Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)

LZ

Sep 04, 2016

The professor's lecture is so awesome, however, the content is adjust to the new programming learners. I heared extended part of the course is charged, you can purchased it if you want deeper learning

TM

Jun 21, 2017

first time i had done any course online and this was a wonderful experience\n\nI learned all the stuff and the explanation provided was good.\n\ni would like to do more courses from here\n\nthank you!

51 - 75 of 17,108 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Frederick U G

Jan 08, 2018

Tan solo auditar este curso me ayudó bastante en el aprendizaje de este lenguage de programación. A penas ahorre el dinero compraré el resto de cursos para seguir adelante. Gracias Charles Severance!!

By Aditya K

Nov 13, 2019

It is a well-paced course that is enticing for those who are just delving into programming as a subject and to the veterans out there looking for a quick introduction to Python and its coherent simplicity and power.

By Nikhil m

Aug 17, 2018

Nice course to have a clear idea of python

By Ishaan k

Nov 06, 2019

This is a very nice start for python beginners. Professor Charles Severence's way to teaching is very good. This course will help you build a strong foundation in python. I liked the conditional sequences lecture from other lectures. The assignments and quize were so engrossing and tricky which helped me a lot. Moreover the discussion forum is a nice help for fellow students. I would recommend you to take this course. I completed this course in 2 days along with all assignments and quiz submitted. The bonus videos give a nice exposure about successful people and career. I also loved them.

By Tushar K

Jul 22, 2017

I feel that course should be split out for people with programming background and the first time Python programmers versus the first time programmers. There was too much repetition in some of the classes around basics of programming than python. Thanks!

By Annachiara K

Aug 15, 2017

If you have taken a C++ course in your life, it will take a 4-5 hors to finish this class. More exercises would compensate the low path of the course.

By Luca

Mar 07, 2018

The course states it is meant to be for everybody but the frequent mention of error messages and how they are not meant to judge the student makes me thing it is meant for teenagers or a generally young audience.

Some concepts are introduced very quickly and without the proper background. The exercises are mostly on the easy side and they do not build on each other (example: functions are introduced in a class but not used in the following exercises). This ends giving the impression that the course is not well structured and does not try to make the student find synergies between concepts.

While this can work somehow for most of the course, the last week sees the introduction of some very advanced concepts (None and IS) which are just barely touched, leaving the student to have to search for information outside of the course. This is made worse by the overtly restrictive requirements of the assignments that use the autograder. The autograder does not let you explore potential pitfalls in your code, which are much better clarified by using the debugger (not introduced) or the python online visualizer (not introduced). I strongly advise to introduce one of these two tools in the course.

By Chris L

Feb 04, 2018

Videos are rambling at points. Also, the code assignments are 1 and done per week. This means they don't nicely build upon one another and that they can be pretty unforgiving if you aren't ready to spit out the culmination of the week's lecturers in 1 go. The course would be better with more focused lecturers and multiple short code assignments that build on one another.

By Lee D

Mar 27, 2017

This course is a first time programming class using Python. This is not what I was looking for. I wanted an introduction to Python for someone who knows a some programming already. Also, this teaches Python 2, which no longer cuts it, especially for an intro class where you'll be taking further work. It may have made sense when this class was done 3 years ago. It does not now.

The teacher was very lively and engaging, and I would enthusiastically recommend taking an online class with him, but the class is out of date and not what I was looking for.

By Stuart K

Jan 27, 2017

The course material is fine. In fact its good. However I completed the entire course in 4 hours. Whilst I have some basic programming experience I am by no means an expert. There really is very very little material in this course. The assignments are also very simple and automatically graded. The course fees are not particularly transparent. I think the course is FAR too expensive for the content provided. All of the other reviews I have seen for this course are a single line such as 'I liked the course a lot' or something equally vacuous and unhelpful. If you are a beginner I would suggest trying 'Python for the absolute beginner' by Michael Dawson. If you have ANY programming experience, you might be better with a more advanced course.

