Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality content
(256 Reviews)
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)

SM
Jun 18, 2020

This course was really interesting and did a good job introducing complicated topics in usefully simplified form. It was a pleasure to listen to the instructor and I got everything I wanted out of it.

ML
Jun 16, 2017

Excellent course with in depth explanations. It is well structured. It learn to access Web Data from very basics to optimum level. It help me to understand details of using Python to Access Web Data.

51 - 75 of 7,375 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By Josh H

Jul 18, 2020

Dr. Chuck seems like a great professor and I would love to take a course with him in person if I attended the University of Michigan, but I felt I didn't really learn much due to the extremely low difficulty of assignments. Most involved literally just taking the sample code provided and modifying a few lines slightly. I guess it's somewhat forgivable given the difficulty inherent in packaging so many deep, nuanced concepts into a digestible course for the masses, but it still doesn't change the fact that I don't feel like I really learned much of anything. While in the course, I stressed out a bit over the assignments, thinking I was expected to understand all example code provided, until I realized the assignment involves changing like two lines and that's it.

By Yixin W

May 29, 2018

This course is really really challenging if you only took the first two courses before this. The tests are quite hard to get. there are many moving pieces and it is hard to know where to begin with. I tried very hard to understand the lectures but i would say it just doesn't help with the tests.

I wouldn't recommend to beginners like me. but if you know python for a while maybe that's another story.

By Sehan P

Jun 12, 2018

Course is not organized properly. Enough detail is not discussed for some parts. Especially for the parts on Beautifulsoup. Some information is just provided in the links in slide with no reference to whether it is optional to check or not. This course would be good for someone with prior knowledge about JSON, XML and HTML.

By Hosam M

need more clarification, the instructor suppoised that we have a solid background in this area (access web data).

I am very disappointed from this course.

Apr 28, 2018

Average at best. The quiz for networking may be the worst I have ever seen.

I was expecting them to ask me if you could be an animal what would you be?

By Kristin C

Aug 20, 2018

The reading materials and lectures were straight-forward and easy to understand, but the assignments were very difficult and caused me to dislike

By Shilpa S T

May 29, 2018

Not enough relevant material was covered for completing the assignments

By Rohit Y

REST APIs and week 6 lectures are extremely hard to comprehend.

By 刘嘉禧

Feb 27, 2020

too hard

By Stephen I

Nov 27, 2016

I thought the content layout for Courses 1 and 2 were okay. However, when I got to Course 3: Using Python to Access Web Data, I was extremely disappointed. This specialization is advertised as one does not require programming experience. Course 3, however, introduces a variety of computer science topics that I believe cause information overload for a beginner. A student is bombarded with information about regular expressions, the HTTP protocol, web sockets, URLs, HTML, XML, JSON, and APIs. In fact, the video lectures spend the majority of the time explaining these concepts, while spending very little time explaining how to use Python to access web data. The corresponding book, Python for Informatics, was of little help understanding the assignments. Like the videos, the book lacks sufficient numbers of examples. The few examples that are given lack adequate explanations of the code they contain. I found myself on many occasions asking, "What exactly does this line or block of code do?", and could not locate the answer. If not for the forum, I would not have been able to complete th

By Smit P

Nov 22, 2019

Not as good as the previous courses in this specialization. There are many aspects that one needs to know before applying for the course.

1. If this is the first course you are taking before taking any of the previous courses in this spealization then you should probably think and might take the previous ones. Since this course consists of some topics that are discussed in the previous course.

2. The explanation Is too short and I felt it is rushed and not proper explanation is given in some of the topics.

3. There are some good assignments , I was able to do some of them on my own without taking any help based on the explanation and videos . While most of the assignments are difficult since proper explanation is not given .

4. In most of the examples of solved programs instructor does not show the full detailed solution and explanation since the topics is been covered in the previous course. (The typical "You have learnt this in your school " so I m not repeating types)

At the end I felt that I have not gained much knowledge from this course and just completed the assignments.

By Ahmet K

Jul 22, 2020

1) In the video lectures, instructor assumes that you are familiar with the subject. Even though i have completed previous courses in the specialization, most of the time i was very unfamiliar with the subjects that i have been assumed to know.

2) Most of the time instructor is going out of subject and it is being very distracting for not native speakers. I am having hard time understanding the content and then realize that he is speaking about sth. irrelevant.

