Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality content
(256 Reviews)
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)

SM
Jun 18, 2020

This course was really interesting and did a good job introducing complicated topics in usefully simplified form. It was a pleasure to listen to the instructor and I got everything I wanted out of it.

AB
Jun 6, 2019

Getting a bit more challenging than the earlier courses in the specialization. The exercises require more struggle, but all the information is there. Another step along the way. Thank you, Dr. Chuck!

126 - 150 of 6,730 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By Aitor J G

Jul 23, 2018

Wonderful course, the way Chuck explains it is the cherry on the cake that makes all the specialisation even more valuable. The content itself is really useful and a good starting point for projects that require the use of APIs. If something I wish there was a video explaining how to understand the "def augment" that Dr-Chuck did, referring to the "oAuth.py" of the twitter API but overall I'm really happy with all I've learnt and I would definitely recommend this to all curious people out there.

By Alan P

Oct 30, 2015

Awesome.

Truly awesome.

Professor Severance (a.k.a. 'Dr Chuck') is an amazing teacher, explaining the content in a clear yet engaging way - truth is, it gives the impression of being a wonderful human being tout-court. The coding exercises are very well crafted, and show how to use tiny Python snippets to carry out heavy tasks.

So if you've never really sat down to learn regexes, or if you want to have a minimal web crawler/scraper running in less than one hour, this class might be your cup of tea.

By Christopher T

Dec 20, 2017

Dr. Chuck's courses are great!! I am enjoying them immensely. I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Chuck in person. He is personable and engaging. Take the chance to meet him if he hosts live office hours near you. These Cousera MOOCs are easy to navigate and provide a wealth of valuable material for people at all levels. The first assignment of week 6 was the hardest yet, but following Dr. Chuck's lectures and with the help of some very wise mentors and tutors the code problems are easily solved.

By Venugopal A

Feb 4, 2016

It was really helpful. I have 18 years of software development experience, but never learnt python and after going through this course, I could understand the power of it and how it can be used. I could learn the concepts very well and of course had to google to refresh myself, but its well organized and put together in a way we can learn easier and faster.

Thanks to Dr Chuck. Sometimes your comedy was above and beyond, but at the end of the day, it was a good course and learned quite a bit.

By Manuel A A T

Jul 20, 2016

Absolutely a MUST for anyone looking for a smooth intro into APIs, HTTP requests, and data exchange on the web. As always, Dr. Charles' magnificent pedagogy will guide you step by step up to the point where you will be sending requests and fetching data from your Twitter account. Create one if yo do not have it yet. :-)

It will be absolutely beneficial to update this course to discuss the Twitter library available in Python, wish is far easier to use than the currently explained method.

By Jeff N

Feb 7, 2016

Outstanding Course for a newby. All about programming. Lectures and problems are clear and relate directly to the subject not related topics like statistics and other disciplines which add nothing to the Python and Python programming focus. Dr. Severance has built a great specialization here. Problems can be challenging but doable within the time frame represented by the course description (give or take a couple hours on some of the more challenging ones. I've learned alot! Thanks

By Ian S F

Apr 21, 2020

Great course. A lot of fun!. I'm a finance guy that knew a little bit about data structure only in MS Access that could modify the sql in there a little bit. I figured I could use the quarantine to learn something new at night and on the weekends.

I started the first class to get an understanding of python so I could take the statistics classes with python. Decided to try and finish out the specialization first. Glad I did. On to the next...

Thanks Dr. Chuck and support team!

By Artjom S

Jan 18, 2016

I like this course, but for me it was a little bit harder to understand some basic stuff. Ie, in JSON for me was confusing to hear "a list of dictionaries".

Furthermore I didn't know what kind of operations I need to apply to them -- therefore I was checking for types of integers and even "brute forcing" a combinations of possible operations.

As I have finished this course, I'l definitely check again previous chapters to build a better fundamentals in my head.

Thank you dr Chuck!

By Rodolpho M I

Jul 7, 2020

Like the first two courses from Python for Everybody specialization, I liked it so much. The material is excellent, Dr. Chuck is clear while he is explaining the concepts and all the codes through the classes. But, in this third course, we saw contents like regular expressions and how to extract and use web data in Python, which are more complex than all the contents of the first two courses. So, because of that, I think this course could have more exercises for us to practice.

By 王桢

Sep 2, 2017

It's more about width rather than depth in this course because learning and using all of the skill in accessing and processing web data through python needs to spend far more time than this. Still this course provides me a good start and a broad understanding of what's going on with areas such as regular expression, XML, Json, API and python's connection with them. I even got some skill and code in my computer to do some tricky operation on the web with python and it is good.

By Brian D H I

Sep 22, 2020

This course is great! After reading some of the other reviews I think some people missed the point, some said that the course was too difficult but I disagree, the level of difficulty was perfect, Dr. Chuck thought you enough to be able to complete the assignments as long as you really tried and not so much that you would just need to copy and paste the answer from the lectures. I loved this course and I'll continue to take the next one in the coursera specialization.

