Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality content
(256 Reviews)
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)

SM
Jun 18, 2020

This course was really interesting and did a good job introducing complicated topics in usefully simplified form. It was a pleasure to listen to the instructor and I got everything I wanted out of it.

ML
Jun 16, 2017

Excellent course with in depth explanations. It is well structured. It learn to access Web Data from very basics to optimum level. It help me to understand details of using Python to Access Web Data.

301 - 325 of 7,364 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By Albert D I

Jan 21, 2018

I had no idea about Python but thanks to this course I am learning the basic of it, files, internet connetion, databases, etc. I just can´t stop!! But I don´t think is so basic as it says, for a complete rokie in programming there are a lot of concepts which will be difficult for the person to understand.

By Mustafa A M

Nov 2, 2017

thanks very much Dr-chuck and your staff they are very helpful ,

I find this course very useful as an introduction to Accessing web data and how it is work so I recommend this for any one who is fresh with some thing like this like me

but I'm interesting to have more advanced in this field

thanks everybody

By Nipun S

Feb 9, 2016

Thank you for a wonderful courses ,Keep up the great work and surly one day its gonna change the education system.In India Many Educational Institutes are there just for business . So the one who need the real knowledge Surely gonna get through this. Thanks for such a wonderful and knowledgeable Course .

By Ranjana P

May 16, 2019

This was a tough course and tbh I think I am going to come back to it to go through it. There is so much good information. It is also taught very well. It will take me some time to properly digest this knowledge. Thank you Dr Chuck and everyone who has been in the team to produce this course. Keep it up.

By Layne C

Nov 7, 2015

Another great course from Dr. Chuck. The instructor effectively distills the relevant information needed for someone to learn the material without belaboring the underlying theory. These courses are great for people to get their hands dirty as well as more experienced programmers wanting to learn Python.

By Ben V D

Sep 17, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. Although I would like to have a bit more assignments and exercises, the course content is great. Chuck really dives into interesting concepts & software programs with enthusiasm. Great teacher and great course for getting to know the basics of accessing the web with Python!

By Richard G

Jul 23, 2016

A very very good course. Dr Severance did an excellent job and provides a very thorough explanation of the topics. I would recommend this course for anyone interested in learning Python in a hands on and interactive way. The quizzes and the exercises were good and directly track the course material.

By Ramez S Q

Sep 25, 2020

A very useful course. The instructor dives into webservices just enough so that the learner has learned the basics and main concepts, rather than diving into may details that discourage the learner. after the course you are free to dive more into web services and you have a base that you can build on.

By Krishnan. N

Oct 31, 2016

Python is a really good programming language and it was presented in the best possible way! The lectures, quiz, assignments and the book - especially the book - all went together really, really well.

In summary, one of the best put-together MOOC courses i've had the pleasure of attending. Thanks a ton!

By Andriy S

Feb 21, 2016

This was a really great course, I enjoyed it a lot. A always wanted to write parsers on my own, and know, thanks to Dr. Chuck, I have the required knowledge base. I think that completing this course will really help me through my life. Thank you, Coursera and Dr.Chuck, for this fantastic opportunity!

By Amit V

Dec 13, 2015

I worked with Python in 2001 for my first job at a hedgefund company. It was refreshing to work on the basics of the language and to refresh syntax and new libraries. Python is a powerful language and Dr. Chuck has made it easy for beginners as well as for advanced members to quickly get up to speed.

By Pulimaddi B

Apr 24, 2020

Before joining this course, I don't know anything about web services. But I came to know this all because of the course instructor (professor severance) . Thank you for the wonderful course. Assignments are also quite similar to worked examples. we can gain much knowledge by doing these assignments.

By Christofer O

Oct 27, 2020

I think this is a very interesting courses about web services, even though I don't really into to programming about web services, but I must admit this amazing courses even for beginner like me and also this courses opens my view about web services in python with simple manner. Thank you dr. Chuck.

By Raghav.S

Aug 20, 2020

This has been the best course I've opted till date.

This course's topics were new to me and I found it a bit difficult, but thanks to Dr.Charles Severance who made it very easy for me to keep up going with the course and his way of teaching made it quite easy to understand the topics taught so far .

By Sachin K J

Apr 2, 2020

This course is really very simple for those who already know some programming languages. And too abstract for those who are really new to programming. I would suggest you to go through book once in a while after you complete the chapter that will really help you some up everything you have learned.

By Ruth C

Jan 30, 2021

love the class. It is a little unfamiliar territory since i do not have a computer science back ground and find the high level intro to accessing the web very useful. Having had self-taught to write bash scripts and working in R, it does help to understand everything that was taught in the course.

By Diana M

Sep 17, 2020

Overall I really enjoyed the class. Using the free Python book as a supplement helped me to solidify newly acquired information. Dr Chuck's explanations are, as usual, impeccable. I encourage everybody who's taken the first two classes in the Python specialization to also take this one. Good luck!

By Robert T

Jan 17, 2017

Professor Charles Severance is great. Very straightforward, positive attitude. Fun to learn Python. He covered some good material on the background of XML and JSON with interviews and reviewed concepts necessary to call both XML defined by Schemas XSD and JSON service with rate-limiting and OAuth.

By Richard I C

Jul 18, 2016

This is the third course in the Python for Everyone series, which builds on the lessons of the first two courses. The course's automated grading made it easy to continue with each assignment at my own pace; and the way the information is presented makes it easy to learn without getting frustrated.

By Ahmed E

Dr. Chuck makes things easy to understand, he dives deep into the subjects and make them sound so familiar even if it's the first time you know about it. This course is on everyone's level and will take you form no programming background to a comfortable level to take on more advanced curriculum.

By Tiwari S R

Sep 12, 2020

I Really Enjoyed The Course. The Good Part of this Course is Bonus Chapter And Interviewing Part so we come to know How That particular Thing Invented.The Course Really Improve My knowledge as after this course Now I'm able to extract data from Web and also able to work with HTML, XML and JSON.

By Nguyen H S

Jun 28, 2016

The course is helpful for me. It gives me an overall view of what's happening inside every click of mouse on web browser. Through this course I've learned about XML, JSON, how to parse those data, how to use and request API and many useful things.

Thank you Dr. Chuck for your series Python class.

By Екатерина Б

May 7, 2019

A very useful course and with great explanations by Dr Chuck, high quality material and good content of the lectures. The course is more difficult than the previous two but it's great that it is challenging. Mentors helped me with the guidance when I was stuck on some assignments. Thanks a lot!

By Nikita L

Mar 28, 2019

I would like to have more assignments and more different tasks as often your assignment is just change 3 lines. Maybe it can be not mandatory as for some people is enought to learn to change just a few lines, but I would like to be able to practice more as part of the course and not on my own.

By Daniel B

Jan 3, 2016

Everything good explained, even if u would be a beginner. Earlier it took me much time to learn these concepts from different sources in web. Dr Chuck explaines this all (call webservises per APIs, JSON, XML, XML schemes etc) in a very vivid manner in this collection of videos. Recommendable.