3) since video lectures are not covering all, you will have hard time understanding the content if your background is not CS. So when you are having hard time to understand the content Instructor trying to make unfunny jokes will annoy you.

I liked first two courses of specialization and hopeful about last two... but this one is below average.

By Zong Y N

Jun 28, 2021

We are encouraged at the start of the course that we can read up external materials to understand the context better. But during the assignment, when we wrote codes not exactly taught in the course - it was considered as "copying from the internet". Moreover, one assignment was believed to have incorrect content that render my assignment failed. After raising it in the discussion forum, my assignment been accepted suddenly, I have yet to receive any conclusion on what went wrong that render my assignment failed initially. Took up alot of my time to relook on my assignments that are fundamentally correct, the so called "copy from internet" and the last assignment that failed because of wrong content.

By Kevin P

Mar 18, 2016

The pedagogy of this course is disappointing because of a lack of sequential instruction. Large gaps exist: explanations of syntax and conceptualization of how the data flows seem incomplete. I have looked at all kinds of documentation as well as the book, but I cannot find what I need to know, and this a barrier to completing the assignments. The instructor's videos have shown me very little of what I need to understand the concepts. The examples show at most 20% (that is just a guess, it is probably less) of the knowledge that I need to complete the assignments. When I ask questions on the forums, the first word I think when I read mentors' explanations is "cryptic."

By Rick M

Jan 29, 2017

This course is garbage. The instruction videos are fine, but the assignments are imprecise in their language at times, and there are certain key points needed to complete them that aren't covered in the videos. The mentor in the forums is lousy, and his responses are worded as if he's talking with a peer and not a beginner/student.

I may or may not try another coursera course after this. But if this experience is any indication, Coursera isn't very good. The same UofM course appears over on Udemy, and I wonder if it is just being repurposed on as many platforms as possible without the care needed to make sure it works.

By Hua R Q

Jun 24, 2020

The rule of not allowing TAs to explain to students the answers to the quiz in the discussion area doesn't make sense at all, because the assignment itself does not give an explanation for the answers. Many students seek help after completing the quiz. If they intended to cheat, they don’t need to bother asking questions in the discussion area, because the test itself is unlimited, and they can repeat the test multiple times to get the correct answer. If there is no chance to ask questions about the quiz, how can the problems aroused in the quiz be solved?

By Matthew B

Mar 2, 2016

No teaching. Just a guy talking and sometimes complaining about imaginary students' hypothetical thoughts. Do the problem sets for practice. If you need help, pause the videos and try the code out yourself.

Seriously though, a programming course where the teacher is not actively type out the code but just scribbling around it. He doesn't work through code but talks around the concepts.

By Tyrel B

Jun 29, 2017

Course started out with python 2.7 and then moved to python 3.x after the second week. Felt like I was paying for a Beta course. Assignment samples didn't match up for the xml parsing section... json code was provided.... spend hours getting beautiful soup to work then figured out they had switched the python version on me.... course forum was worthless

By Harshita C

Aug 30, 2020

Course 1 and 2 of this specialization were much more effective and easy to understand. The assignments were really hard. Somehow completed them but didn't get enough knowledge. Many of the topics were not properly explained so became much difficult to pass the assignments. The difficulty level was really high this time.

By Juan M B G

Mar 11, 2021

I was unfairly accused of plagiarism just for post a code that was posted on an instructor because I had question about this code, now I have an average for 89.9 without this assestment and I cannot get the certificate just for this.

By Aditi G

Jun 11, 2020

I am really disappointed by the teaching staff , I did not copy/paste any of the codes yet they have given me zero grades. This is how you examine student's code ? Because of this I feel so disappointed after all these efforts.

By LISA S

Aug 16, 2020

You can't get help. I got stuck on this one assignment. but the only place to get help is a forum which is not helpful. I was asking for extra help and that doesn't happen. This is strictly you get what you pay for.

By Chandrasekhar G

Very hard course all of a sudden. I have completed many specializations and I can say that this has too steep a learning curve.

By yan m

Sep 22, 2020

this course does not go deep enough to actuulay understand somting and most of the code are gicen without any explnation

Apr 2, 2019

What comes in the videos has pretty much no correlation to the elements of each assignment