Back to Python for Data Science, AI & Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Data Science, AI & Development by IBM

Kickstart your learning of Python for data science, as well as programming in general, with this beginner-friendly introduction to Python. Python is one of the world’s most popular programming languages, and there has never been greater demand for professionals with the ability to apply Python fundamentals to drive business solutions across industries. This course will take you from zero to programming in Python in a matter of hours—no prior programming experience necessary! You will learn Python fundamentals, including data structures and data analysis, complete hands-on exercises throughout the course modules, and create a final project to demonstrate your new skills. By the end of this course, you’ll feel comfortable creating basic programs, working with data, and solving real-world problems in Python. You’ll gain a strong foundation for more advanced learning in the field, and develop skills to help advance your career. This course can be applied to multiple Specialization or Professional Certificate programs. Completing this course will count towards your learning in any of the following programs: IBM Applied AI Professional Certificate Applied Data Science Specialization IBM Data Science Professional Certificate Upon completion of any of the above programs, in addition to earning a Specialization completion certificate from Coursera, you’ll also receive a digital badge from IBM recognizing your expertise in the field....

MA
May 16, 2020

The syllabus of the course takes you in a roller-coaster ride.\n\nFrom basic level to advance level and you won't feel any trouble nor hesitate a bit.\n\nIt's easy, it's vast, and it's really usefull.

HM
Nov 17, 2019

it becomes easier wand clearer when one gets to complete the assignments as to how to utilize what has been learned. Practical work is a great way to learn, which was a fundamental part of the course.

226 - 250 of 4,103 Reviews for Python for Data Science, AI & Development

By Claudia S

Mar 13, 2020

The third party tool is completely unreliable and it makes this course dissapointing and frustrating.

I wasted too much time trying to make it work, since it was either under maintenance or issuing bad gateway errors.

From the discussion boards, I saw that I was not the only one getting this type of errors, so it would be nice if a better tool could be used or maybe provide alternate instructions to use those Jupiter pages in Watson.

By Alan L

Oct 16, 2021

In my opinion, this course was very poorly constructed. The videos were OK, but the labs contained exercises that were very difficult to understand (because of grammar, syntax, etc.). It is hard enough to try and understand the python language. When the English language is not used appropriately, it can make understanding assignments very difficult. I posted several comments asking for help and never received a single reply.

By Glen v U

Dec 3, 2020

There's no way this should be considered a "Beginners" course. Exercises in labs for week 3 and 4 are very hard. The videos are very understandable but the lab excercises are too difficult. There are way too many gaps in information. The labs seem to introduce everything nice and simply, but then hit you with an exercise that is way to difficult and often uses techniques that have not been explained at all!

By Nicholas P L

Oct 12, 2020

This course is not beginner friendly. It jumped right into the meat of things without proper explanation of terminologies, logic, and reasoning. Other than that, the videos are so hard to follow because the narrator talks so fast and the slides go by so quick. If you have expereince with Python, then this is recommended, but this is far from the "Beginner level" that this course is advertised as.

By Andrea M

Sep 6, 2019

Lot's of good content. But the labs are very superficial and they just repeat what shown in the videos. The quizzes are too easy and they do not push you to actually apply what you learned. The final assignment was ridiculous. Just using Pandas to import some data, nothing more, no loops, no if statements, no analysis of the data. Continuing being quite dissatisfied with this certificate.

By Yuval S

Aug 1, 2019

This course was not well designed. It needs intensive editing and rewriting.

The author emphasize the use of IBM cloud products, but the course needs to elaborate in this area if this is the desired target.

Not enough explanations were dedicated to the Python language itself. To succeed you must know some Python before you learn the course, or learn during the course from other sources.

By Ahmed A

Jul 28, 2020

Bad videos.. Many methods and functions in the lab are not explained in the videos

To complete this course I spent most of my time reading documentations and searching to understand what is said as there is no enough explanation or even resources to read from.

(Maybe this method suits you but I didn't like it)

By Ahmet C

Nov 16, 2021

Examples in the videos was not good, at least giving some examples for necessary functions in videos would be good, If you don't want to put new videos than at least give students the documentation link to guide them so they can learn themselves with parallel to labs.

By YASHVIR I

Nov 3, 2021

Lab is not working. I am not able to access any of the hands-on lab exercises.

