Back to Quantitative Methods

LG
Jan 4, 2018

AL
May 7, 2018

It is well-structured and informative. The pop up questions are interactive and the animation is fun. I have learned a lot from the video instruction, recommended readings, and assignments. Thanks.

51 - 75 of 650 Reviews for Quantitative Methods

By Apoorva V S

Dec 19, 2015

This is a course that is well thought out, informative, descriptive, and enjoyable! I was excited to start each new week of Quantitative Methods, and to learn more about research methods! I definitely recommend this course to anyone who is interested in research, and this will help strengthen your basics in quantitative methods. I commend Prof. Annemarie Zand Scholten, and the rest of the team from UAmsterdam for bringing a wonderful course to the Coursera platform! I can't wait to start & finish the rest!

By Karen l

Nov 25, 2017

This was a clearly structured and clearly presented course. The lecturer, the explanations and the examples used also well supported the course content. I would highly recommend this course to those new to the subject. For some constructive criticism, I noted that some of the questions in the tests in particular were somewhat strangely worded which sometimes made me question what exactly you were trying to get at. I'd suggest simpler and more precise wording to avoid that. All round, great course though.

By Ahmed R

Aug 4, 2017

My deepest Gratitudes to Assistant Professor

Annemarie Zand Scholten.

for her amazing work ( well-prepared lectures with lot's of assignments to solve in addition extra reading links and bonus videos are very helpful and very beneficial.

To sum up, the course is a great experience if anyone is interested in obtaining and gaining useful information and knowledge about Social Sciences further, Quantitative Methods.

Finally, I am so excited to finish the entire track one course done 4 to go.

By Claudia L

Jan 24, 2016

Funny, useful, clear and serious too. I loved it. Many methodology courses before, but this one addresses also ethics on research practices and History of philosophy of science. simply I adored it and learned a lot. I strongly recommend it. It is so useful for my work and my everyday life. Interviews with real researchers and revising real publications helped me to conect contents with my inmediate reality.. Thanks to all team and congratulations for such a great course.

By Ivan J S L

Mar 27, 2020

I enjoyed my enrolment in this course. I wanted to be refreshed in quantitative methods, from my classes in university, but I didn't know there was just a lot to be reminded of! There is a lot of terms, but I enjoyed it because I love keeping notes. The pdf transcribed notes were a really huge help. The instructor, Annemarie Scholten, is really fun to listen to, and very bright. I recommend this course, especially to teachers, writers, and young researchers like myself.

By Stephanie d R

Feb 21, 2016

The course convenor is lively, personable and enthusiastic, which helps keep the learner engaged and interested.

All the concepts discussed are exemplified explicitly via simple case studies, so that learners can make sense of new, abstract knowledge.

The learning material is broken down into logically sequenced, bite-sized chunks, and there are plenty of concept visualisations - the illustrations are great!

Thank you, Annemarie and Team, this is a fantastic course.

By Matthew L

Jan 31, 2019

This was my first MOOC - I was really impressed with the level of detail in the lectures and I found the bonus videos to be really interesting and insightful. The short quizzes throughout the lecture videos helped me to focus on the content of each video, and the assignments were fun and really made me reflect on the content of the lectures. I thought the lecturer prepared very well, and seemed to genuinely enjoy the content which I really appreciated.

By Tom C

May 23, 2019

A great introduction to social science methods. I'm a philosophy of technology PhD student who was in desperate need of learning the fundamentals of social science methods and this course definitely delivered. The course is clearly structured and presents its material in a logical, engaging manner. Would recommend to anyone that wants (or needs to) learn how to conduct and evaluate solid social science. Plus, there's plenty of cat animations!

By Linda.Zh

Jun 4, 2017

It is a fabulous course. It helps me to understand basic concepts in quantitative research methods, and the way how scientific discoveries should work and actually works. Most important of all, I have benefited greatly from professor Scholten's clear and logic style of lecturing and well-designed assignments, which has developed my evaluative skills in applying the new knowledge to assess the methodological quality of real research work.

By Shklyaeva O

Dec 18, 2017

This course was just amazing! I love the way it is structured and especially the way the matherial learned was reflected in the tasks for each week. It is nothing like the formal education I've got in my country and I'm really grateful for an opportunity to learn form greatest minds while sitting at home. Thank you so much for the structured fundamental information and the additional interviews which were very valuable!

Best of luck!

Olena

By Ilina I

Feb 7, 2016

An excellent course! Quantitative methods are very well explained, starting from philosophical roots. I liked a lot the challenging tasks and peer review principal. By checking my peers' work I was able to learn several times more than from just going through the videos and completing my own work. I enjoyed the whole design of the course, including the professional illustrations and graphic design work. Great thanks to the whole team!

