Back to Python Functions, Files, and Dictionaries

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Functions, Files, and Dictionaries by University of Michigan

This course introduces the dictionary data structure and user-defined functions. You’ll learn about local and global variables, optional and keyword parameter-passing, named functions and lambda expressions. You’ll also learn about Python’s sorted function and how to control the order in which it sorts by passing in another function as an input. For your final project, you’ll read in simulated social media data from a file, compute sentiment scores, and write out .csv files. It covers chapters 10-16 of the textbook “Fundamentals of Python Programming,” which is the accompanying text (optional and free) for this course. The course is well-suited for you if you have already taken the "Python Basics" course and want to gain further fundamental knowledge of the Python language. Together, both courses are geared towards newcomers to Python programming, those who need a refresher on Python basics, or those who may have had some exposure to Python programming but want a more in-depth exposition and vocabulary for describing and reasoning about programs. This is a follow-up to the "Python Basics" course (course 1 of the Python 3 Programming Specialization), and it is the second of five courses in the specialization....

SD
Jun 24, 2020

Good course, had a great hands on practice with the Runestone Notebook Environment.\n\nAppreciate the efforts of the instructors and whoever has designed in making the course and helped delivering it.

SG
Sep 15, 2019

It's amazing learn for beginner .A wonderful learning resource and very simple way explains everything . Excellent lessons ,check your understanding ,e-book ,practice, and quiz work and lot of thing

26 - 50 of 705 Reviews for Python Functions, Files, and Dictionaries

By SAPTARSHI D

Jun 25, 2020

By Majid B

Nov 27, 2021

T​his course is artistically well designed. I am able to complete this 35 days'(five weeks) course in just 23 days due to its well suited teaching mechanism.

By Napoleon B

Apr 7, 2019

"If you want to learn the basics of Python3 programming as a newb, this is the perfect course!"

By Ravi S V

Feb 16, 2019

Nice course. Don't know why it isn't more popular.

By David P

Aug 25, 2019

The course material and videos are good, but it is impossible to get help from anyone from the University of Michigan if you have questions. You might get lucky and a fellow student may help, but if you want help from U of Michigan don't hold your breath.

By Ashwin J

Jul 21, 2020

The assignment for the course is too lengthy too understand.

By Alex J C

Nov 14, 2021

I've dabbled with Python three for about four years now, trying much to learn it on my own. I was always getting tripped up over defining functions and working with dictionaries. But University of Michigan's MOOC, "Pyhton Functions, Files, and Dictionaries," made those concepts so much easier to grasp. It helps that the videos are short and succinct, and the daily review questions through the Runestone text fosters retention of the material. I highly recommend this course.

By Igor F

Jan 27, 2019

This course helps to understand how to use context manager to prevent you from forget to close files that are opened for write, nicely explains how you can iterate through files directly. It helps to understand why using a local variable inside a function is a good idea. Finally it helps to understand how to treat dictionaries and tuples. Overall, that's creates a great foundation for the subsequent course in the specialization. Very enjoyed.

By Shubham T

Apr 23, 2020

This was a super-fun course! The materials were very easy to follow, and delivered in a very friendly and engaging manner. I highly recommend this course to anyone just getting started in programming.I feel incredible that I knew almost nothing about programming just a month ago. Now I have done two of the courses of the specialization and I can actually understand other basic codes. Great course!

By Scott K

Dec 13, 2020

Very informative. Great textbook and exercises. The lectures were a bit basic for me, but that's just because they were thorough. I was able to skip them and just use the online textbook and complete assignments to go faster when I wanted. Do yourself a favor and download PyCharm or another code editing program to make it easier to experiment on your own as you work through the assignments.

By FAYEZ Q

Jan 19, 2021

I absolutely enjoyed this course. Not only did it help me gain an insight on Python files, dictionaries and functions, but it also helped me use these concepts smartly to create a project. A very well paced and well structured course. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in Python, and especially to those who have completed the first course of this Python specialization.

By Debasish P

Aug 30, 2019

This course will enable you to move from basic to a bit into intermediate level and believe me the material and the way of explanation is so simple that even a person with zero knowledge will be able to learn easily.

