Back to Qualitative Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Qualitative Research Methods by University of Amsterdam

In this course you will be introduced to the basic ideas behind the qualitative research in social science. You will learn about data collection, description, analysis and interpretation in qualitative research. Qualitative research often involves an iterative process. We will focus on the ingredients required for this process: data collection and analysis. You won't learn how to use qualitative methods by just watching video's, so we put much stress on collecting data through observation and interviewing and on analysing and interpreting the collected data in other assignments. Obviously, the most important concepts in qualitative research will be discussed, just as we will discuss quality criteria, good practices, ethics, writing some methods of analysis, and mixing methods. We hope to take away some prejudice, and enthuse many students for qualitative research....

KF

Dec 21, 2018

I found this a very useful way of getting a basic introduction to qualitative research methods, without just sitting down with some text books. The content was engaging and at the right level for me.

AW

Aug 31, 2019

Really enjoyed this course. The lectures were engaging, the assignments applicable. I really enjoyed being able to review other classmates' assignments from around the world. Very cool concept.

176 - 200 of 255 Reviews for Qualitative Research Methods

By VINCENT O O

Sep 07, 2016

Awesome!

By Cui L

good

By 王金娜

Oct 13, 2016

Aug 18, 2017

V

By Arwin v d P

Jun 21, 2017

This course is an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge on Qualitative Research. Prof. Gerben Moerman is one of the most excited teachers you'll ever 'watch' during any lesson, which makes it even more fun to watch all the lessons. On top of that, the course really touches upon the most important things about this kind of research in a very enjoyable (and not boring-lame-exhausting) way. You have to invest some serious time in doing your weekly tasks, but they are all interesting and easy to make you grab the essence of doing Qualitative Research. Overall, I enjoyed this course very much. It's a lot better than the experience I had at the faculty of religionstudies in Groningen, The Netherlands.

By Tian R

Jun 17, 2020

Thank you for putting this course together. It provided a great introductory overview of qualitative research methods! In terms of feedback: I felt that the assignments could have been a bit more challenging. I felt some of them were too easy. Also, while completing my peer review tasks, I noted several times that many individuals failed to follow assignment instructions. Perhaps find a way to make these instructions more clear. With respect to course content, I would have liked to have seen more in depth information on how to conduct qualitative analysis (e.g., thematic analysis). Thanks again!

By Samantha T

Feb 03, 2020

Overall - well-designed course from a learning perspective. From an examination perspective, often the midterm and final exams did not match up to the topics covered as it did in the Quantitative Research Methods. Being unfamiliar with the course content, I'm sure an expert opinion (someone who is quite familiar with the material) could see the parts examined being similar enough to the content.

By Anastasiya K

Mar 08, 2020

This course is great and can help you to understand that qualitative researches isn't 'the simple way' to do researches, but difficult too. But minus 1 star for tests – maybe, it's because i'm not a native English speaker, it was difficult for me to understand that the questions are in the test and correspond with the answers (such problems are not resolved in the lectures themselves).

By Julieta R G

Nov 17, 2017

Excellent in everthing! Fun and very interesting! One thing only would make it perfect. Instead of having the slides as notes, the same info could be organised differently in a word document, as it would be easier to read and to print out. But other than that, it was excellent! The prof. is engaging and the lectures very well orgaqnised. Besides, difficult material was made easy.

By Luciano S

The course is interesting in general, specially the lectures. But I found myself confused with the written exercises. Instructions were sometimes different (or incoherent) from the evaluation process. The course could gain from a more straightforward grade system like the one in the quantitative research methods course.

By Stephanie S

Apr 14, 2016

Very enthusiastic lecturer, which made learning that much more enjoyable! The course content is fantastic. My only comment is the grading system for the assignments / how the assignments are designed - in my opinion the grading system could be improved to reflect efforts and correct submission done by students.

By zeba a

Sep 20, 2017

Its a good introductory course on the topic. Of course, the subject is too wide to fit in a month-long mooc but I felt it was a good primer and touched about key aspects of Qualitative Research Methods, with good references and sign-posting to further in-depth study on the specific topics.

By Danielle L

Nov 07, 2017

Overall, a very good course. I'm more analytically minded so I took it as a part of the sequence and there was a bit of a reckoning since it's not a way that I usually think. Regardless, the material was well presented and the lecturer is nothing if not enthusiastic.

By Celina T C

Mar 06, 2020

This is an excellent course, very well explained by the enthusiastic instructor, but I give four stars because of the slides at the end of each lesson. Not always you can understand very well the content of the course because they seem incomplete.

By Ingo V

Jun 04, 2016

good; but not as good as the other modules in the specialisation; the instructions for the assignments are a bit too convoluted, clarity would be added not by adding more information, but by reducing the text.

By Marius P

Feb 10, 2016

good course, well thought through.

some of the lectures didn't quite get the message across clearly and some of the assignments didn't quite measure what they intended, but overall i was much impressed, thanks.

By Sandeep K

Jul 24, 2017

Good Course and provide me basic understanding of Qualitative Research Methods.I will be great if course PDF Transcript will be provided as in Quantitative course instead of Presentation Slides.

By Rafael d M B

Jul 05, 2020

It is better than the quantitative one, but the assignments are really really long and the minimum level of 80% on the final and midterm exams is very high. 70% would be good enough.

By deirdre d

Dec 03, 2015

it was a lot of work and there were some errors and issues, esp. trouble with peer review. the professor was dynamic and encouraging. content and most activities were very helpful.

By Athira S

May 13, 2020

This was my very first online course. I had good experience with the team, especially our lecturer was really encouraging. You could have asked us to submit the codes we made.