By Anthony N G

Oct 4, 2019

This course was a perfect introduction to python for data science. I already have a B.S. in political science which required a few semesters of statistics. We mainly used Excel and SPSS. I wish I had taken a course like this because I’ll say that I much prefer Python to SPSS and Excel. I find Python more functional but far less user friendly. What helped a lot here was that I have a background in windows and pc hardware. I also have a little experience with Linux and .bash scripting. I’ll admit, this course would have been much more difficult without the computer knowledge I already had.

I’m currently working full-time trouble shooting large 3D printers 40 hours a week. I’ve been pondering what to go to graduate school for. This course has helped with that decision. I’m leaning toward a masters in the applied data science.

I plan on taking the other data science and applied data science courses on Coursera as well. Any and all continued learning I can get will be valuable.

What was most challenging? Learning the syntax and structure of the python language. I’m still learning it and it’s going to take quite a lot of effort to master it. Attention to detail is an absolute must in programming or coding—albeit a short script or manipulating a data set.

Also, I found that the Anaconda suite was the best choice to complete the course. It was a little more user friendly than the bare-bones IDLE/Python combination.

By Courtney B

Dec 4, 2018

I was a complete newbie to Python, and coding in general, and this course made it easy for even a beginner like me to understand. I would honestly love to take an extended version of this course. That said, I have recommendations for improvement:

1) the labs didn't really make you think terribly hard about how to solve the questions, and I would have loved more complex lab work, especially because of the next point...

2) The complexity of the final project basically skyrockets from the rest of the course work. I feel like an extra week or two of going over the additional knowledge necessary to really succeed in the final project without major struggle would help tremendously. Conceptually, it seemed like it should be REALLY easy... if only I had a little more applicable practice work under my belt before hand. (I finished it successfully, but it was a bigger struggle than it perhaps should have been. I think many other people are in the same boat.)

By Whale M J

Aug 24, 2020

This action-pack course is exactly what I am looking for. It's down-to-earth and practical. Instructors explain with videos once, then you get walk through in the labs, like a step by step guide.

The videos are of bitesize length so it's easier to concentrate on the concepts., and followed by quizzes that ask only the essentials. i love the part that i can experiment with the code myself after researching the concepts further on the internet.

It may be pretty demanding for complete beginners because each concept is introduced very succinctly, so if you have no clue with python at all, i think you need to research extra a lot in order to understand the concept. There are also a few minor typos which may affect the understanding, just really minor ones like a becomes b while b becomes a, or some general english typos.

Perfect for those who want to get a taste immediately what data science looks like, like myself.

By Luis R

Oct 18, 2020

Curso adequado tanto para completos iniciantes (primeira parte do curso) quanto para quem já conhece o básico e gostaria de conhecer e expandir seus conhecimentos nos módulos Pandas, Numpy e Matplotlib.

A parte teórica é apresentada com excelência em videos curtos de maneira bem direta e sintetizada, ideal para desenvolver um bom ritmo de aprendizado e de conclusão do curso.

A parte prática é montada de forma a possibilitar qur você aplique na hora exatamente o que acabou de aprender, acessando a plataforma após cada video por meio de links. Lá você vai encontrar exercicios simples e com explicações e passo a passo

O projeto final é simples, porém muito enriquecedor. Aplicando diretamente conhecimentos sobre os módulos aprendidos e códigos python na análise de um dataset disponibilizado e na geração de um dashboard de visualiação de dados.

By Alpesh G

Jun 29, 2021

The modules teaches the basics of Python and begins by exploring some of the different data types such as integers, real numbers, and strings. Learn how to use expressions in mathematical operations, store values in variables, and the many different ways to manipulate strings. Python data structures by explaining the use of lists and tuples and how they are able to store collections of data in a single variable. About dictionaries and how they function by storing data in pairs of keys and values.

The best part of this course is the unique ways of collecting data by the use of APIs and webscraping. It further explores data collection by explaining how to read and collect data when dealing with different file formats.

By Paul A

Sep 24, 2020

The courses on the Applied Data Science specialization will spoil Coursera for you. I tried the Applied Data Science specialization out of curiosity; and quite frankly, I was happily surprised by quality. I really enjoyed the narrator and the amount of work put into the slides. They are effective at getting the point across and the course content gives you exactly what you need to succeed on the tasks at the end; granted, you have to put in some work, but overall is quite manageable to an "advanced beginner" like me. I felt challenged but not overpowered by the content. I really can't say enough good things about the this specialization and this course.