One small thing wanted to highlight that while doing this course please give all your concentartion into this.

Hope they keep on upgrading the course over the time period.

By Muhammed J Z

Sep 19, 2020

This course really challenges your basics of handling files,lists,strings, dictionaries and functions in Python. The exercises and practice problems were very helpful and I learned a lot about using these python features in a practical context. The final assignment was also a very fun project. Overall, this course will definitely help those trying to hone their basics in Python.

By Tingting Y

Aug 9, 2020

Overall it's a great course. The textbook has been very helpful; I find some of the exercises too easy though. I didn't watch most of the videos because I could understand the content very well just by reading the textbook. The final project offered an opportunity to solve a very close to life problem. I look forward to seeing more exercises like this in the following courses.

By Steven P

May 8, 2021

Hands down the courses in the specialty are the best online learning experience I've had. Lectures were short and clear. Practice was well designed to achieve full comprehension. Interactive textbook that incorporates practice without leaving the text allowed reading and practice to happen nearly simultaneously.

Excellent balance between theory and practice.

By Zainab S

Sep 6, 2020

This course is just great I have learned many skills in this course and the way the professors teaches everything in detail and with patience without rushing is to be applauded but the thing I like the very most is the codelens it provides you real demonstration of what's actually going inside the program I really appreciate their efforts, Thank you so much

By Tatiana A

Sep 27, 2019

This course is grear, as well as previous one in this specialization.

I finally got how to use Lambda and Sorted functions. Love the interactive materials and all the practice questions. As always the more practice the merrier. On another note, this course need to be readproofed again - I saw many little mistakes here and there in the interactive book.

By Ramesh K S

Apr 21, 2020

In this course, I have learned about the importance of the user defined functions, to reduce the length of the code for a complex problem statement , and also learnt how to create and operate on files, and this course helps me to learn about the importance of Dictionaries when multiple types of Data has to be handled when solving a real time problem.

By Enam B

Jul 29, 2020

Very informative. If you are a beginner, you must take the first course of the specialization and then this one. Week 4 materials were the most awesome one, especially, lambda tags. In the end, there was a very interesting assignment. Hopefully, you will like it whether you are a beginner or not. As always, massive love for professor Paul Resnick.

By PANIDAPU H C

Apr 7, 2020

FIRSTLY,I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL THE INSTRUCTORS.THE WAY OF TEACHING IS EXCELLENT.I LIKE THIS COURSE.I THINK IT WILL HELP ME MORE FOR LEARNING MORE PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES.

I LIKE PROFESSOR STEVE ONEY AND PROFESSOR PAUL RESNICK LECTURES.ONCE AGAIN I WOULD LIKE TO THANK PROFESSOR STEVE ONEY AND PROFESSOR PAUL RESNICK FOR INSTRUCTING ME VERY WELL.

By Kevin M

Mar 29, 2021

Fantastic course. This course and specialization so far are superbly taught and very enjoyable and I am learning the material well. I have two degrees from Michigan and the instruction in this course is as good, if not better, than what I have experienced even in the most excellent of courses in my prior experience. Great job!

By Sara T

Jun 7, 2020

The course content is great and the instructors are brilliant because they can illustrate the course content to people with basic knowledge and make them understand every single detail. Thank you for explaining in a very simple way and giving us such assignments to check our understanding and engage us better in deep learning.

By Santiago F M S

Dec 25, 2020

Of the courses I have taken so far, this one was one of the best. I almost did not watched the videos, only read and practiced using the book.

I was not 100% happy with the instructions provided to use google sheets on the last assignment. I think this should be improved, as many people may not have experience using it.

By Jinesh S

Jun 23, 2020

The course goes on a prefect pace with great in depth insights and knowledge. Great instructors and course material with practice tools, interactive textbook, and exercises are the perfect way to learn programming. Many examples to follow through and sense of logical reasoning is also included for each examples.

By Ha T L A

Aug 13, 2021

I​ have always been scared of dictionary, mixing between tuple, list, etc...However, this course had changed everything. I'm so confident working with these type of data. Highly recomment this course, very details, a lots of exercises to practice, instruction is easy to understand and follow. Thank you all!