Back to Quantitative Methods

LG

Jan 05, 2018

AL

May 08, 2018

It is well-structured and informative. The pop up questions are interactive and the animation is fun. I have learned a lot from the video instruction, recommended readings, and assignments. Thanks.

326 - 350 of 401 Reviews for Quantitative Methods

Mar 11, 2016

I

By Sara E M

Feb 15, 2016

I really enjoyed this course overall (and it was somewhat easy for me because I have some background in this already), but there were some technical issues especially regarding accessing assignments. It would be nice if there was a more robust group of volunteer tutors/teaching assistants or something to answer questions or deal with these technical issues, especially the final exam not working for a while for me and some other people. But, I enjoyed the illustrations (drawings) and cute examples, and also the lecturer did a pretty good job on camera. I would probably give this course a 4.5 if possible, but I am hesitant to give it a full 5 points because of the technical issues. Anyway I would recommend the course to someone who wants a survey of quantitative methods to prepare for future study.

By Irene P

Jun 25, 2018

I had no grounding in quantitative research methods before doing this course, although I have an undergraduate humanities degree with some background in the philosophical foundations of the course (e.g. epistemology, ontology). I found that the course was pitched at a good level for me. It gave a clear, thorough overview of quantitative research. I enjoyed the simplicity of the videos and the appeal of the cartoons, but I also really appreciated the additional interviews with social scientists and the use of real academic articles in the assignments, as it allowed me a more nuanced understanding and application of the concepts. (Useful to note: I took notes as I watched the lectures, and I found it took a lot longer than the recommended time, because the lectures are very content-dense.)

By Jennifer B

Jan 28, 2020

I thought the content, progress quiz questions, and other materials were very helpful. I'm glad I took this course, even if you know some of the material it's great for reinforcement and introducing other topics. I do agree with others though that the assignments are a bit hard to tackle. I work in UX Research, so it was refreshing an a nice challenge to review scientific papers, however I would have liked more variation in the types of assignments and -many- of my peers in the group didn't seem to understand the instructions or maybe didn't put in the effort. I think peer review is valuable, but the course seemed to rely on this activity and the articles a lot, which was a stumbling block. That being said, I would recommend this course.

By Rachel S

Apr 18, 2018

I very much liked the content of the course, the pace was nicely pitched, and the videos really well done. I also liked that I could print the script for each module, that made it a lot easier to revise. And I also found the practice exam really useful where the course convener explained the answers in separate videos.

I think it would be really helpful if similar videos could exist for each of the written assignments. The feedback we receive from peers is usually limited to a couple of words (e.g. 'well done') and does not really help you assess how well you did. Having someone who teaches the course provide sample answers or discussion videos for each written assignment would add a lot of value and aid students' learning.

By Tiago F d B D

Feb 29, 2016

Good Course. It should be complemented with reading of Neuman, Quantitative and Qualitative Methods in Social Science, which gives a far better overview of the contents of week 1 and 2 (insights into the scientific method). Nevertheless the rest of the weeks are very good and should provide a great framework of Quantitative methods for a undergraduate student, who can then complement this framework with some detailed additional readings, if it is of his liking. All in all, I really ended my fisrt college semester with an excellent knowledge in quantitative methods, for which I have to thank, in part to Miss Scholten for this wonderful course.

By Yasar M

Oct 12, 2018

Excellent course. It provides beginners with the working knowledge on how to conduct quantitative research. However, the high passing criteria on weekly quizzes and final exam was frustrating at times. I suggest to ask the participants to develop a product by applying the concepts they have learnt during each week and evaluate (and pass) participants on the basis of this product. Moreover, I missed expert feedback. Although peer evaluation and feedback is very good but it should be augmented by expert feedback (ideally someone from the course staff should also give feedback).

