also receive a digital badge from IBM recognizing your expertise in the field....

HM
Nov 17, 2019

it becomes easier wand clearer when one gets to complete the assignments as to how to utilize what has been learned. Practical work is a great way to learn, which was a fundamental part of the course.

MA
May 16, 2020

The syllabus of the course takes you in a roller-coaster ride.\n\nFrom basic level to advance level and you won't feel any trouble nor hesitate a bit.\n\nIt's easy, it's vast, and it's really usefull.

201 - 225 of 4,129 Reviews for Python for Data Science, AI & Development

By Thierry C

Mar 3, 2021

Let's be honest, no one without any experience of programming is going to be an expert by the end of this course. I have learned a lot, yes, but I am far to be a Python programmer even less specialized in Data Science at the end of this. The lessons are very basics with a consistent frustrating exercise at the end of each and every lesson: for some reason, the author assumes that you already know how to program with Python, so the exercise is about something which never ever was even mentioned during the lesson. Some lab exercises are largely outdated as mentioned in one of them: "This lab describes the current version of Language Translator, 2018-05-01" in March 2021... Now, the final assignment was actually the most interesting part of the whole course as data science was actually involved with interesting data even though there was still that frustrating question about something never spoken during the course: finding a value greater than the other in a column.

By Divya G

Oct 11, 2021

This was the most disappointing of all the courses I've taken on Coursera so far. The learning curve has not been well-defined, it's riddled with errors and forum posts are met with standard replies (if at all) without ever correcting any errors or updating the course material.

Forum posts dating back to months ago can be found with the same errors that still exist today.

Rarely do the people replying to our complaints ever admit to the errors and in some cases, posts go unnoticed for over two weeks.

Thankfully, this wasn't my first exposure to Python. I shudder to think what someone who isn't well-versed with debugging or online documentation would go through.

I'm sorry I've had to use such harsh criticism to make my voice heard, but please, fix this course.

No doubt your burden is a heavy one and you do a great job in many ways, but this one just fell short.

By Anthony V

Dec 28, 2018

In my opinion, this course goes all over the place. The video lessons are thrown at you too fast, it's hard to grasp anything really, It's not well structured at all..

I was fortunate enough to have some basic Python knowledge before this, so I could get a thing or two.

The final assignment should be greatly rethought, even scrapped for something that actually lets people put their lessons to good use. The last two weeks are spent on methods and some basic data analysis functions, which is good and all of a sudden we are tasked with making faks album covers...

A good improvement would be to create an assignment which lets people practice a lot of things shown in the course, not copy pasting some code and rewriting a function...

By Deanna B

Apr 21, 2021

Disappointed. I started off enjoying this course and was taking the time to fully understand all the concepts of Python. By the second week, JupyterLab was not working and for 3 days I was trying to connect to it, to do my labs. Although I was continuing on the course work, not being able to do the labs was keeping me behind. Others in the discussion forum were concerned about the same issue but I do feel at this stage that someone should be able to notify the group of these issues instead of people wasting time trying to log onto something that has a technical problem. I eventually unsubscribed from my certification as this was not an efficient way for me to study, and was using up too much wasted time!

By Vasily A

Dec 24, 2019

The course is a brief whizz through Python and could be good on its own as a refresher for those who already know the basics of Python, however it is the final assessment that spoils the course - this assessment was probably written by different people who did not see the course itself. It does not test your Python skills, but rather your ability to set up IBM Watson Studio and IBM Cloud Object Storage, which is a pretty fiddly service for the uninitiated. Did I learn anything useful from this assessment? Probably not. There are far better Python courses out there, e.g. check out the one from the Higher School of Economics.

By Joanne C

Feb 17, 2021

Though I do feel like I learned some things from this course, I was not very happy with the way the material was presented. The first half of the labs were great, but the second half was way beyond what was being taught in this course and difficult to follow. I ended up skipping those sections and still did well on the quizzes. I think those portions need to be removed. There were also a few quizzes with answer errors. It took several times of answering the same thing for it to accept it as the correct answer. If I had it to do over again, I would learn Python somewhere else.

By Shaked E

Jan 9, 2022

the course was extremely fast paced and skipped over a lot of basics. It felt like there was a lot of information thrown at you and not a lot of practice or review for it to settle in your brain. I typically enjoy fast- paced courses and have a little background when it comes to programing, but I still could not figure out a lot of what was going on. Also, in most of the classes we got an explanation of how to use the basics but then were faced with a code that parts of it were not explained, and therefore we could never do all that we were taught by ourselves.