By Daniyal A

Oct 27, 2019

A highly recommended course for students/professionals who want to learn about Python Programming and its fundamentals. Your journey in this course starts by familiarizing yourself with Python Basics (Data Types, Expressions, Variables & Operations) in Module 1 and learning about Python Data Structures (Lists, Tuples, Sets & Dictionaries) in Module 2. Module 3 focuses on Programming Fundamentals (Conditions, Branching, Functions, Objects & Classes), whereas Module 4 gives you a hands-on experience of working with Data in Python. As you reach the end, Module 5 tests your knowledge and skills through a Final Project.

By Ewan B

Mar 31, 2021

An excellent course, provided by IBM, which does precisely what it says on the tin; providing a pretty solid overview and foundation for the applications of data science, AI and development tools using python. There is a lot veered, and you really do get out what you put in (so it is worth reviewing and revising the logic behind certain applications covered, in order to ensure you really have a decent grasp of how they work). This covered most of what I had hoped it would, and ties directly into the next course I had chosen in advance of deciding to complete this one.

By Wesley E B

May 8, 2019

Great overview of Python. It's quite a useful quick brief explanation of how touples, lists, sets, dictionaries, classes, defining a function, file reading/writing, logic statements, data frames, single and two dimensional arrays and a few packages work. Honestly, most of it would probably be gibberish/hard to follow if one didn't already have a computer programming I and possibly computer programming II course from a college or university under their belt. I feel like these could have been way more graded assignments/quizzes applicable and easily-made.

By Rounak K

This is a good module for beginners in Python like myself. Great amount of examples and functions in the module which if practiced a few times will help understand them completely. I felt there would be no use in just rushing through the entire module and took time as scheduled and practiced the functions every now and then to get a better grasp.

May be the last bit on APIs was a difficult and the "nba_api" by Swar Patel was a bit sudden and I got lost.

But the final assignment was just perfect to understand my knowledge on the module.

By Dr_G@ur

Jul 15, 2020

Classic! For someone who has never programmed in his life but is gritty enough to make it to the field of Data Science, this course is a must. The way even most complicated concepts are explained smoothly and easiely, just loved it. Labs are exceptional. The way this course caters to the need of new programmers is highly appreciable. This would surely motivate budding Data Scientists and would instil much needed confidence in them.

No doubt much effort was put to make this course the waay it is. Loved it!

By Pratham S

Jun 19, 2021

Probably the best course on data science with python on the web.

It gives you such amazing knowledge for a paltry fee that you yourself will get aw-struct by the quality of education you are been provided.

if asked to find out, the only improvement i see in this course is that they can add a bit of feel in the dub, it felt like if the dub artist had felt what she is saying, it would be easier to understand the concept.

thank you coursera for coming up with such an amazing course.

By Xiaowei Z

Apr 30, 2020

The course is systematically developed and clearly delivered. Through this course, I enriched my knowledge on the basic grammar of Python and acquired a new skills, just running towards my goal to be an outstanding Data Analyst. I will continue with the rest 3 courses included in the program Applied Data Science powered by IBM , with a strong belief that more values and competences could be added on myself after the completion of this program. Keep on moving forward!

By Renee W

Jun 27, 2019

This is the first time programming has made sense to me. The format and explanations simplified the material into understandable chunks. There were times a lot of concepts were reviewed at once without a lot of background (when and why would one use a list versus a dictionary versus etc., what on earth are 1 and 2 dimensional numpys for), but the final assignment did much to combine most of the material into a practical use example. Looking forward to learning more.

By Kumar S

Sep 16, 2019

This course was very helpful for me to understand all the basic concepts in python. I learned how to code in Python programming language. It covered the portions of the course content very well. Now i can analyze the data, can make a dashboard any many more things I learned here in this courses and thanks again to COURSERA for accepting my financial aid application. I was unable to pay. But now with support I've completed my course and learned a lot.

By Perla T G

Jan 18, 2022

El curso te permite adentrarte y construir los cimientos para entender Python desde la raiz y va escalando permitiéndote comprender plenamente cada uno de los temas expuestos, los laboratorios refuerzan los conocimientos al permitirte ver los códigos y dejarte experimentar cuando cambias alguna letra, variable o texto. El programa es muy completo permitiendote ir desde lo más básico hasta otros temas un poco mas avanzados pero de manera fluida.