Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

HB
Aug 21, 2020

I love Coursera , it's so helpful for me . I hope that other lessons and courses are also cool like this and the Dr. Chuck ia the coolest ever teacher i have ever seen so thank you very much Coursera.

KG
Jan 25, 2016

A really simple and what is the most important a clear course.\n\nReally hope that next sessions are created in the same manner.\n\nWill highly recommend to anyone who decides to start studying Python

126 - 150 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Selin A

May 17, 2019

great!

By Pritesh P

Sep 23, 2015

Excellent overview of first few concepts in Programming in Python. Useful in understanding programming concepts (early early stages) for those who have never done programming and refresher for those who have, but it has been a while, I look forward to seeing how the other courses in the this series are. Only reason I didn't give a 5 star rating is because I think in addition to the given assignments there should be an extra assignment per week with practical applications. Granted not enough of the language is know yet to warrant anything really complex, but perhaps just number converter for scientific notation, or a tip calculator with code given that can make it practical to use (connect it to a website or phone application).

By Ishaan k

Nov 6, 2019

This is a very nice start for python beginners. Professor Charles Severence's way to teaching is very good. This course will help you build a strong foundation in python. I liked the conditional sequences lecture from other lectures. The assignments and quize were so engrossing and tricky which helped me a lot. Moreover the discussion forum is a nice help for fellow students. I would recommend you to take this course. I completed this course in 2 days along with all assignments and quiz submitted. The bonus videos give a nice exposure about successful people and career. I also loved them.

By Harsh K M

May 15, 2020

It's not as updated as python's latest version and it's sort of not possible to keep the teaching material up to date, in online courses, I was using Python 3.8.2 while learning this course and the final problem was always giving me an error telling me that " '>' not supported between instances of 'float' and 'NoneType'"

but the problem didn't show me any error on the autograder. so it's cool! and you are a very great professor, really very interesting content!

By Suprita D

Jun 29, 2020

great course, some more examples can be included

By Adarsh T

May 15, 2020

This Course is really very helpful for beginners.

By Tao S

Mar 31, 2020

good course but its more basic than i expected

By Nikhil m

Aug 17, 2018

Nice course to have a clear idea of python

By L S

Jan 3, 2020

NB: I audited this course so did not get feedback on assignments. If you are a true beginner, and have no programming or computer experience whatsoever this course is for you. Dr. Severance explains the concepts VERY well using great metaphors and he's quite engaging. However, he takes an incredibly long time to do this and uses many many words and there are many mostly irrelevant videos. If you have any coding experience at all, you might find it better to download python and the free book (which is written in the same engaging style using the same conceptual metaphors) and go at your own pace. The book is really really fabulous and you don't have to listen to the lectures at 1.5 speed waiting for something useful.

By Maaike G

Jan 28, 2017

Although the course pace was very well suited for a total beginner, I found the didactics of this course not so well-structured. The examples and starter codes caused quite some confusion, and the underlying coding principles were not made very explicit. I've finished an introductory Python course from the University of Toronto, and found that course much better structured. It gave me a level of understanding that I would probably not have reached by following the UMich course alone.

By Chris L

Feb 4, 2018

Videos are rambling at points. Also, the code assignments are 1 and done per week. This means they don't nicely build upon one another and that they can be pretty unforgiving if you aren't ready to spit out the culmination of the week's lecturers in 1 go. The course would be better with more focused lecturers and multiple short code assignments that build on one another.

By Tushar K

Jul 21, 2017

I feel that course should be split out for people with programming background and the first time Python programmers versus the first time programmers. There was too much repetition in some of the classes around basics of programming than python. Thanks!

By Annachiara K

Aug 15, 2017

If you have taken a C++ course in your life, it will take a 4-5 hors to finish this class. More exercises would compensate the low path of the course.

By Josephine W

Sep 7, 2020

The teacher is likeable and the introductory videos really hooked me on the course. However, as a complete beginner, I was very put off by the way that the graded assignments had very little link to the content 'taught' in lectures. In fact, the lectures seem to ramble from one thing to another rather than having the teacher sit down and give step-by-step examples on how to code. Therefore, most of what I learnt was through the textbook that is provided for free anyway, so I may as well have taught a lot of it to myself. After the first few lectures, I stopped feeling as though I was being treated as a beginner, even though this is supposed to be 'Programming for Everybody'. Honestly, a bit of a let down.

By Lee D

Mar 27, 2017

This course is a first time programming class using Python. This is not what I was looking for. I wanted an introduction to Python for someone who knows a some programming already. Also, this teaches Python 2, which no longer cuts it, especially for an intro class where you'll be taking further work. It may have made sense when this class was done 3 years ago. It does not now.

The teacher was very lively and engaging, and I would enthusiastically recommend taking an online class with him, but the class is out of date and not what I was looking for.

By Josh M

Oct 21, 2016

This Course is bad! I try to ask for help and then mentors only reply with I cant help you because of the Honor code. Well tat doesn't sound like much of an honor code to me. Of course I am doing my own work duh! I just need help. Dont we all need help from time to time. I think Coursera needs a lot of improvement. I am extremely dissatisfied with Coursera and this course but especially the mentors and their lack of mentoring. Education should be uplifting and positive and an area where individuals can ask question and receive help and not be scolded for asking help or asking questions like a beat down dog. I mean really I think Coursera needs to go take some hints from a real school or university and seek information on education and how it is best when students teach each other and If I can ask for help and learn from others and give then the opportunity to help me that whats the point of a discussion board. Do away with the discussion board or change the way the honor code is written. Yes I agree with Honor and doing your own work but come on. Help and tutoring is a valuable part of education and necessary to learning! Please make the necessary changes to better Coursera and make it a more positive educational experience. I mean please I am trying the best I can with what I have got and no one seems to want to help me learn and improve on my skills and my understanding. Make changes and make them now.

Another reason I hate this course Is that Coursera does not believe in people helping one another. Then the mentors cant even explain how to work through the problem. The menotrs make things more stressful than they need to be because the dont give help or hints or clues. People need to talk to people on the phone or in person or the instructor needs to give better examples so people can better figure things out on their own. I just think Coursera is crap and this has been a very unpleaseant experience for me. Then on the discussing board i see others struggling with the same things and the mentos dont help them. People are pleading for help and not receiving any guidance or direction to help them figure things out. Things need to change with this program. They need to change soon!

By ARUN K B

Dec 14, 2019

This course is absolutely pathetic. The instructor is condescending and there is very little that you can learn from this course. The course is structured poorly. Short videos that have very little connection with the actual course material are thrown around the course structure. There is no continuity because of these videos. This is definitely not good quality material on python for beginners. Do not be deceived by the high rating of the course. You will be disappointed.

By Mauricio V

Oct 2, 2016

Very simple, very slow. For someone with programming experience it is a drug, for someone new to programing (I am thinking my son) not very captivating.

By Aayush D

Dec 7, 2018

Too easy of a course, completed in a day without much effort... And didn't really get as much out of it as I thought I would.

By Bipulendu H

Apr 14, 2016

It does not worth a penny to spend time in this course.

By Misha