Back to Python for Genomic Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Genomic Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

4.3

This class provides an introduction to the Python programming language and the iPython notebook. This is the third course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization from Johns Hopkins University....

KR
Jul 16, 2018

A very good course for its length and the amount of time it requires. It improved my python skills and knowledge of Genomics. I'm more engaged in my pursuits than before taking the course.

JD
Oct 6, 2017

Easy to understand and very powerful examples. Not just it made me familiar with python, it also made it easy for me to teach to my students and inspire them to pursue python further.

176 - 200 of 242 Reviews for Python for Genomic Data Science

By Yu-Chi L

Oct 14, 2019

I learn a lot here! Thanks!

By Shivam P

Jun 29, 2020

It was a wonderful cousrse

By Gonzalo C S

Jan 5, 2017

It was good and practical.

By Palash K

May 13, 2020

It was Quite Informative.

By Satarupa B

Dec 12, 2020

Very good

By Helen E

May 1, 2021

Thanks to the instructors for the content of the course. I have some recommendations for improving the quality to make it more comprehensible for newcomers to the field. I think the gap between what is instructed in the class and the exams are massive and the student may find him/herself overwhelmed. I do appreciate it if the forum for each week is more active. There are so many questions unanswered in each week's forum. I think if the moderators guide the students more actively, forums are also a very good chance for us (students) to learn new prospects.

I like to learn the bioinformatic and I think this course was a good start. Thank you very much for giving me this chance to learn something new.

By Yonatan M

Oct 13, 2020

Nice course if you hace programming skills already and very entusiastic teachers!

The biggest flaw in my opinion is that in order to pass the course, you already have to have a solid background and experience in programing.

Another thing is they dont give programming HW in this course and only Qs you have to run in the shell to get the right answer or you have to spot mistakes in the code.

My advice to the new students in the course is to take each method/function/module and find exercises in the internet to get hands on experience with it (there are alot of sites in google with great exercises).

By Lily Z Z

Jun 19, 2018

Great leaps of difficulty seem unavoidable in this kind of courses. It felt rather easy at the beginning of the course but the level of difficulty just increased exponentially. Programming actually takes a much longer time than simply 4 weeks to learn and practice to be skillful. So please add some sort of warning stating"decent background knowledge required" to the course introduction or it will be a torture taking the course as a completely beginner. The course design could have been done better.

By Sally S

May 7, 2016

I enjoyed the lectures, but I felt they didnt go into enough details on analysis of sequence data. The final project was considerably harder than the material taught in the class and problems with the course (e.g. the final exam file not being available) had obviously not been fixed since the last version of the course. A fell I now have a good basic understanding of python but not enough to do any real analysis. Fantastic course mentor/TA.

By JoRa

Apr 25, 2020

If you're an absolute noob, I'd rather recommend to do a basic python course first, otherwise you wont be able to do the course without learning those basics on the way.

All in all the course was OK, but could be a bit more hands on, e.g. providing more data to analyse oneself as in the last final exam. Compared to the GALAXY course in the second lecture, this final exam is rather easy.

By Nguemaha M

Nov 25, 2018

I took this course without a background in biology or genetics. The material sounds interesting but the lecturers rush through it so fast. They do not provide sufficient explanation of the biology to allow completion of the programming assignment. They ask to write a code for finding ORFs yet they don't even explain how ORFs are defined in case of multiple start codons and end codons.

By Bartłomiej P

Jun 19, 2020

The course in no way prepares the student to complete the final exam of the course, if this course is for people without any prior python experience, I really pity the ones that had to go through it.

I myself had some experience but it was challenging for me to do the final quiz, but it was fun.

The course is overall good but needs some updates from the tutors.

By Siddhartha P

Apr 24, 2020

Quite badly prepared course. The final exam assignment was challenging but unfortunately the methods etc to arrive at the solutions were not discussed in the main lecture of the course. It needs lot of working so that the focus should be given on learning rather than arbitrarily increasing the toughness level for the exam.

By Dave S

Apr 20, 2020

The assignments can be difficult with little guidance on the best approach to take and not to much activity on the forums. The questions can be difficult because of the formatting used and the way python uses format to decide program flow. The final exam takes considerably longer than the rest of the course

By Kerry A

Sep 6, 2020

The final exam was too much of a step up from the course material. Not having official solutions to refer to afterwards also sucks, because I'm not sure how to improve my code. Really struggled with the coursework, and even though I passed the exam I feel quite disappointed.

By Aditi D

Jul 7, 2020

This course teaches you basics only, but when the questions are asked in the quiz they are no where related to what has been taught, and the level of difficulty of those questions is really high.

By Benson N M

Jun 17, 2016

I think someone who has never coded before can approach this course. However, further reading of the resources presented will augment what has been taught and to better handle the quizzes.

By Antoon L

Jan 11, 2017

A good introduction to Python, but the course is a rather short & I think more could have been said about genomics-specific functions, modules, etc. and how to use them.

By Priscilla C

Apr 13, 2017

I didn't know anything about programming and needed a lot of help with this course. I would have like more help in getting python and its complements install. Thanks.