By Kerry

Mar 9, 2020

Excellent management of this course! The animated lectures kept me interested and assisted with a thorough explanation of content. Great examples! The sessions with interviews from experts was an added bonus. The peer grading exercises provided additional opportunity for me to study and strengthened my knowledge. I applaud the facilitator and highly recommend this course to persons interested in learning about quantitative methods!

By Heater B

Oct 26, 2015

The first time I actually finished a coursera course! The course creators have obviously put a lot of time and effort into creating this course. The lectures extremely well done, the material and assignments are challenging but not impossible and the material is presented in such a way that even qualitative researchers like myself (no know for their passion for quantitative research) can get excited about the material!

By Soh W K

Apr 10, 2020

This Course, perhaps is one of the most Important Course that I learnt in my lifetime! It is not easy to go through this course, it requires a lot of logical analysis, deduction, induction, Hypothesis Postulation, and also reading and detecting Good Science versus Sloppy Science! I would recommend it to any Scientist pursuing, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Sociology, Psychology, Political, the method is wonderful!

By Megan

Nov 27, 2016

This course is very dense. The videos are short and to the point, making it a great overall review of the material, or very easy to review the challenging portions if it's your first time being introduced to it.

The explanations are very clear, and assume no previous knowledge or subject-specific vocabulary. The illustrations help a great deal with my ability to stay focused, and the digestibility of the content.

By Mava S

Apr 16, 2020

I thought the concepts taught in the course were really useful and clearly explained. The assignments were interesting and really pushed us to apply the knowledge learned in the course to real life research. I just regret there wasn't a correct answer with explanation provided for each quiz and assignment. It would help those who take this course to really learn the concepts beyond getting a certificate.

By R. E

Mar 31, 2018

Useful information presented in a step-by-step, easy to follow way. I stayed motivated throughout the course and was pleased with the content. Moreover, the additional interviews after each week extended the material from the virtual classroom to the real world of scientific research. This course is a solid introduction to Quantitative Methods. I plan to continue and finish the entire Specialization.

By Muhammad R M

Aug 27, 2020

The best course so far. To the point. Without comprehending the course-materials one cannot pass. The smartest instructor ever encountered in my life. However, I reckon, the instructor favors the experimental method of research as she used the three research papers for learning purposes used the experimental method. Well. True: Experimental research design is the science's best defense. Learn a lot.

By Mayte V

Dec 12, 2016

Me ha gustado mucho realizar este curso. No ha sido facil para mi, que no soy experta en la materia, y me hubiera gustado tener acceso a tutorias personalizadas, a alguna via de pregunatr dudas a los/as profesores, pero salvo esa "deficiencia! eu ela entiendo, estoy muy satisfecha. Las clases, los materiales, los ejercicios.... permiten un aprendizaje más que aceptable sobre metodos de investigacion.

By Kira K

Sep 8, 2015

Excellent! The course is extremely well thought over and executed, even in minor aspects of the course, like scripts, additional pieces of information, exams, created just for practice with feedback, great exercises. The content is highly relevant, well structured and illustrated, clearly laid out. The course is very challenging, thought provoking and stimulating, though it is not an easy course.

By Chuwen Z

Aug 22, 2019

This course is great because it teaches me a lot things about basic academic research. From the philosophy to the ethic principles we are required to follow. The assignments are interesting because it not only checks our knowledge but also trains our writing and expressing capabilities . The peer review section give me an opportunity to receive more different perspective which are wonderful.

By Diederik S

May 27, 2021

Excellent course! Interesting material, very well-taught, beautiful design, and to-the-point assignment, quizzes and final exam. I consider this the 'new' learning method in which online courses compell you to dive into the material and really enrich yourself with knowledge, more so than the more 'traditional' lectures. I compliment AZS and her colleagues for creating this beautiful course.

By Amanda P

Jan 11, 2021

Great introductory course. Would recommend for researchers from the humanities who are less familiar with scientific and quantitative methods It helps to learn the vocabulary. Lecturer is engaging and the materials are pitched at an appropriate level and user-friendly. I found I benefited from doing the creative and evaluative assignments as it forced me to put new knowledge into practice.

By Andrae A

Oct 27, 2017

This was a great introduction to Quantitative research methods. It is not an easy course by any means, but if you take notes as you watch the videos and do the practice tests, you will do fine. After taking this course, I decided to take the rest of the courses to complete the Research Specialization. If you want to learn about research and statistics, this course is a great starting point.

By Giulia L

May 13, 2020

I would implement a part regarding the analysis of the data - just talking, for instance, about the types of statistical analysis, the parameters that are most useful, or how to represent data in different graphics.

However, very well done. I enjoyed that course and I also like the first part on the epistemology, etc... which I think is important to know.

Thank you for such a good course!!