Back to Qualitative Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Qualitative Research Methods by University of Amsterdam

In this course you will be introduced to the basic ideas behind the qualitative research in social science. You will learn about data collection, description, analysis and interpretation in qualitative research. Qualitative research often involves an iterative process. We will focus on the ingredients required for this process: data collection and analysis. You won't learn how to use qualitative methods by just watching video's, so we put much stress on collecting data through observation and interviewing and on analysing and interpreting the collected data in other assignments. Obviously, the most important concepts in qualitative research will be discussed, just as we will discuss quality criteria, good practices, ethics, writing some methods of analysis, and mixing methods. We hope to take away some prejudice, and enthuse many students for qualitative research....

KF

Dec 21, 2018

I found this a very useful way of getting a basic introduction to qualitative research methods, without just sitting down with some text books. The content was engaging and at the right level for me.

DR

Oct 09, 2016

The teacher is really passionate, everything's very clear and easy to understand. It's full of all the basic knowledge one needs to know about qualitative research methods to begin working with them.

51 - 75 of 272 Reviews for Qualitative Research Methods

By Jonathan G

Dec 13, 2016

This was a tougher course than I expected, but Dr. Moerman does a great job of taking a huge field with some inherently fuzzy concepts and practices, then breaking them down logically. The focus on assignments more than exams is really useful, since so much of qualitative research involves talking, listening, and writing.

By Bikash D

Jul 23, 2019

It's really a very good course. I am from technical background but Dr. Gerben Moerman taught in such an interesting way it's really very helpful to me. He created an interest for the subject. Really good course and really good teacher. I will ask those who are starting their Ph. D must do this course in their coursework.

By Giulia L

May 13, 2020

I truly appreciated this course, the professor's approach and way of teaching. It has been very inspiring and made me love qualitative research even more!

I am not sure that this is applicable, BUT I would have appreciated even more if more qualitative research designs have been described.

Thank you for that course!!

By Linda.Zh

Aug 29, 2017

It is a fantastic course. It deepens my understanding of qualitative research methods and prepares me with basic skills in doing qualitative research. It is perfect for beginners. The lecturer Dr Moerman is very passionate, logic and funny in these lectures. It has been a very enjoyable learning experience.

By Nabaraj G

Oct 16, 2019

This is most promising course ever offered online which includes very practical aspects of the qualitative research design and its application. Further, the mixing of qualitative and quantitative research is most interesting part.

I recommend this course for the academicians and development practitioner.

By Sheetal S

May 03, 2020

Being a development practitioner, it is very important for me to equip with knowledge and skills for conducting, interpreting and analyzing qualitative research. This course is a perfect blend of theory, analysis and examples. I am very happy to have enrolled into the course and building my knowledge.

By Juliana M

Nov 16, 2018

The course is great! I came out of it with enough knowledge to start reading the books recommended by . the professor and I am having a very good time with them. The course gave me enough knowledge to be able to understand the area's language and apply some of the things I learned at my work.

By Polina B

Apr 03, 2017

I liked the course a lot. I was impressed by Dr Moerman's passion to qualitative research methods (though sometimes his vivid gesticulation and jumping distracted me from the material). Assignments were quite useful for understanding of course concepts, though they took a lot of time.

By Aigli R

Mar 21, 2018

Very informative course, very engaging videos and assignments that might come along as time consuming but that they really help you to grasp each concept/ tehcnique discussed. Highly recommended for people interested in research methods (not only qualitative) in social sciences.

By Raúl A A R

Jun 25, 2016

Awesome course!

I loved the lectures and the homework assignments. They were fun and creative. Dr. Moerman is very well prepared in this subjects and his explanations were engaging and thought provoking. I hope I can meet him some day to thank him personally.

Greetings!

By Fariza A T

Mar 24, 2016

Great course! I am new in the field of qualitative research and I am enjoying every lecture here. Gerben is an interesting lecturer. I wish I could attend some of his class in person. I guess it must be difficult to fall asleep in his classes with his expressiveness.

By Stella G

Feb 05, 2018

Very good course and very worthwhile your time. The lecturer is very enthusiastic and will also make you enthusiastic about qualitative research. To really understand qualitative research you need to do more reading on your own but this course gives a good overview

By Ghayda A

Mar 24, 2016

I really enjoyed the course, I learned a lot and I am planning to do more focused reading on qualitative methods especially analysis. Gerban's presentations are excellent, I wish all tutors are like him, they are organised, clear and easy to understand.

By sajal n

May 27, 2017

I owe a lot to the instructors. I couldn't have got a better introduction to the subject. I use this knowledge everyday. I wish, someday I could meet the instructors and personally thank them for crating such beautiful course. I Wish them all the best!

By Ana P C T

Nov 20, 2019

I like it. I love them. I learned so much about differente theories and practice methods. I love that other classmates reviewed my activities and they fedback . I am gointo take other courses whit them about qualitative research methos.

Thanks so much

By Mithilesh K P

Jun 09, 2020

Very Good course. You can start as a basic learner and gain some real insights into qualitative research. And if you already have a background of qualitative research then this can help you to further clarify your concepts and upgrade your skills.

By Larissa

Apr 20, 2016

Good combination of theory and practice. For the assignments you have to conduct an observation and an interview and analyse your collected data, without doing this as a researcher there won't be a complete understanding of the discussed theory.

By Teresa S C

Jun 17, 2018

An excellent course for a foundation on qualitative research methods. The lecturer does a great job at communicating complex concepts in an effective and attractive way (so much energy!). I loved the focus on research ethics. Thank you!

By Jennifer S

Oct 27, 2016

Great introductory course, with interesting, practical assignments and a very engaging lecturer. I recommend it for those at undergraduate/early stages of post-graduate studies who want to get a leg up in qualitative research methods.

By Luke M

Dec 08, 2015

The lecturer makes difficult concepts very approachable as well as making them interesting. These are some of the best explanations I have seen that are also easily accessible to undergraduates and learners new to this material.

By Aigerim K

May 06, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I have learned a lot about qualitative research methods and I will apply this knowledge in my future research. Professor Moerman's instruction is engaging and comprehensible. Thank you.

By SEHA-07697

Mar 25, 2020

Excellent course and the Professor Moerman is amazing , his energy and dedication are inspiring , I really enjoyed this course. I am a healthcare provider and during the COVID 19 stress attending this course was my

By Alexandre F B

The course is a good opportunity to catch up with qualitative methods! Very difficult course that requires a lot of dedication and effort from the student. Video lectures are great! I recommend this course.

By Javaria S

Jun 07, 2020

This course has helped in understanding qualitative research methods the way they should be understood.I,highly recommend this course to early -career researchers who want to excel in qualitative research.

By Ibrahim N

Jun 13, 2017

I never had such kind of amazing online course experience before. The main reason is the mentor - Gerben Moerman. He was very dynamic and extraordinary. He really taught in the active and interesting way.