By Marie R

Oct 18, 2016

I really felt this course was well presented and easily accessed for working learners. If you wish to build your skills in this area, this course is a good way to do it. My only hesitation regarding this course pertains to the time and energy spent on historical or largely theoretical constructs, such as what Plato thought or did not think about the nature of reality. To me, this should be an applied learning course given its nature and spending time and energy on this seems an academic exercise of little importance to the ability to understand research.

By Gavin Y

Dec 24, 2019

I enjoyed this course and it was very useful to me. My only gripe is that I received no feedback from qualified people. Yes, the tests were feedback but I received no such feedback on the writing assignments. How could I know if my ideas were right or not? You might supply an example essay written by a qualified researcher or choose an exemplary one from the students to showcase. This course was a bit challenging and it was better than I expected. I would strongly consider taking another course through this university. Thank you.

By Sebbane E

Jan 12, 2017

Very good and quality training : videos and material are in a very good quality. Assignments make well practice the acquired knowledge and the final exam reviews all lectures in a very practical way that allowed me to make the infinite connections until the end.

The only negatively appreciated aspect is the issue to be graded when you submit your assignment few days later. Also, there is no real mentor from the university. These are very critical points that should really exist in a paid online course.

By Judith E

Jun 01, 2017

A very interesting course - I learned a lot. I thought it was a shame that my elective assignment in week 6 was not marked - perhaps if you're offering extra assignments, it might be worth having mentors checking and grading them. Apart from that, the video lectures are informative and enjoyable, as are the interviews, and there is a nice mix of assignments with practical and theoretical applications.

By Anusha C

Jan 28, 2019

This course id deceptively simple. you think you know the meaning of those terms like reliability and validity and other terms but when you do this course you realize how nuanced those terms are. To be honest I expected a little more fro the course but I also learnt a lot. What I rally liked were the interviews.They ere informative and first hand information.

By Allison B H

Nov 26, 2017

The course was thorough, and introduced the concepts clearly and concisely. My only quibble is that its geared toward the experimental sciences and so the exams and assignments emphasized concepts and research design issues that are less germane to other fields. I got a bit impatient with that towards the end. Otherwise, fantastic.

By Sarath C P T

Jun 04, 2017

The lectures are pretty good from a theoretical point of view as it breaks down the finer details in understanding the concepts pretty well. Only thing is I wish the Professor had used slightly more practical or real world experiments to explain the concepts instead of examples like rating mother-in-laws and love towards cats etc.

By Jan B

Aug 24, 2019

Very good course, the videos were entertaining and the tasks forced me to use the newly acquired knowledge in practice. Still, I guess we all would benefit from a longer project completed part by part, for example, a study using some database. In this way, it would bring even more benefits.

By Rebecca T

Nov 09, 2018

The lectures can be a little bit dry. However, I really appreciate how very well organized the lectures and the other course content is. It made it very easy to understand the content, and study for the tests. I also learned a lot of really useful basics for conducting better research.

By Mohammad J

Dec 30, 2017

the first 3 weeks were a little difficult to follow but then i catch up with the terms and definitions, week 4 became very enjoyable. wish i could took the quiz without payment.

You must listen to the interviews. Interviews are the best part that sum up all ideas on the related week.

By Ioannis I

Mar 25, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. The theoretical part on philosophy was rather boring and although I could see why it's there, it never intigued me. Everything was nicely put together and very informative! Things I knew about conducting research is much more clear to me now.

By Catherine C

Nov 15, 2016

The lecture content covers the most basic concepts of quantitative research. It would be helpful to you if you have no experience in quantitative research before. But personally I think the lecturer covers too much on history--I had a hard time remembering the names.

By Melanie W

Nov 07, 2019

Overall the course was great. The only major critique that I have is that the exam questions were often worded unclearly, which sometimes caused me to get answers wrong for concepts that I actually understood. Otherwise I'm very happy with the quality of the course!

By Maria G

Sep 26, 2015

Nicely explained with easy to understand examples. Quite hard for those who have never studied research methods. Very dense information. I found one or two questions in the weekly quiz that I couldn`t answer with the knowledge available in the videos.