Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality content
(256 Reviews)
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)

SM
Jun 18, 2020

This course was really interesting and did a good job introducing complicated topics in usefully simplified form. It was a pleasure to listen to the instructor and I got everything I wanted out of it.

JM
Dec 2, 2016

I have not found an easy way to learn how to code with python language. Mentor are really helpful and Dr Chuck is one of the most self explain professor that I have met in my three university career.

251 - 275 of 6,762 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By Senthil K

Dec 14, 2017

Dr Chuck was fantastic. He spends more time in explaining concepts in details. This course in conjunction with previous Python courses. Not just Python, I have learnt about XML, JSON, working with APIs. Totally enjoyed the course. I was able to watch the sessions multiple times. Thanks Dr Chuck and Coursera for the MOOC.

By John F

Mar 10, 2017

Great series of courses at just the right pace. I can do one in my lunch hour and not have to think about 4-5 hours of study per week. Also you can self pace and go much faster so you can finish the course in 1-2 weeks but I always find it is better to take a little longer to let the ideas sit and bounce around a little.

By 汪悦

Apr 22, 2018

I spent some time adapting to the easy way of teaching, as I was using Windows system and there are several differences between my infrastructure and that of the instructor's, e.g. Oauth for Twitter API never worked on my computer. But I also learned to install pip and different packages myself. Great way of exploring!

By Anastasia N

Jan 16, 2016

Loved this class. Perfect level of difficulty for me, engaging videos, and the material provides the right amount of info to get the assignments done without being too obvious. Dr. Chuck is really entertaining :) I am seeing more and more ways that I can apply this to my work and look forward to the continuing classes.

By Jeremiah R

Sep 20, 2020

If you would like an understanding of the fundamentals taking place behind libraries such as requests, coupled with an overview of the protocols and data formats that power service layers then this is the course for you.

If you want to find a tutorial regarding API use with requests, this course will not provide that.

By praveen n

Sep 19, 2020

A great course by Dr. Chuck. Very informative and covers how to access web data using python. You will learn how to scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. You will be working with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This is not a class for experts but more suited for beginners.

By DUGLAS V

Nov 30, 2020

I am so happy to have finished this third module. Every time I find myself with more confidence to develop the problems that arise. It is a good moment to congratulate Professor Chuck, who presents an extraordinary methodology and knowledge transmission, for which I thank him. See you in the next python for everyone.

By Paulina B R

Nov 29, 2020

I took a little bit of a break while completing this course but it was nice that I was able to pick up where I left off and did not have to worry about resetting my deadlines. Professor Chuck is incredible at explaining the different topics that he is teaching and it's awesome how many resources are available to us !

By Jiejia Y

Nov 13, 2016

This course is entering a different web world, which is a little complicated for me to understand it. In general, Professor Severence did a good job to show the basic ideal for us in an relatively easier way. I would really appreciate if this course can recommend more reading materials to help students to understand.

By Abey M

Apr 30, 2020

This course was undertaken as part of the Python Specialization. I found it to be engaging and hands on. Dr. Chuck has a very interesting style in explaining the theory breaking it into parts which is easy to comprehend. I would recommend this course for those new to Python to know more about how to access web data.

By 李昀泽

Nov 22, 2019

thanks doc chunk.And other teachers are also helpful,i think.Someone has said that thhi course is so difficult since it requires us to learn by ourselvers ,but i think it is a good thing because teachers can't teach all of the things in a short video.I also enjoy the process of finding problems and figure it out..

By Vinayak N

Jan 24, 2019

This course added an important tool to my arsenal. It taught me how to retrieve different elements from websites using libraries like beautiful soup and the basic python urllib library and now, I can scrape the web to hunt for stuff that I want in a customized way. Thank you Dr. Chuck for this comprehensive session!

By Orel F

Mar 12, 2017

Great course. Learned a lot about JSON and XML. Expanded my view of what is possible in programming. Never explained SOAP or why it sucks, and I can kinda explain REST, but still not quite sure what "representational state" refers to. Its just data, no state, and no representation, so why is it called that. Thanks!

By Tang W K

Jul 17, 2020

Videos were interesting and well paced, with enough direction given to a coding beginner. Explanations were easy to follow and assignments, while guided, still require enough thought to be completed. Felt that I came out of it with a better foundation of python, especially how applications call out to one another.

By James F A

May 12, 2020

This is my first time studying web data, so it quite difficult for me, but I find it challenging especially one of the assignments in URL links takes me almost two hours to figure it out. Dr. chuck is a very good professor, he has delivered all the lessons effectively so we can understand it much better. Thank you

By Daniel D

Feb 9, 2020

It's great course, the concepts are complex but presented and explained very clearly and easy to understand. Unlike some other courses from the Michigan Uni, I highly recommend this one, especially for people starting working with Python. Instructor is clearly passionate about what he's doing. Well done Dr Chuck!

By Chris A

Nov 1, 2020

Certainly more challenging than the prior two courses but the forums helped get over a hurdle as others had similar questions and while the specific answer is not provided in the forums, the assistants' suggestions to others helped me think about things differently and finally get to what I needed to accomplish.

By Arnav M

Aug 14, 2017

This course is again like the usual , amazing and i learned a lot and the quizzes challenges a lot and the coding section needs to step up a bit as i think that they are not so challenging as we get most of the code from the videos .

But an amazing job once again fro Dr.Chuck . Sir i have became a fan of yours.

By Scott D

Dec 28, 2016

Like the other courses in the series, Dr. Chuck has a way of making course content tangible, easy to consume, and non-intimidating. Framing the lessons around real-world scenarios helps a lot. This instructor and the content are a breath of fresh air and truly reflect the "for everyone" theme in the book title.

By Sagar Z

May 15, 2020

Great Course. I did not anything about web applications before joining this course. If you are new too, don't worry prof explains it like it's a piece of cake. Just know basic python.

Having passed first two courses, I had enough knowledge of Python. This and Prof. helped learn this great stuff in short time.

By Rujin Z

Apr 18, 2017

Thanks MR. Chuck! you're always so humorous and thought-provoking!

A small suggestion: when switching on the transcript button, the scripts would bar some PPT contents (bottom parts), which then asks you to switch it off.

Prof. Chuck the course series is indeed really helpful and leading for students! Thank you.

By Ryan W

Nov 29, 2015

The course provides a fabulous overview of using Python to access web data sources either via a scrape and search of HTML or via XML/JSON data provided by an API. The course builds on the previous two courses in the sequence; if you have completed those then I suspect you can continue your journey with Python.

By Amr E

Aug 8, 2016

Great class. The video lectures cover the topics in a very interesting and easy to understand way and the exercises make sure that I understood what I learned, also, I like the idea of providing part of the source code which helps maintain the focus on the things that are newly learned while writing the code.

By Benn L

Dec 30, 2018

Very useful materials for me to make use of the data from the web after taking this course. I am a beginner with a couple of university entry level programming courses prior taking this online course. Very pleased with the simple yet detail instructions in both code packages and videos throughout the course.

By Jesse P

Jul 1, 2020

This course ended up being a phenomenal learning experience! As you delve into python and web formats, at first it can be very frustrating as everything is alien to you. With patience, practice and trying things out it starts to become known as your other Python skills are. Dr. Chuck is a fantastic teacher.