By Calvin K

Jun 10, 2017

Man, I love Dr Chuck! He explains things in a way that's incredibly easy for anyone to understand. I finished the course in just a couple of days as I'm already quite familiar with Python and most of the stuff and just wanted to use the course as a refresher and checked see if there's any knowledge point that I was missing, but this course is awesome and I recommend it to anyone who's new to getting data from the web! I think I'll take all Dr Chuck's courses in the future!

By Jay T

Nov 16, 2020

This was the first course out of the specialization where i had NO prior knowledge and I must say, Dr. Chuck makes the learning process so fun and rewarding. I am happy that we learned XML first and then he saved the best for last with JSON and it did feel easier. I would recommend py4e not only to python beginners, but to ALL computer science beginners. This is the root to your computer science adventure and the options after this are truly limitless. Rock on Dr. Chuck!

By Sambath M

Mar 28, 2020

I'm very happy that people like you guys are doing this awesome project which is free teaching.

I loved the course from Dr Chuck, and I learned a lot in this one, about playing and analyzing data in its globality.

I also learn how data travel through the Internet, and I was captivated by all the process a Data has to do to be read by a user.

Overall this course is fascinating, and a big thank you to Dr Chuck & All the staff that make this course possible. I love you all.

By Carlos H

Jun 19, 2016

Great class. Goes over the basics of pulling data from online sources: HTML, XML, JSON. Also goes over the basics of those 3 so if you know nothing about those, the class is helpful. Coming from knowing literally zero about Python and starting from course 1, this is the first course out of the specialization where the assignments were a little tougher and took some googling. (PS I'm using Python 3, so it may be a little more straight forward with 2, I'm not sure though)

By Ganesh U

Mar 3, 2019

This was excellent course. It was the 3rd one I took under Python for Everybody. The first 2 were easy, probably since i already knew Python basics. The assignments in this one truly tested my understanding of the topics covered. I had to go back to videos to second time, before I could start on the assignments. Before starting, I was completely new to data formats XML and jSON. Prof Chuck, explained the concepts very well, starting with basics, and building up nicely.

By Mullai

I am very much thankful to the university and to the professor Dr Charles Severance for offering this beautiful course.Such an amazing and adorning course which helps you to understand Python right from the basics to the core with much clear and deep understanding.The important thing is professor makes the concept very simple so that we easily put that into programming syntax.Thank much for Teaching Assistant also for guiding us in exploring our program much deeper.

By Manuel J T M

Nov 24, 2018

I'm very gratefull for you allow me to free enroll the course . When I finished the previous course from the Naijin University I need to improve my skills in managing web pages with Python and the course "Using Python to Access Web Data" is absolutely suited for this purpose.

Again, thank you, and I may say it is very nice this "anglo" kind of teaching. The assignments are perfect for consolidate the knowledge.

Congratulations four your course and sorry for my english.

By Richard C

Jan 30, 2017

Third one down in the specialization and still loving the courses. I quite enjoy the fact that the assignments are not given to us step by step but instead make us think through what is required. The lectures provide the basics needed to complete the assignment but you have to understand and extrapolate on the basics provided. Still very motivated so far. The next course is the main reason I enrolled in this class, getting to play with databases. Thank you Dr. Chuck.

By Bogdan R

Dec 5, 2015

Extremely good explanations as all courses in the specialization (sometimes much too well explained, as the course targets complete beginners). Additionally, it provides a lot of value by effectively stringing a series on mini courses on specific standard Python libraries, which is something not found everywhere:

* the regular expressions library

* libraries for web communication (socket and urllib)

* parsing HTML (beautiful soup)

* data transfer libraries (XML and JSON)

By CHAPPA K

I just finished Using" Python to Access Web Data", which is the 3rd course in the Python for Everybody specialization.The course wasn't so easy as the previous courses in the specialization as I had to spend more time debugging and practicing.This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using webAPIs. We will also work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python.

By KIM S

Jul 6, 2017

If you are a newbie who has no knowledge in this particular area of programming , you will be surprised to know the fact that the more you try to eagerly learn this subject, the less you have confidence in this. However, as I have gone through this course, I have realized one thing that it is worth try, and you will never regret what you have done or will do in the forthcoming journey that you will one day face.

Hope you do not ever give up.

Sincerely,

By Kevin K

Dec 12, 2017

This was an excellent introductory course to accessing web data. Almost all of the concepts (aside from basic python syntax) were entirely new to me, and this has primed me for when I encounter these subjects in the future.

Pros: encompasses many ideas that are important and introduces key concepts

Cons: I'm not positive I can derive most of the codes I wrote on my own, but rather relied on editing sample code to make the assignment submissions work.

By Aditya K

Dec 17, 2019

I personally found Doctor Chuck's thorough approach to be very beginner-friendly. This is an absolute gem of a course for the budding programmers out there who want an insight into the computer networking functionality, serialization and deserialization of data. It is appropriately paced for learning how to parse webpages and interact with APIs. All in all, I'd recommend this course for everyone beginning with scraping webpages. Thank you Coursera!

By Christopher H

Nov 8, 2015

Extremely useful exercises in pulling data down and getting it ready to process within python. Very nice (and refreshing realistic) that the programming assignments were of the form "modify this existing code to do something new with this different data source" rather than "build something new from scratch". No academic hangups about the paedogogical value of building something from the ground up. And Dr. Chuck is a wonderfully engaging teacher.