By Taz P

Sep 18, 2018

Maybe it's a good introductory course for Python, however, I got an impression that the authors gave up three quarters into the course. The labs become more of a reading material rather than a place where you can practice a hands-on approach. The final assessment - omg, I fail to see any relevance between the course material and what is expected in the final assignment! The only lesson I have learnt from it is that I shouldn't trust online courses to learn a subject.

I would not recommend this course to other people.

By Emma M

May 29, 2021

This is described as a beginner's course in Python. In the labs, the examples you are given are basic and easy-to-follow examples that DO make sense. However, then, in the activities, they give you wildly more difficult tasks are nearly impossible to create on your own without looking at the solution while writing the activity's code.

If you would like to have a basic course on Python that will actually train you on how to use it and be more of a staggering difficultly level, I would recommend NOT taking this course.

By Alessio B

Nov 10, 2020

The Coursera's curse hits again. I can't recall an entire specialization in which, at some point, I didn't feel completely lost. In this instance it took 4 courses. I don't know what happened in the 4th week but personally I would have spread the content into 2-3 more weeks, with way more practical exercises and examples.

The final project more or less comes out of nowhere, there is definetely not enough material to face the 4th question (unless you had previous experience with Python).

By Elizabeth S

Nov 30, 2020

This course is a good base, but is really in need of an overhaul. The fundamental pieces are there, but the material is riddled with typos, expectations of reading tutorials that don't exist anymore, and incomplete instructions that leave you in the dark. I wish they would not skip over concepts as they are introduced, but instead give even a short blurb about what it is so that we get used to seeing the more complicated code that is "skipped over".

By Filip C

Aug 8, 2020

I'll start with saying that whoever designed this course knows nothing about how to educate people. Have you tried going though it? The video lectures are read by a voice that sounds like a robot. Also, majority of things taught here have zero context on how we can use them to solve actual data problems. The final exam is a joke, not because the course is good, but because it's objectively speaking easy. Overall, an educational disaster.

By Kate P

Dec 5, 2021

Are there other training videos or literature on Python? The videos are very hard to follow and the narrator speaks too quickly especially for a novice. The videos are badly edited and this make the learning experience even harder.

More working examples to keep practising would be more helpful. The Labs are also unreliable and are often inaccessible. I am disappointed so far.

By Amr M A E

Dec 5, 2020

The first three corses in this professional certificate were very good and was taking me step by step. But in this course, everything is just running and jumping steps. The videos, quizzes, and the first part of labs are in a level, and the final assesment in the end of each lab is in a whole other level especiall in week 3 and 4.

By Stephen P

Feb 16, 2021

I guess this course is currently being updated and transitioned to a new course, but the labs include material that is never covered in the videos, there is a steep increase in difficulty, and the course is NOT a "beginner-friendly, no experience required" introduction to Python as advertised. This course needs a major overhaul.

By Daniel S

Dec 4, 2018

It has some errors between the narrator and what's shown on the course.

I had to rewatch the videos a few times to understand that what was being shown wasn't the same thing the narrator was explaining.

Also, the submission of the assignment wasn't working and nobody from Coursera would step in to answer/fix the issue.

By DANG D D

Apr 22, 2021

I was stuck in Week 4 and 5 as the exercises are far different from what I (and I believe other students as well) have been taught from the videos and labs. I do think you need to restructure the course to be easily understandable for all of students.

By Sreeja D

Dec 2, 2020

Not a beginner's course. Because I learnt some python I understood the concepts which I know but "objects and classes" concepts are not at all clear. I wanted IBM to improve and make it beginner's course.

By Omar G

Jan 11, 2019

The course content is good while the final assignment is not related to the content or even the labs and it will be quite difficult for practitioners with non-technical background

By Tiago D C

Mar 10, 2019

I was expecting more about Data Science, as mostly was a quick introduction to Python. It took one afternoon to do 5 "weeks" of work. Perhaps too easy to be connected with IBM.

By Lauren C

x

k

By Nicholas F

Nov 24, 2020

My goodness this was wrought with errors. There were a lot of incomplete concepts and poor examples.

By Omar O

Apr 3, 2021

It is not suitable for enrolled students with minimal knowledge on programming and Python

By Coraline J Z

Dec 19, 2021

Too difficult and too fast. Impossible to do the lab work by just listen/ read it.

By Bernhard M

Mar 21, 2019

Failures in grammar, logic and wording.