Apr 27, 2019

This is most definitely NOT for "Everybody." The lectures by Severance are great; but, if you get stuck on an assignment, don't expect straightforward, polite direction from the forum and it's TAs. I was shocked by how negative some of the responses were that I received from the TA. I got stuck on a problem. When I ran the program on my Mac, I got the desired result. When I ran the same program on the automatic grader, the program failed. The TA said that I must have run the wrong program on my Mac. No, I did not. I ran the program so many times, I know that I wasn't running the wrong program. I needed help "getting over a hump" and there was no help. As a busy professional, I don't have the life of a full-time student filled with numerous hours to try to figure out where I'm making a mistake. I need direct communication telling me where why my program is failing and why, so I can learn and move on. That was NOT provided in this class. "Clues" were given in the forum, but I don't have time to play games with snarky TAs. I'll find a course that IS for everyone, but this one is NOT it.

By Aayush D

Dec 07, 2018

Too easy of a course, completed in a day without much effort... And didn't really get as much out of it as I thought I would.

By Misha

Feb 18, 2019

Time wasting & rubish

By Kanei P

Jan 13, 2019

Most vague info, assignments don't even have anything to do with the videos, and the videos are not helpful because they don't give any examples. Terrible, and extremely hard. I do not recommend this course to beginners, or to anyone for that fact.

By Stephen Z

Dec 20, 2015

This course has been dumbed down so much that no moderately intelligent person should be subjected to it. Coursera really needs to rethink its approach to teaching. I can only express my sympathy for those were seduced into actually paying for this course.

By Mauricio V

Oct 03, 2016

Very simple, very slow. For someone with programming experience it is a drug, for someone new to programing (I am thinking my son) not very captivating.

By Steve M

Oct 20, 2015

We tried to use this class to teach a brown bag lunch for our employees interested in programming. Python is a great language but this class has a very low content to volume ratio (nobody wants to watch the instructor meet his life-time idol at a trade-show or watch the Intel versus AMD melt-down commercials over their lunch break).

By Bipulendu H

Apr 14, 2016

It does not worth a penny to spend time in this course.

By Terence P

May 11, 2016

To be honest, I thought the course stumbled and fell short. It was too basic and slow paced. The tone was a bit immature at times, and perhaps appropriate only for a grade school level classroom--not something for working professionals. And it's certainly not mature enough or challenging enough for a university class. Even if the goal were to teach those with no programming experience, it could accomplish that while providing more content, and making the content relevant.

Is the course worth the price? Hell no. If you do pay, you may feel very cheated at the end. The entire course can be reduced to 3 pages of notes. One would be better off checking into other free, online tutorials.

I'm not sure about the value of the videos titled "Office Hours." They all appeared as self-promotional behavior from the professor, as if to say, "hey look how great I am making this video in Paris." They're really nothing more than that. In one video, he corners a guest speaker at a conference, who appears annoyed after a few minutes and gives the professor a polite brush-off: "other people here would like to talk with me too." After all of these videos, you will ask yourself, "okay, why did Severance make me watch that?" "What was the point?" And you'll shrug your shoulders and say, "another waste of time."

By Cyntia R T G

Mar 28, 2019

Two weeks of all sort of nonsense, including macarena, Harry Potter, sorting hat, videos of meaningless travels and lots of self-promotion. Pure crap that doesn´t worth anybody´s time. When theory started on week 3 it was confusing, boring and as time is life I decided to quit. It shocked me that a serious university like University of Michigan has a clown on its payroll.

By Jonathan P

Dec 10, 2018

The course is easy to understand, it has very good material.

By Sharad S

Worth It

By Chen Q

Dec 11, 2018

Love this course! Especially when I figure out the solution by what I have learnt in the courses, it gives the sense of successful. I know it is still a long way to become an experts in Python. Thank you. P.S.I Like this lecturer.

By Medha S

Dec 11, 2018

Very nice and enjoyable lessons!

By Vasu M

Dec 11, 2018

Exceptional course for beginners but only meant for beginners.