Back to Python Programming Essentials

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Programming Essentials by Rice University

This course will introduce you to the wonderful world of Python programming! We'll learn about the essential elements of programming and how to construct basic Python programs. We will cover expressions, variables, functions, logic, and conditionals, which are foundational concepts in computer programming. We will also teach you how to use Python modules, which enable you to benefit from the vast array of functionality that is already a part of the Python language. These concepts and skills will help you to begin to think like a computer programmer and to understand how to go about writing Python programs. By the end of the course, you will be able to write short Python programs that are able to accomplish real, practical tasks. This course is the foundation for building expertise in Python programming. As the first course in a specialization, it provides the necessary building blocks for you to succeed at learning to write more complex Python programs. This course uses Python 3. While many Python programs continue to use Python 2, Python 3 is the future of the Python programming language. This first course will use a Python 3 version of the CodeSkulptor development environment, which is specifically designed to help beginning programmers learn quickly. CodeSkulptor runs within any modern web browser and does not require you to install any software, allowing you to start writing and running small programs immediately. In the later courses in this specialization, we will help you to move to more sophisticated desktop development environments....

HR
Jul 3, 2020

This course is such a wonder!! In spite of being an unenthusiastic Computer Science undergraduate, it was this course that cultivated the interest in me. Both the instructors were too good. Thanks :0

JW
Apr 25, 2018

I really enjoyed this course, but I would highly recommend taking something along the lines of Codecademy prior to this one. It will help to get you versed in some of the more basic things in Python.

101 - 125 of 671 Reviews for Python Programming Essentials

By jingyao z

Sep 10, 2019

it's so nice that the course offers step-by-step reference to show me how to complete a code, which will keep me motivated and when i finally complete i got so exciting!

By Carlos E

Nov 30, 2017

Good course, very challenging, particularly as there is a lot of Math included. I do appreciate the approach to teach how to write code in an elegant and structured way.

By Rakesh K

Jul 1, 2020

Easy Course , Lovely Educator means instructor. But for Assignment is very Difficult task.. It take a lot time but watching again and again videos I learned. Thank you

By A_68_Rushabh J

May 16, 2020

A very helpful course to build up the basics of python programming language. The mentors were excellent. I enjoyed the course. Also the project and quizzes were amazing

By Micaela P

Apr 30, 2020

This is an incredibly well-made course! It is clear, engaging and fun, and there are lots of helpful tips/resources for if you are struggling with a particular topic.

By Darshini

Jun 2, 2019

Very helpful course and very clear explanation by the Instructors. Prompt reply by moderators helped me to complete the course. Thanks to Rice University and Coursera

By Lee R

Dec 4, 2017

Am doing this specialization to review and practice my coding skills but it is at the right level for anyone without a background in computer science and programming.

By Ali H I A Z

Apr 22, 2020

Excellent course, the content was to the level expected and the explanation was perfect and easy to work through. challenging task and project but really enjoyed it.

By Scott M

Apr 14, 2018

The Rice team does an excellent job. They explain very well and the forums have lots of great information. They also invest in creating tools for students to use!

By Rahul

Apr 23, 2020

It was an amazing experience. Lecturers taught me very well with a smiley face which kept me so interesting. I liked the course. Thank you Coursera for everything

By Wei Q

Jan 2, 2020

This course is clear and consistent throughout, easy for beginners to get familiar with python, and the humor of Joe and Scott certainly add flavor to the course!

By Zhuoyu C

Nov 25, 2019

Good tutorial, but I think it focus too much on detail for someone who are new to programming. Show them the fancy part first and leave out the redundant details

By Li-Wei H

Jun 2, 2019

Really clear explanation and demonstration. Strongly recommend each of you to complete not just the quiz and/or final project, but also the exercise in each week

By Vivek V A

Mar 16, 2019

This course is very good to know the basics and the assignments are good to test us practically. Overall a good course for a beginner who is looking for Python.

By martin

Jun 12, 2018

Great for beginners, you will get a good start with this class. Clear explanations, and good assignments and materials. Oh, and the professors are great also.

By Virginia G

Oct 30, 2020

Loved this course, it is more challenging than other python intro courses I saw in coursera. I found the exercises very interesting and fun to code. Thanks!

By Pawan D

Feb 27, 2020

This course helped me a lot to learn the basic scripting of Python language.Everyone should go through this course before starting the real world of Python.

By Salvador T R

Jul 22, 2018

It is a great course for anyone who wants to study this language. You dont need to know anything because this course will start from scratch. Great course!

By Mohammed R

Mar 26, 2018

This was a review class for me. Even basic materials, it was good to learn the proper way of doing things. Absolutely recommend to all level of learners.

By Brian R

Nov 20, 2017

I audited the course and it was super insightful. The lessons build smartly on each other. I strongly recommend it if you want to begin to learn python

By Rui J

Sep 16, 2018

This Python course is incredibly great, I had learn a lot Python through this course, and the most important thing is it elicit my passion to coding!

By Adjamilton J

Apr 27, 2018

The step by step methodology and the assignments was what I most liked about the course. I am really glad to have a certificate from Rice University.

By sayantan s

Jul 5, 2020

A great course never have I been taught in this manner,really surprising how a video is more interactive than many of the teachers in our university

By Graeme R

Dec 8, 2020

Excellent intro to Python and logic. Been a long time since l have done it and it brought back a lot of knowledge that l thought l had forgotten

By Guanyu B

Oct 28, 2020

Good course that has a link to Fundamental of Computing. Love Joe and Scott's teaching style.

Want to become one of Rice's students in the future.